[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Egret needs a new cell phone

Egret

I too had the "extended battery", which sucked.

The unit would turn off by itself

no way it'd operate for an entire day.

It's deathly slow. I would be typing something and it'd take several seconds to catch up.

I've never had any of these problems. Nor have I heard of them from current users.

So, When you say "The Q and Windows Mobile sucks", you should probably instead say:

"The Q that I bought over a year ago sucked, but due to hardware and software upgrades since then, my opinion is not useful in any way."

the web browser on the Blackberry tears Winblows Mobile a new one.

FYI, go to task manager and kill all your applications every so often.

True about IE Mobile. I use Opera instead, which totally blows Blackberry's browser away. Its one of those crazy 3rd party apps you don't care about not having.

I kill tasks if I need to.

pwnd

I've never had any of these problems. Nor have I heard of them from current users.

So, When you say "The Q and Windows Mobile sucks", you should probably instead say:

"The Q that I bought over a year ago sucked, but due to hardware and software upgrades since then, my opinion is not useful in any way."

True about IE Mobile. I use Opera instead, which totally blows Blackberry's browser away. Its one of those crazy 3rd party apps you don't care about not having.

I kill tasks if I need to.

pwnd

Meh. If you had a piece of crap Ford Pinto, would you go out and buy another one? When it comes to my livelihood, and in this case, my employment, I'm not one to give second chances. You're correct, MY Q was a piece of junk. In fact, my buddy that I work with had one too. He went through four of them. Same issues. Another buddy (in Texas) says his sucked and got himself an iPhone. :D

I had the original, silver Q. 'Cuz I'm cool like dat. I too had the "extended battery", which sucked. The unit would turn off by itself and there's no way it'd operate for an entire day. I have heard that the next generation Qs are better in terms of battery life.

That still doesn't account for Winblows Mobile sucking, which it does. It's deathly slow. I would be typing something and it'd take several seconds to catch up. I don't type THAT fast. 3rd party web-apps? Who cares? I don't sit on the can playing solitaire. And actually, there are a TON of solid web-apps that I've found. And actually, the web browser on the Blackberry tears Winblows Mobile a new one. Period.

Edit to add: Not only that, but Microsloth thought it would be better to keep the applications running in the background, sort of like their normal OS. Uh, this simply does not work for a mobile-sized processor. FYI, go to task manager and kill all your applications every so often. It'll save some battery life. I mean, it's not like applications open that much faster 'cuz they're open in the background. :D

I don't need VPN, Linux, Triforce or a flux capacitor. I use my phone for corporate and my own LLC's email. It was easy as pie to set those accounts up. Setting them up on the Q had me on the phone with "high level" tech support several times, totaling a few hours' worth of jibber-jabber.

Blackberry wins, IMO.

My Mom likes her Treo but the buttons were somewhat small for my sausage fingers.

The iPhone does look trick, but what's the cost right now? And only on AT&T. It would be a hassle for me to switch over, unfortunately.

I got my Blackberry about a month ago so I'm not sure how it reacts to extreme temperature/humidity. What, exactly, have you heard in this regard?

I do a lot of typing. I'm gonna stick with my basic Blackberry now and deal with not having a camera phone... I mean, I was only using it to send pictures of beer to twiley. :D

The Pearl is actually pretty decent to type on, but not as easy as with the full QWERTY.

Being a technology junkie, every time a new BlackBerry comes out, I run out and upgrade. I went from the 7290 to the 7100 to the 8700 to the Pearl to the 8800 and now the Curve. The Curve combines the features of the 8700 and the Pearl - it has the full keyboard, plus media player, camera, etc. Lacks the GPS that the 8800 had but I never used that anyway.

Darin, if you're looking to upgrade your device and keep the BB Email solution (which is far and away the best on the market) I'd suggest getting the Curve. Its noticeably smaller than the 8700 series models but you don't lose the full keyboard. You also get the trackball as opposed to the thumbwheel, making navigation through menus and spreadsheets easier.

The Pearl is actually pretty decent to type on, but not as easy as with the full QWERTY.

Being a technology junkie, every time a new BlackBerry comes out, I run out and upgrade. I went from the 7290 to the 7100 to the 8700 to the Pearl to the 8800 and now the Curve. The Curve combines the features of the 8700 and the Pearl - it has the full keyboard, plus media player, camera, etc. Lacks the GPS that the 8800 had but I never used that anyway.

Darin, if you're looking to upgrade your device and keep the BB Email solution (which is far and away the best on the market) I'd suggest getting the Curve. Its noticeably smaller than the 8700 series models but you don't lose the full keyboard. You also get the trackball as opposed to the thumbwheel, making navigation through menus and spreadsheets easier.

Unfortunately, Verizon doesn't offer the Curve.

That means you didn't get any of my pics the other night. :D

:D I should still get them. It just alerts me to go to Verizon's website to view the pics on my "account".

• 2 weeks later...

I went with the SERO plan with Sprint. They kept me under my old contract, but gave me the benefits. For $30 I have unlimited Web/Data, texting, nights, weekends, Sprint-to-Sprint calls, and 500 minutes. They kept my wifes phone on their too for $5. She doesn't share minutes anymore, but will get 75 per month. She only uses it if she's off with our son somewhere.

I went with the SERO plan with Sprint. They kept me under my old contract, but gave me the benefits. For $30 I have unlimited Web/Data, texting, nights, weekends, Sprint-to-Sprint calls, and 500 minutes. They kept my wifes phone on their too for $5. She doesn't share minutes anymore, but will get 75 per month. She only uses it if she's off with our son somewhere.

That's a good deal. I should check out Sprint again. Maybe their reception has improved in my area.

I pay $30 to verizon just to add 10MB of data to my plan. That's a crappy amount of data, and then I pay separately for minutes.

That's a good deal. I should check out Sprint again. Maybe their reception has improved in my area.

I pay $30 to verizon just to add 10MB of data to my plan. That's a crappy amount of data, and then I pay separately for minutes.

Let me know if you want the deal. You have to enter the employee site to do it.

Let me know if you want the deal. You have to enter the employee site to do it.

I was wondering what the SERO plan was....I have Sprint but am no longer under contract and am looking to upgrade phones, this may be just the thing for me. Right now I have 1000 anytime minutes unlimited off-peak and mobile to mobile for $45,actually $50 after I added 300 text(that's without data). I use right around 500 anytime minutes a month.