[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Rules to Remember for Next Year

Egret

Don't listen to Irish's rankings.

I know he spent a lot of time on them and it was a nice gesture, but at least of all rankings are wrong. The season is in constant flux and you never know what will transpire.

It's all guesswork anyway.

So says the guy that lost to me in the Huddle Ladder Championship game. Can you say bitter!?! :D But then again I know you're just fishing. :D The reality is I used my rankings to draft in 5 leagues. I was in the Playoffs in all 5, finished 1st in 2 of them, 2nd by 4 points in another, and 3rd in the last 2 and in both of the 3rd place finishes I would have won the Title had I won the first round game which I lost by under 10 points in both. I'll take that kind of year any time and many of my years involved in Fantasy have been just like this one. On to the more important stuff...

Randall does make one decent point which isn't completely correct but does have some value. That is that there is guesswork involved, however, it's not all guesswork. There's no doubt that it takes a combination of things to be successful- luck being just one of them, preparation and a wealth of knowledge about the sport, coaching, depth charts, schedules, your opponents' tendencies, player histories both in terms of production/ability and in regard to injuries, the offensive lines of the players' you're looking at drafting, defenses that offensive players have the luxury of having in order to get the ball back for them to hopefully have the opportunity of scoring more points, what teams the players you're going to draft play for and the types of weather that will be associated with them whether it be home or away games, etc. Fantasy Football is a year 'round sport and those that know their stuff and stay on top of things are more likely to make better clear decisions, better gut decisions and have better luck throughout the year/s.

The theory of- "Always Start Your Studs" is also not correct. It's more like- "Almost Always Start Your Studs". Don't get locked into one set theory, use all the info you have at your disposal to make decisions and then go with your gut if you're still at an impasse (which is where some of the luck comes in).

Same goes for drafting, don't get sucked into one style of drafting- Stud RB theory, Stud WR theory, etc. LET THE DRAFT COME TO YOU!! Take what it gives you, looking for value the entire time. A solid draft usually won't win you the Title alone but it can lose it for you. The key to success many times is being a very thorough, vigilant owner. Be active scouring the WW, look to make trades after things have settled down some to better your overall team. Know not only your roster, but every other teams' roster and the players available to you in free agency. Have solid RB and WR depth, especially RB. As everyone knows for the most part solid RBs win Fantasy Championships.

Just the tip of the iceberg above and if you agree...great. If not, that's great too and so then good luck using your method/s. My methods have and continue to work for me and I hope you guys have methods that bring you similar success over your fantasy careers. :wacko:

Edited by irish

LET THE DRAFT COME TO YOU!!

I don't think I disagree with your sentiment, but I do disagree with this particular wording/catchphrase..

Do your best to define your draft. Always plan ahead so there are no surprises when it's your turn. Have an idea of what will be available two rounds later when you're doing your picking. Especially in the middle rounds.

Do your best to define your draft. Always plan ahead so there are no surprises when it's your turn. Have an idea of what will be available two rounds later when you're doing your picking. Especially in the middle rounds.

Completely agree with this - I had a stretch of 7 years of averageness in my main league where i finished 6-8/7-7/8-6 every year and missed the playoffs every year (finished 5th in a 4 team playoff league 4 of those years). At the time, I was letting the draft come to me - had some guys I liked, but waiting to see where everyone was going.

Last three years, I said the hell with that and put a plan in place - at least 10 to 12 of the 18 (17 this past year) rounds i had a pick I wanted in that round. I left some spacing as things changed, but i had a plan.

Made the playoffs both of the last two after missing by one game the previous (3rd and 4th place finishes, but more injury or a DUMB trade on my part than anythign to do with draft was reasoning I didn't win) and have had the most wins in total the last two seasons reg season combined.

I'll always go in with a plan - if I have a year where i misfired across the board, I'll pay for it, but it's worked much better for me to have a concrete "getting this guy in 2nd, this guy in 4th, this guy in 9th" with a couple of choices at each then to just approach it as a "best value on the board when I'm up". Might not be for everyone, but my results have improved greatly.

:D

You beat me a whole one game out of two. Such domination.

When it matters most is all that counts. :D Besides I was responding to the shot you took for fun not so much to start an issue. You're a good fantasy owner Randall and I have respect for your knowledge and skill.

Edited by irish

I don't think I disagree with your sentiment, but I do disagree with this particular wording/catchphrase..

That's basically what I'm saying. Obviously you should always have a plan, a goal to draft guys you like and want based on all the prep work you've done that has told you those guys are in ideal situations. However, I feel that even if you have a plan you have to be willing to be flexible to step away from it when the moment presents itself and a great value slips to you. So no doubt have a plan but "take what the draft gives you" rather than settle on what you've planned just cause that was your original goal before the draft started. Things change rapidly as the draft wears on and it's very important to be ahead/aware of those changes so as to not be left behind all the runs and hating your draft in the end.

Edited by irish

Never Ever draft a Denver RB (f@ckin Travis Henry........)

Before you draft a WR (stud or not) look at the QB... If he can't get the ball to him, it doesn't matter how good the WR is.

Never be the first to draft a Defense

Backup your studs.

However, I feel that even if you have a plan you have to be willing to be flexible to step away from it when the moment presents itself and a great value slips to you. So no doubt have a plan but "take what the draft gives you" rather than settle on what you've planned just cause that was your original goal before the draft started.

I'm not going to argue semantics, but I honestly am not sure you read what I wrote.

Never Ever draft a Denver RB (f@ckin Travis Henry........)

Before you draft a WR (stud or not) look at the QB... If he can't get the ball to him, it doesn't matter how good the WR is.

Never be the first to draft a Defense

Backup your studs.

I thought both Delhomme and Carr could get the ball to Steve Smith. :D

when a few players are pretty much ranked equally, pick the one you hate the most, for example... a patriot

They do well = you win

They do poorly = you win

and on the same note - avoid at all costs, your homer players

unless, of course, if your a Patriot homer :D

then, of course, pick Brady and the D and ya might as well throw in Moss too...

If you can plan around bye weeks, great. But don't avoid the best player on the board because he shares a bye week with another one of your players. Ever.

:D

In year's past I placed too much emphasis on ending the draft with no bye week issues.

This was really the first year I didn't worry so much about off weeks in my local. At the conclusion of the draft I had off week issues in week 6 and week 8 ... both of which I addressed at those times on my way to a championship.

My big rule is to get an extra solid veteran for every risky pick that I make, and visa versa. For example, the order of the WR's I drafted was Holt, Jennings, C. Johnson, Engram, Bowe. I knew at least one of the youngsters would pop but I knew I had to draft someone like Engram or D. Mason, just in case.

I did the same thing at RB. I was able to cover up a bad Deangelo Williams pick by drafting Fred Taylor, Deshaun Foster and Ron Dayne.

That, and never, ever, ever.... rely on the Bungles.

Edited by Seahawks21