[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

OK All you Whisky Lovers what's the best

JoJoTheWebToedBoy

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

All of the above, but neat if I have to pick

Good. Because you're typically wasting money on good whiskey if you're putting it in a mix drink.

I'm partial to Bushmill's 16 year. It isn't the most expensive hooch on the planet, but dollar for dollar its my favorite Irish whiskey.

As far as American whiskey goes, I'm personally not into the mass-produced blended stuff, except for mixed drinks. But I've got some Jim Beam in my cabinet, which is just fine for bourbon style whiskey. Johnny Walker makes some high end stuff that's great, but for that price I'd rather have....

My all-time favorite: a scotch whiskey from a Speyside distillery by the name of Glenfarclas. Their 25 year old stuff is killer. The 17 year is also very good, and its a better dollar for dollar value. But if could pick only one hard liquor to sip for the rest of my years, it'd be the 25 year. I'm sure there is better or more expensive whiskey out there. And I certainly don't roam the Scottish lowlands taste testing. But that's my 2 cents, for what its worth.

Edited by yo mama

I've got a good client that buys me a bottle of Dom every Christmas...and I don't even care for champagne. I wish there was some nice way to hint at a bottle of fine whiskey. I'd love to have something nice laying around that I could sip on every now and again. My wife and I always drink the Dom New Year's Eve and I always feel like I wasted $175.

Are you looking for bourbon? Rye? Scotch? Irish Whisley?

there's some very different stuff out there.

My favorites from each category:

Bourbon: If you put a gun to my head an told me I could only ever have one bourbon for the rest of my life, I would have to choose between Knob Creek and Woodford Reserve, with the Woodford getting the nod in the end.

Scotch: If I had to drink one scotch it would be easy. Balvenie Doublewood 12 year old Single Malt scotch

Irish Whiskey: I will admit to not being particularly picky here, Tullamore Dew, Jamesons, or Bushmills all do the trick

Rye: Sazerac is easily my favorite.

Would depend on what you want to pay.

A 15 year old Glenfiddich single malt is nice. The 12 year old is pretty good too.

For major kicking back and enjoying some great music I am partial to the 21 year old Glenlivet Archive....but that is major bucks.

I stay away from all that blended swill. Single malt whiskey is the only true way to go.

Don't think the thread from way back is still around....but if you could find it you will see a lot of really great whisky being mentioned that would probably meet your needs.

Would depend on what you want to pay.

A 15 year old Glenfiddich single malt is nice. The 12 year old is pretty good too.

For major kicking back and enjoying some great music I am partial to the 21 year old Glenlivet Archive....but that is major bucks.

I stay away from all that blended swill. Single malt whiskey is the only true way to go.

Don't think the thread from way back is still around....but if you could find it you will see a lot of really great whisky being mentioned that would probably meet your needs.

Have you tried the 18 yr old Glenfiddich? I kinda like the 12 and 15 better plus the 18 you're getting up to about fifty dollars a bottle.

I used to drink more scotch than I do now. When I was, I like Talisker and drank Dewers when I wasn't feeling spendy. Now when I drink brown liquor, I tend towards bourbon or rye. It's hard to go wrong with Makers or Jim Beam Rye and most of the fancy single barrel stuff is pretty damned good.

I've got enough expensive tastes when it comes to food and drink, scotch is just not one of them.

I don't drink Whisky that much, but my Dad does.

His everyday drink is the blended Dewers.

Wife and I picked him up a bottle of Glenfiddich from the duty free shop. I want to say it is the 15.....around $60 here ($45 duty free). Hope he likes it.

A buddy drinks it more than me. Some brands I've seen him have

Glenlivet

Laphroaig

Glenmorangie

I've heard some of the Higher end Johnnies can be good (blue, green, gold?)

Good Luck.

Not a big scotch guy, but for

Bourbon: Caveman Nick beat me to these two:

** Woodford Reserve ** If you've never had it, do yourself a favor. Soooooo good.

Knob Creek is very, very good, and second only to Woodford IMO.

Makers Mark is just OK in comparison to the two above.

Irish Whiskey: Jameson's 1780 (12 year) is right tasty. I have a bottle of that for special occasions. Regular Jameson is good too.

Tennessee Whiskey: I'll always love Jack Daniel's, but I drink more bourbon nowadays.

Bourbon: Caveman Nick beat me to these two:

** Woodford Reserve ** If you've never had it, do yourself a favor. Soooooo good.

Knob Creek is very, very good, and second only to Woodford IMO.

Makers Mark is just OK in comparison to the two above.

Ok, I'm intrigued now. I love Makers but usually drink it with Coke or Ginger Ale. How do you drink the better stuff like Woodford?

$1,500.00...better do more than make me drunk! :D

I'm not a big drinker anymore, when I was I more preferred Bud Light & a freezing bottle of Jaeger to anything else. However as I'm getting older my tastes have evolved into trying the finer things. Whiskey has been one thing I've hesitated on because I've never had anything better than Gentleman Jack and Crown. Crown was ok, but I always found the flavors a bit too rough for my tastes. To me before whiskey was a thing for old guys & mixed drinks, but lately I've been wanting to give it a real shot (no pun intended). Anyone have something that will not break the bank & should give me a very good starting point to enlighten my taste buds?

stay away from all that blended swill. Single malt whiskey is the only true way to go.

I think "swill" is a bit of a matter of opinion on this one :D

I know many guys that like good joos, but swear by Johnnie Walker when it comes to scotch. It's not bad, it's just not my preferred choice.

Ok, I'm intrigued now. I love Makers but usually drink it with Coke or Ginger Ale. How do you drink the better stuff like Woodford?

Straight up, rocks, or even with a splash of coke are all OK by me. Depends on my mood and the social situation.

I think I prefer on the rocks for Woodford. I know some purists will poo-poo me, but I like my drinks cool, and there is something about the texture of liquor as it just starts to mix with ice that feels and tastes good on my tongue.