[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Seattle @ Green Bay thread

Randall

That is good to hear. I'm not sure if you live near GB or not, but please keep us posted if you hear of any develoments w/ the weather, particularly w/ winds or moisture. I'm looking at the over in this one. I'll be researching weather from my standard pool of info, but if you hear of anything locally, let me know either here or in the gambling thread. Thanks and good luck to you guys this weekend.

That is good to hear. I'm not sure if you live near GB or not, but please keep us posted if you hear of any develoments w/ the weather, particularly w/ winds or moisture. I'm looking at the over in this one. I'll be researching weather from my standard pool of info, but if you hear of anything locally, let me know either here or in the gambling thread. Thanks and good luck to you guys this weekend.

I live north of it but I will. It isn't on the lake so is usually better than Chicago.

I hear Mike McCarthy will be avoiding Holmgren Way on his drive to and from work. :D

He doesn't need to go in that direction from his home.

From his Press Conference

On going up against a coach in Mike Holmgren, who took the Packers to two Super Bowls (winning one), and has a street named after him: "Unusual? I think it's probably the most unique situation in pro football. I don't know if anybody else has had to do that. I haven't thought about it. Maybe I'll stay off Holmgren Way for a while, for at least the week."

More

The NFL Network will kick off a weeks worth of rehashing the many ways the Seahawks and Packers are linked by replaying the 2003 wild-card playoff game between the two teams at 7 p.m. Monday. In case you want to know how it ends, the Packers win in overtime.

Also, highlights from Super Bowls I and II will be played back-to-back starting at Noon on Tuesday.

Finally, on Wednesday, "NFL's Greatest Games" will show the Packers-49ers 1998 wild-card game on ESPN2 at 8:30 p.m.. The Packers didn't win that one. And that would wind up being the final game Mike Holmgren coached the Packers before bolting for Seattle.

Edited by Randall

I live north of it but I will. It isn't on the lake so is usually better than Chicago.

I hear Mike McCarthy will be avoiding Holmgren Way on his drive to and from work. :D

I am doing some research and seeing that while the winds don't look too bad for Sat afternoon, you guys are going to be getting a couple of fronts over the next several days. The one which concerns me comes into town around Thursday afternoon and blows well into Friday afternoon. If that front somehow gets delayed/hung up, it potentially could linger into Saturday. There will be some moisture with it, not too much, about 1" in total from Thurs evening thru Fri afternoon. However, temps should be in the 35 degree range, so it should not be snow. The key is the winds that are a part of the front, and I posted windspeeds in the link below. You'll get lots of wind and some rain on Thurs into Fri as of now. Behind that front is no moisture nor wind, but very cold air, the coldest air of the week for you guys. Again, if this slows down it could bring the moisture and wind into Saturday, but I hope that is not the case.

http://forums.thehuddle.com/index.php?show...t&p=2359186

Edited by Steeltown Dre

Weather has been rainy but snow is supposed to come in thursday and friday.

Saturday still looks good at this point but the Ice Bowl did the day before too. :D

Spitz appears ready to return to line

By Rob Demovsky

rdemovsk@greenbaypressgazette.com January 9, 2008

The same guard combination that opened the regular season should be intact for the playoffs.

That much became apparent on Tuesday, when Jason Spitz was cleared by the Green Bay Packers' medical staff to return to practice and begin preparations for Saturday's NFC divisional playoff game against the Seattle Seahawks. Barring a setback in practice, Spitz is expected to start at right guard opposite left guard Daryn Colledge.

Spitz sustained a quad injury in the Dec. 30 regular-season finale and didn't take part in the two practices last week during the bye. But he appeared to be close to a full participant in Tuesday's practice, the first of the week. The Packers aren't required to release an injury report until today, and coach Mike McCarthy wasn't forthcoming about injuries during his post-practice news conference.

"He's doing better," McCarthy said of Spitz. "We have an injury report that we'll file (today), but I think we'll be very healthy for the game, including Jason."

If Spitz doesn't play, the Packers will be without two of their top three guards. Junius Coston, who had been in a platoon system with Colledge at left guard, sustained a season-ending torn calf muscle against the Lions. Tony Moll would start if Spitz experiences a setback this week in practice.

Despite a few nagging injuries that have kept Spitz out of all or parts of five games this season, he has been the Packers' most consistent performer at guard.

Cornerback Will Blackmon, who aggravated a chronic right foot injury against the Lions, didn't practice on Tuesday. The team postponed a scheduled test on Monday and will try again today.

Blackmon had emerged as the Packers' top punt returner and their top backup cornerback but looks like he might be a long shot to play against the Seahawks.

Though McCarthy wouldn't rule out using starting cornerback Charles Woodson on punts, that would seem unlikely considering Woodson sustained a toe injury on a punt return in the Thanksgiving game at Detroit. Woodson missed two of the final six games because of the injury.

The more likely replacement is Tramon Williams, who returned a punt 94 yards for a touchdown against the Carolina Panthers on Nov. 18. Williams also could be in the mix to play in the nickel defense as the No. 3 cornerback.

