[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

We are Marshall...

irish

Just watched it again. GREAT movie!! and the white kid that quits the team but continues to talk with Ruffan plays an important role IMO that some just aren't comprehending. If you don't like this movie, you're just way too jaded and read into things way too much.

Good synopsis Irish.

The white kid who quits the team (whose character name no-one can remember) has some hidden important meaning that I can't comprehend yet I don't like the movie because I read into things way too much.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good synopsis Irish.

The white kid who quits the team (whose character name no-one can remember) has some hidden important meaning that I can't comprehend yet I don't like the movie because I read into things way too much.

The white kid whose name we can't remember plays a symbolic role and yes you do read into things. Everyone watches movies from a different perspective I guess. I started this thread because I hadn't seen the movie and thought it was well done and one that brings a little emotion out of you. I didn't go into it looking for cliche-ish material or breaking down what characters should or shouldn't have belonged in the movie. I enjoyed it for what it was- a solid movie about an emotional sports story. I thought MM, the guy who played Ruffan, Coach Red and the President of Marshall all did a nice job acting. I enjoyed it a ton and if you disected the movie up and in the end didn't enjoy it that's your opinion and fine by me. We don't have to agree as that's what makes the world go round. :D

The white kid whose name we can't remember plays a symbolic role and yes you do read into things. Everyone watches movies from a different perspective I guess. I started this thread because I hadn't seen the movie and thought it was well done and one that brings a little emotion out of you. I didn't go into it looking for cliche-ish material or breaking down what characters should or shouldn't have belonged in the movie. I enjoyed it for what it was- a solid movie about an emotional sports story. I thought MM, the guy who played Ruffan, Coach Red and the President of Marshall all did a nice job acting. I enjoyed it a ton and if you disected the movie up and in the end didn't enjoy it that's your opinion and fine by me. We don't have to agree as that's what makes the world go round. :D

Matthew Fox is the actor who plays Coach Red. He played a very emotional role, IMO.

I saw WAM on Saturday night. It reminded me - a lot - of Remember The Titans. One of the songs was the same in each movie, there was a cemetery scene, and one of the characters even appeared in both movies.

In my opinion, it was an enjoyable movie to watch, emotional at times because it made me think. I travel about 20 times a year for business and I found myself just staring at my wife and 19-month old the entire time, thinking...what if? That's just me. This school, the town...was decimated by this crash, and I thought that the underlying tone was that the pain will never go away...try as MM's character, an outsider, might...it never goes away. Maybe for a moment, or a football game, you put it off to the side but as soon as that moment, or that game, is done, the pain comes back.

The movie never really gets into what caused the crash but I did some research online and read that it was either an instrumentation failure or pilot error that caused the crash...only 1 mile from the airport.

As for the roles of the kid's father and the fiancee', OK, so they may have been "Hollywood-ized" but they served a purpose. They added a human element to the movie...it was not just about football. This movie was about tragedy in life that just hapened to happen to a football team and a community. Their roles were in representing the community; the producers cannot focus on everyone, so they added this connection as representative of all that were suffering.

I watched WAM for the first time this weekend. I thought it was a great movie. It generally takes a lot for me to get a lump in my throat, very, very few movies can accomplish that, but this one did. It is one of the best movies that I have watched in quite a long time.

Matthew Fox is the actor who plays Coach Red. He played a very emotional role, IMO.

I saw WAM on Saturday night. It reminded me - a lot - of Remember The Titans. One of the songs was the same in each movie, there was a cemetery scene, and one of the characters even appeared in both movies.

In my opinion, it was an enjoyable movie to watch, emotional at times because it made me think. I travel about 20 times a year for business and I found myself just staring at my wife and 19-month old the entire time, thinking...what if? That's just me. This school, the town...was decimated by this crash, and I thought that the underlying tone was that the pain will never go away...try as MM's character, an outsider, might...it never goes away. Maybe for a moment, or a football game, you put it off to the side but as soon as that moment, or that game, is done, the pain comes back.

The movie never really gets into what caused the crash but I did some research online and read that it was either an instrumentation failure or pilot error that caused the crash...only 1 mile from the airport.

