[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

McDonalds Serving Latte's

alexgaddis

They finally took the last step in competing for the coffee dollar and are going to be offeing latte's...I can't wait to try one...their iced coffees are great....

They've had them here for awhile now. Wife was addicted to them. They are free on Monday's.

I hate putting cream and sugar in my coffee while driving.

But the coffee itself has gotten better whereas it used to taste burned. They switched beans or something.

Yeah they went to Newman's Own organic. Their coffee definitely tastes better, love the ice coffee. Actually prefer it to Dunkin Donuts.....they have gone way downhill in the last 5-10 once they got big.

I do hate that they put in the milk and sugar.....They usualy put in to much no mater what I tell them...but the decent joe makes up for it.

I do prefer starbucks to the others or a local coffee house when we come across them. I tend to make strong coffee at home.

Letterman had a bit about it something like "that's just what I want to spend more time in McDonalds. We come there for one reason.....The Crap! Stick to the Crap." :D

Yeah they went to Newman's Own organic. Their coffee definitely tastes better, love the ice coffee. Actually prefer it to Dunkin Donuts.....they have gone way downhill in the last 5-10 once they got big.

I do hate that they put in the milk and sugar.....They usualy put in to much no mater what I tell them...but the decent joe makes up for it.

I do prefer starbucks to the others or a local coffee house when we come across them. I tend to make strong coffee at home.

Letterman had a bit about it something like "that's just what I want to spend more time in McDonalds. We come there for one reason.....The Crap! Stick to the Crap." :D

That sad thing about DD is that they made the conscious choice to allow their quality to suffer when they broke away from their original franchise model that made them such a success. They lowered their food and beverage quality standards to increase profit, choosing to ride on their name and people's habits.

We had a customer at my company for a photo shoot 6 months back to so that now is a bigwig at the Meathouse. He served a similar function at DD and was a part of the group (and IIRC, to his claim one of the dissenters) when that decision was made.

Sad. But it gave Starbucks a chance to come in and be successful.

In Boston? Wow. Funny thing is, when I lived in NYC it was the same story and, frankly, a rather sad state of affairs. I'd always lived in places that had great local coffee houses (Berkeley and Santa Cruz, CA) and was aghast when I moved to NYC in the early 90s to find that it was filled with places that served coffee, nearly all of it total crap. The fact that Starbucks was far and away the best you could find was a pretty sad state for such a large city. Not that I have anything against Starbucks mind you, but chains shouldn't be the standard bearer for something like that.

Where I live now, there are several options preferable to Starbucks and it's not a large city. We have a local roaster Counter Culture who makes amazing coffee. In terms of places to drink it, we've got a place 3 Cups that only does French Press (my coffee of choice if I'm not drinking espresso based and maybe even preferable to that. It's what we serve at Jujube) and has a great selection of super freshly roasted beans. We have a place called Driade that makes the single most amazing cappucino I've ever had. Mind you, I haven't been to Italy, but I've been to plenty of major US markets and nobody can touch these. I brought a huge food snob friend of mine there when he was visiting and dude almost had tears well up in his eyes when he saw them making them.

There are others as well.

I also heard that McD's is going to be hooking up their stores with Wifi as well.

Dude, who the f wants to "hang out" at McDonalds?! Has it come to that?

"Dude, meet me at McShiight. I'll be down there catching up on some e-mails" I have to agree with Letterman here.

In Boston? Wow. Funny thing is, when I lived in NYC it was the same story and, frankly, a rather sad state of affairs. I'd always lived in places that had great local coffee houses (Berkeley and Santa Cruz, CA) and was aghast when I moved to NYC in the early 90s to find that it was filled with places that served coffee, nearly all of it total crap. The fact that Starbucks was far and away the best you could find was a pretty sad state for such a large city. Not that I have anything against Starbucks mind you, but chains shouldn't be the standard bearer for something like that.

Where I live now, there are several options preferable to Starbucks and it's not a large city. We have a local roaster Counter Culture who makes amazing coffee. In terms of places to drink it, we've got a place 3 Cups that only does French Press (my coffee of choice if I'm not drinking espresso based and maybe even preferable to that. It's what we serve at Jujube) and has a great selection of super freshly roasted beans. We have a place called Driade that makes the single most amazing cappucino I've ever had. Mind you, I haven't been to Italy, but I've been to plenty of major US markets and nobody can touch these. I brought a huge food snob friend of mine there when he was visiting and dude almost had tears well up in his eyes when he saw them making them.

There are others as well.

I hear ya, we live a little north of the city. But we did have a couple of local places in Somerville (when we lived there) Diesel Cafe' and another that were good, and there's a Pete's in Harvard Sq. There's less Starbucks in our area but at least 6 Dunkin's in my City alone.

We have a place in our building that serves George Howell - Terroir Coffee (of the Coffee Connection)

That sad thing about DD is that they made the conscious choice to allow their quality to suffer when they broke away from their original franchise model that made them such a success. They lowered their food and beverage quality standards to increase profit, choosing to ride on their name and people's habits.

We had a customer at my company for a photo shoot 6 months back to so that now is a bigwig at the Meathouse. He served a similar function at DD and was a part of the group (and IIRC, to his claim one of the dissenters) when that decision was made.

Sad. But it gave Starbucks a chance to come in and be successful.

I'm not sure that Starbucks is chipping into DD's customer base that much. People eat breakfast at DD. I don't know of anybody who goes to Starbucks for a meal.

The one thing that Starbucks has done to trump DD is that they've expanded more quickly. It's difficult to find DD in the Midwest or South (they're in the Chicago area, but I've never seen them in Indianapolis or Houston) and they're non-existent in the West. Outside of the move to sell their coffee in grocery stores, they've really limited their customer base. I haven't noticed a drop in the quality of DD's food and coffee, but I rarely go there now so I'll take your word for it.

As for Micky D's, I've heard a lot of good things about their coffee. But I probably won't feel inclined to try it unless I'm on the road and need a wake-me-up.

Edited by Bill Swerski