"I don't know who they're going to go with, but I'm preparing as if I'm going to play," Williams said.

The Packers don't have any other major injury concerns. Tight end Bubba Franks (knee) and receiver Koren Robinson (knee) appeared to be limited participants on Tuesday and left The Don Huston Center presumably to receive treatment, which has been the norm for them. Running back Brandon Jackson was sent home because of an illness but is expected to return today.

Comparing my sources:

#1 shows a 32% chance of snow starting Thurs at 9pm into Fri at 6am. Temps in the 28-31 degree range, so should come down as snow. Should be done by noon at the latest, and Friday night temps in the 26-28 degree range w/ winds only 6 mph

#2 shows similar numbers, w/ mositure gone by 9am Fri morning, temps in the 32 degree range on Friday. This one projects into gametime, showing winds really will drop off by 9am Sat morning to 5 mph and remain around 6 mph for gametime, temps between 30-32 during the game, w/ no moisture.

#3 shows a slightly different picture, w/ same windspeed (only 6 mph) but temps colder, in the 23-24 degree range, and a 14% chance of moisture.

I think all in all it's looking very good, and I hope it stays that way. The O/U is now at 42 and I have O 39.5, so hopefully things work out. If we have an "Ice Bowl" situation or the weather looks really bad for some reason a day before, I can still get off my bet by taking an U 42 if I get it before the line drops and will have a shot at a middle.

I think all in all it's looking very good, and I hope it stays that way. The O/U is now at 42 and I have O 39.5, so hopefully things work out. If we have an "Ice Bowl" situation or the weather looks really bad for some reason a day before, I can still get off my bet by taking an U 42 if I get it before the line drops and will have a shot at a middle.

It's been pretty nice up here for the last few weeks. We should know more friday afternoon if it extends into saturday.

Seahawks DE Patrick Kerney (knee), DT Rocky Bernard (groin), T Walter Jones (shoulder), and LB Niko Koutouvides (knee) all sat out practice Wednesday.

Kerney didn't talk to the media, which is a slight concern. After his huge effort against Washington, Kerney will almost certainly be available for the Packers game. Mike Holmgren isn't concerned, saying the team is, "about as healthy as it can be."

Source: Tacoma News Tribune

Just as the Seahawks finally got all their receivers back and healthy, D.J. Hackett is hurt again.

Seattle's oft-injured starting receiver missed all but the stretching portion of practice Thursday, the team's final workout before leaving for Saturday's NFC playoff game against Green Bay. Hackett aggravated a sprained right ankle he's had for most of the season by practicing Wednesday. Four days earlier, he had six catches for 101 yards and a touchdown in the victory over Washington in the wild-card game,

"His ankle is a little bit sore. We rested it today," Seahawks coach Mike Holmgren said. "That will be a game-time decision.

"Instead of making it a little worse (Thursday), I think I'd rather have him there on Saturday."

Hackett's problem comes one day after fellow starter Deion Branch returned for the first time since Dec. 26. The 2005 Super Bowl MVP, one of Seattle's most experienced playoff performers, practiced again Thursday and had precautionary ice on his strained right calf as he walked off the field after the workout.

Not much snow in Wisconsin. I'm north of Green Bay but they haven't gotten much either. Today some flurries and breezy but tomorrow still looks cloudy with slight winds. Nothing serious.

Fans scooping up available tickets for Saturday's Packers-Seahawks game

By Tony Walter

twalter@greenbaypressgazette.com

As the Green Bay Packers playoff game draws closer, ticket buyers are outnumbering ticket sellers, according to area brokers.

"As soon as we get tickets in, they're gone," said John Schmidt of Schmitty's Tickets in Combined Locks. "It all changed Tuesday afternoon."

The Packers face the Seattle Seahawks in an NFC divisional playoff game at 3:30 p.m. Saturday at Lambeau Field in Green Bay. Earlier in the week, brokers reported asurplus of tickets on the market.

"I think a lot of people were kicking the tires, waiting in the wings," said Jason Krouth at TicketKing in Ashwaubenon. "But I don't think the prices will change that much so people are starting to snatch them up."

Krouth said he's selling tickets as low as $185 apiece. Schmidt said he's getting $225 and up for tickets. Face value of a playoff ticket is $108.

Frank Hickey, owner of Fox River Tickets in De Pere, said there are still plenty of sellers but the time is getting short to unload them.

"I think people that want tickets are waiting for them to go for $150-$160," Hickey said. "But the sellers want from $170-$200. We're paying $140 for tickets right now. A lot of people don't realize that there's not much time left so it's hard to predict what's going to happen. It goes in streaks."

Bill Wenzel of Fuzzy Thurston's Titletown Tickets in Green Bay said sales have been steady as "people are looking to get into the game."

Wenzel said tickets are selling in the $200-$235 range, while indoor club seats are drawing prices of $450-$500.