As for the roles of the kid's father and the fiancee', OK, so they may have been "Hollywood-ized" but they served a purpose. They added a human element to the movie...it was not just about football. This movie was about tragedy in life that just hapened to happen to a football team and a community. Their roles were in representing the community; the producers cannot focus on everyone, so they added this connection as representative of all that were suffering.

Good analysis Wolf :D

The two characters that did a number on me emotionally were coach "Red" and Nate Ruffin. The part where "Red" kept telling Nate "You've done enough" was very well done. "Don't you see what's going on out there ? You did this. You've done enough" = Menudo :D

Good analysis Wolf :D

The two characters that did a number on me emotionally were coach "Red" and Nate Ruffin. The part where "Red" kept telling Nate "You've done enough" was very well done. "Don't you see what's going on out there ? You did this. You've done enough" = Menudo :D

How about the part when Ruffin tells MM that his shoulder is fine and MM says this shoulder and slams it continuing to ask this one's ready to take a hit? Finally, Ruffin breaks down emotionally, the two lean together forehead to forehead and Ruffin asks why... and MM says I don't know.

Another good part was the speech at the gravesite by MM before the Xavier game. MM talks about how the other team is bigger, faster and stronger and they know it. However, what they don't know is how big our hearts are. Red shows up, MM gives him the nod and the speech is topped off by him saying almost in a whisper tone- We are... and the team yells MARSHALL and then again louder.

Ok Irish you got me.

I have the show on my DVR. Its been a long time since I have watched it.

Clocking out of work early in two hours before the family shows up. I gotta watch it again.

I'm not saying it isnt a decent movie, but not clocking out of work early good. If I were you I would clock out early, rub one out, and take a nap. Now thats a good day!

Ok Irish you got me.

I have the show on my DVR. Its been a long time since I have watched it.

Clocking out of work early in two hours before the family shows up. I gotta watch it again.

Enjoy! :D Get the tissues.

I'm not saying it isnt a decent movie, but not clocking out of work early good. If I were you I would clock out early, rub one out, and take a nap. Now that's a good day!

You old sailor you! :wacko:

Now that's a great sequence there. :D

for half the movie it seemed like the dead RBs daughter and his dad were going to hook up :D

Well this did take place in Ohio, right? :D

Umm, isnt Marshall in West Virginia? And wasnt the girl the dead RB's fiance?

:D Uh... yeah, that's what I meant. :D I think the reference to the Ohio river threw me off.

• 2 weeks later...
They missed the boat on which story to embellish on. The dad and the bride of the RB added about 15 minutes of nothing and created an awkward sub-plot that took away from the movie.

I agree. The difference between the guy who felt he HAD to play on, and the guy who just couldn't would've made a good contrast. One of the things that I did like was when Nate Ruffin saw him in the stands and realized sometimes people have to follow different paths.

I'm late to the party, but then again, the cool ones always arrive late. I enjoyed the movie but no way can I say it was great. The flaw noted by bw and chavez is huge, imo. I got to the end of the movie and asked my wife, "Well, what happened to the player who never played?" I wanted to know how his life turned out. I can't imagine the weight of the survivor guilt he carried around. This would have been an immensely interesting subplot that was mostly ignored.

I'm late to the party, but then again, the cool ones always arrive late. I enjoyed the movie but no way can I say it was great. The flaw noted by bw and chavez is huge, imo. I got to the end of the movie and asked my wife, "Well, what happened to the player who never played?" I wanted to know how his life turned out. I can't imagine the weight of the survivor guilt he carried around. This would have been an immensely interesting subplot that was mostly ignored.

I agree with this. I was very curious as to what was going to happen with him. Did he ever play again? Was it just too much for him, that he never took the field? I wish they did a little more with this kid and a little less with the dead RBs father and the girlfriend. I thought it was a good idea to have him in the movie as he represented the other side of the coin along with the dead RB's father. The two of them couldn't be a part of football after the crash. Whereas, Ruffan and Red, continued to trudge forward in obvious pain trying to play/coach through all the sadness and internal depression/anger, etc.

Yer a (the really bad word)ing poser.

Man you just might beat out Keggerz for Huddle's best fisherman. It's like round 12 and you're giving it all you got. :wacko:

Edited by irish