[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Sweeny Todd, Walk Hard, Juno, Charlie Wilson's War

TDFFFreak

I've been busy here in Florida. Staying with the in-laws and having a built-in baby sitter so we're seeing a ton of movies. Won't go over them too much here, but I'll give them grades and I'll be happy to answer any questions those of you may have regarding them. Happy holidays!

Sweeney Todd-- B- A bit slow, but Depp was very good and as almost always with Burton films, impressive set designs.

Walk Hard-- B+ Not quite up there with 40 Year Old and Superbad, but I was surprised how much I enjoyed this music farce.

Juno-- B+ This seems to be the "it" movie in Hollywood of the moment. Perhaps I went in expecting a bit too much, however, I enjoyed it, just wasn't blown away by it.

Charlie Wilson's War-- B- Enjoyable and forgetable. Julia Roberts is average at best as an actress, but Hanks and Hoffman ultimately save this movie from mediocrity.

All solidly decent movies, but I can't truly rave about any of them. Juno might go up my mind with time as it may be a movie that I like more the further I get away from seeing it.

Sweeney Todd-- B- A bit slow, but Depp was very good and as almost always with Burton films, impressive set designs.

If you enjoyed the music, there is a DVD of Sweeney Todd In Concert, which is more of a static production of the musical without all the bells and whistles on set; I've heard Depp and HBC are adequate enough voice-wise, George Hearn and Patti Lupone can flat-out freakin' SING. Very good stuff.

Charlie Wilson's War-- B- Enjoyable and forgetable. Julia Roberts is average at best as an actress, but Hanks and Hoffman ultimately save this movie from mediocrity.

Tom Hanks is often the most watchable thing in any film he does, good OR bad. Julia Roberts damn near deep-sixed Ocean's Eleven for me.

Of those four movies I've only seen Charlie Wilson's War, and I would rate it a B only because Hanks and Hoffman are such incredibly good actors and had a good screenplay to work with.

Julia Roberts damn near deep-sixed Ocean's Eleven for me.

Funny thing is, they tried to make her out to be sexy in that flick and had long sections of her walking. Here's the thing, tho. Chick walks like a freaking dude. Of all the un-sexy things about her (and there are plenty), her walk might top the list. Any tennis fans would remember the way Andre Aggasi sort of shuffled like a duck along the baseline between points. She must be a big fan of his.

Funny thing is, they tried to make her out to be sexy in that flick and had long sections of her walking. Here's the thing, tho. Chick walks like a freaking dude. Of all the un-sexy things about her (and there are plenty), her walk might top the list. Any tennis fans would remember the way Andre Aggasi sort of shuffled like a duck along the baseline between points. She must be a big fan of his.

I 'heard' she was pretty hot in Steel Magnolias... :D

If you enjoyed the music, there is a DVD of Sweeney Todd In Concert, which is more of a static production of the musical without all the bells and whistles on set; I've heard Depp and HBC are adequate enough voice-wise, George Hearn and Patti Lupone can flat-out freakin' SING. Very good stuff.

Tom Hanks is often the most watchable thing in any film he does, good OR bad. Julia Roberts damn near deep-sixed Ocean's Eleven for me.

I saw a bare bones production of Sweeny Todd in LA about 9 years ago with Kelsey Grammer and Kristine Berranski (sp?). It was decent, but it's not my favorite musical in the grand scheme of things. What I like about Sweeney is the dark and twisted subject matter and story. You just don't see that all that often in musical theater. Depp and HBC were decent (I liked Depp quite a bit, but thought HBC was decent not great). I liked the movie for Burton's spin on things and seeing Depp in this type of roll was pretty cool. I simply thought that they would punch up the pace a bit with it being a movie and all, but what you get is pretty much a very faithful interpretation for better or worse.

Of those four movies I've only seen Charlie Wilson's War, and I would rate it a B only because Hanks and Hoffman are such incredibly good actors and had a good screenplay to work with.

Hoffman was very solid in this film. This role just pretty much solidified him as one of the best actors working today in my mind.

Just to add to the holiday movie bonanza (which ends tomorrow as we are headed home), I saw The Golden Compass (C-), National Treasure (C+), and No Country for Old Men (B+).

No Country was awsome up until the last 20+ minutes. I won't spoil it, but I was loving the film and then it hit a brick wall and got all deep (with no excitement) in those last 20 minutes. It was making me think and very entertaining until a certain event took place and the movie shifted gears. Ashame because it was so good up until then and I was sorry to see the focus change.

Edited by TDFFFreak

Of your list, the only one I really want to see is Charlie Wilson's War. However, for the same reason you list, I can't quite see it because Julia Roberts is such a skanky untalented beast.

I won't go quite that far, but she is no longer the draw she once was.

Saw Charlie Wilson's War last nitght and will give it a B. Besides the propaganda message that what's happened in Afghan is the US's fault, I found the site of Julia Roberts walking out of the pool quite exhilarating, Dustin Hoffman's character a scene stealer, and Tom Hanks playing a womanizer refreshingly out of character. Plus there were NO children in the theater.

I got dragged to Atonement today. And I actually liked it quite a bit, but Keira Knightly needs to go on a month long diet of pizza and milkshakes, and is not entirely deserving of the praise she's getting in the press IMO. McCovy on the other hand was really excellent as was the supporting actress who plays a 13 yo girl. I thought it was going to be a boring English Patient romantic film or some such. But it was much more - not sappy at all. Hard to say much without spoiling it.

I give it a solid B, she gave it an A-.

Edited by The Irish Doggy

Saw Charlie Wilson's War last nitght and will give it a B. Besides the propaganda message that what's happened in Afghan is the US's fault, I found the site of Julia Roberts walking out of the pool quite exhilarating, Dustin Hoffman's character a scene stealer, and Tom Hanks playing a womanizer refreshingly out of character. Plus there were NO children in the theater.

I can only assume you mean Phillip Hoffman otherwise I really missed something.

I got dragged to Atonement today. And I actually liked it quite a bit, but Keira Knightly needs to go on a month long diet of pizza and milkshakes, and is not entirely deserving of the praise she's getting in the press IMO. McCovy on the other hand was really excellent as was the supporting actress who plays a 13 yo girl. I thought it was going to be a boring English Patient romantic film or some such. But it was much more - not sappy at all. Hard to say much without spoiling it.

I give it a solid B, she gave it an A-.

McCovy is becoming a favorite of mine. I thought he was great in Last King of Scottland.

Just saw 'JUNO' and thought it was funny throughout. It has a lot of the same characters from Knocked Up, 40-year old Virgin and Superbad, and the same kind of humor,just a little less juvenile. Wouldn't be surprised if the young actress who plays Juno wins an award.

• 2 weeks later...
Just saw 'JUNO' and thought it was funny throughout. It has a lot of the same characters from Knocked Up, 40-year old Virgin and Superbad, and the same kind of humor,just a little less juvenile. Wouldn't be surprised if the young actress who plays Juno wins an award.

how old is the teen in Juno supposed to be?

I just got back from seeing Juno (which is based on a true story by the way). Ellen Page is outstanding enough to win an award, and I liked Jennifer Garner in this as well. I give the movie a B+.

i saw this and would give it an A... even with Julia who i cant stand....

i would recommend reading 3 cups of tea ... goes along with the movie kinda.. i didnt think there was to much u.s. bashing just a bit of hay we kinda fucked this up