If the Packers win Saturday and the Dallas Cowboys lose Sunday, bringing the NFC championship game to Lambeau Field on Jan. 20, "It will be mass bedlam," Wenzel said.

Edited by Randall

Troy Vincent was working late one night this week but he still had a minute to chat about his friend Al Harris, whom he said was ecstatic when he finally, in his 10th year as a pro, made the Pro Bowl. "No one can ever take it away from him; he earned it," said Vincent.

Vincent, the president of the NFL Player's Association and former Wisconsin star defensive back, goes way back with Harris to their playing days in Philly together.

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=689399

Of course one of the big stories this week was revisiting Harris' game-winning interception return in overtime to beat Seattle in the 2003 season. As soon as Vincent saw the Seahawks beat Washington last week, he was dialing Harris with a warning.

"I said, ‘believe me, the Seahawks are looking back at that tape,' " said Vincent. "He jumped that route. So, I said, 'be mindful. They saw what you did last time. They may say, maybe next time, we're going to come back with the same play, we're just going to come out (with the throw) more. Same situation, same place on the field, going for the winning drive.' "

Our local Seattle morning sports radio host was on the air in Green Bay this morning, where some DJ's are trying to start a movement in hopes of doing away with Holmgren Way. Everybody knows I'm in the bag for Holmgren, so this may be a little biased, but does anybody see anything positive coming from erasing a positive part of the town's history?

I just can't get a feel for this game. I am absolutely horrified of Brett Favre. Shouldn't I be? I know the Seahawks are a good team, quite a bit better actually than they get credit for, but aren't the Packers like "really" good? I thought the Packers would be absolute crap about 18 weeks ago, but geesh, they seem to be almost unstoppable. To me this seems like a bit of a mismatch, with the game being played at Lambeau. Am I giving the Pack too much credit here?

Am I giving the Pack too much credit here?

I kinda wish everyone would stop with the Packers roll sentiments.

:D

Making me nervous.

Although perhaps you're being sarcastic? I don't think you are, but can't tell for sure.

Seahawks21: The first two series of our offense will likely tell us everything. The question is: Which Favre shows up?

I kinda wish everyone would stop with the Packers roll sentiments.

:D

Making me nervous.

Although perhaps you're being sarcastic? I don't think you are, but can't tell for sure.

Seahawks21: The first two series of our offense will likely tell us everything. The question is: Which Favre shows up?

No, I'm not being sarcastic. This time last week I was absolutely adamant that the Seahawks were the better team and would win, after being afraid of the Redskins mojo earlier in the week. I was kind of hoping that my thought process this week would kind of follow last week's pattern, but I just cannot get that warm and fuzzy feeling to stick in my head. The Packer offense is exponentially scarier than that of the Redskins.

Sturphy, do you think there are tangible reasons that Brett Favre would determine whether or not Favre gets off to a good start, or is it just seem to be more of him either "having it" that day or not? For instance, does early pressure seem to wake him up or make him erratic? It sure seems like he has 'had it" quite often this year. Your point is well taken, however. If Brett is sharp, I really don't think we can stop him. On the other hand, if Brett Favre gets too loose and makes some mistakes, Seattle is too much of a solid veteran team to give freebies to.

Right now my only thoughts on the game are that I really think it is going to be a battle. I can't get the image out of my head that Brett Favre is going to have the ball in his hands with about three minutes to go, with a chance to win the game. That thought scares the daylights out of me. I may lose my homer card for this, but if it comes down to it, I honestly would probably be rooting for Favre at that point, just being thankful to see the magic one more time.

Good luck to the Pack fans, I just really hope this game turns out to be nearly as memorable as it potentially could be, given the incredible storylines surrounding it.

That thought scares the daylights out of me. I may lose my homer card for this, but if it comes down to it, I honestly would probably be rooting for Favre at that point, just being thankful to see the magic one more time.

Just makes you less of a homer and more of an NFL fan. :D

If I want to see a Favre comeback Ill buy a Packers DVD. :D

Sturphy, do you think there are tangible reasons that Brett Favre would determine whether or not Favre gets off to a good start, or is it just seem to be more of him either "having it" that day or not? For instance, does early pressure seem to wake him up or make him erratic? It sure seems like he has 'had it" quite often this year. Your point is well taken, however. If Brett is sharp, I really don't think we can stop him. On the other hand, if Brett Favre gets too loose and makes some mistakes, Seattle is too much of a solid veteran team to give freebies to.

What always seems to happen is that when we get bad Brett, he comes out throwing bad passes into good coverage. Those are usually deep passes. So, it tends to be pretty obvious early.

Now, that being said, it does tend to happen more when he's being pressured. But that happens to all QB's. Brady is the best I've ever seen at delivering under pressure. He's totally sick at that really.

But it's always seemed to me that Favre is just too amped up when he comes out that way. OR... and this is a dark thought that I keep locked away, he's nervous.

Or, maybe he drinks too much coffee in those games? My buddy was on the sideline for a game at Lambeau recently and saw him drinking what he thought was coffee.

These are my thoughts as a relentless Packer game watcher.