[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

30 year fixed

Missoula Griz

I honestly can't believe that the markets aren't forecasting more inflation over the next few years than what is indicated by these low 30-year fixed rates. I guess the only way to explain is that they don't expect people will hold onto the mortgages for anywhere near 30 years.

My only hope is that these rates hold out until the summer because I want to buy a house when I get back to America.

When you coming back? In time for a Tiger game?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I'm guessing that if I am in the 5th year of a 30-year fixed at 5.875% now may be a good time to shop around for a refi (it would not be a jumbo loan)?

It really depends on how long you are going to be in your home and what your current mortgage payoff is. Calculate what your new principal and interest would be at the lower rate. Subtract that from your current P&I. Divide that number into what your closing costs would be.

Example: Refinancing lowers your payment by $120 per month. The cost to refi is $3300. Your breakeven point is 27.5 months. If you are planning on staying in the home significantly longer then 25 months, it probably makes sense to refinance.

This is JUST a general rule of thumb.

I'd refinance if I could get a 10 year, 4.25 mortgage. A few years ago I refinanced from a 30 yr 7.5 to a 15 year 5.25. I'm guessing I'm not going to refinance.

+1. Our numbers are near the same - 6.875% / 30 yr to 5% / 15 yr. I'd refi again if I could get 4.25% / 10.

Meh. With a $200,000 loan balance, even if you could shave a half a percent off the interest rate you'd only save like $1,000 in Year 1. And I'm assuming you'd roll the points/closing costs into the balance of the note. Are you really willing to go through the hassle, and increase the balance of your note a little, to reduce your costs by $83 a month? Seems like a lot of work for little benefit. But hey, everything is relative. If that covers the increase in your property taxes for the next couple years then perhaps the economics make sense.

OK Huddlers what is the best advice for my situation......

I am currently in a 30yr fixed with a rate of 5.75% I have been in this loan for the last 3 yrs after I did a refinance from a 6.375 to my current 5.75. I have only refinanced 1 time and originally had PMI that I now do not have.

MY total loan ammount was 220K and my current payoff balance is aprox 200K today. If the rates are currently at 5.3 or what Miz is quoting , will it be well advised that I try to refinance again?? I really would like to lower my monthly rate but with my proerty taxes continuing to rise will it really make a difference to me other than saving a bunch of interest on the back end??

Any and all words of advice will be greatly appreciated.

I would stay put, unless your for certain you are going to be in the home for over 7 years which is unlikely. If rates drop to 5%, then I would suggest refinancing.

I honestly can't believe that the markets aren't forecasting more inflation over the next few years than what is indicated by these low 30-year fixed rates. I guess the only way to explain is that they don't expect people will hold onto the mortgages for anywhere near 30 years.

My only hope is that these rates hold out until the summer because I want to buy a house when I get back to America.

Yeah, the RMB to dollar exchange rate and China VAT changes should be making people think... Factories all over China have raised prices considerably in the last year with more to come. That has to show up on Wal Mart shelves this spring.

Bloomberg.com reports U.S. mortgage rates dropped to levels not seen since the middle of the real estate boom in 2004, a day after the Federal Reserve's emergency reduction in interest rates. The average U.S. rate for a 30-year fixed mortgage fell to 5.31%, the lowest since March 2004, according to Bankrate.

I always thought that it only makes sense to refinance if you can gain about 1 point. So if you're at 5.75, it really only makes sense to refinance if you can get 4.75. Is that a good rule of thumb? :wacko:

Figure cost of refinancing - Fees, etc.

Determine monthly amount saved - Current payment - new payment

Estimate how long you realistically plan to remain in the house in terms of months.

Multiply months by monthly savings.

If that number is greater than the cost to refinance, go for it. If it is smaller, you are better off not refinancing.

Estimate how long you realistically plan to remain in the house in terms of months.

If that number is greater than the cost to refinance, go for it. If it is smaller, you are better off not refinancing.

A simple yes or no would have been preferred.

:wacko:

Can someone explain points a bit more. I believe it is basically paying a percent of the total loan upfront to reduce the interest rate, but am unclear really.

SO, for example, using the Yahoo rate comparer, they show various lenders by area, with fields for rate, APR, Fees, Points and monthly payment. The points field is two numbers, something like 0.478/0.000 or .5000/1.000 .

Can someone explain just what that field is telling me when comparing the various available rates/offers?

If you just multiply the number of months by the monthly savings, you won't really get the right answer. What you need to do is figure out the present value of each future monthly payment and then sum those up. (e.g. saving $100 off a monthly payment that isn't going to be made for, say, 10 years is definitely not the same as saving $100 off a payment that you are making right now today).

If you just multiply the number of months by the monthly savings, you won't really get the right answer. What you need to do is figure out the present value of each future monthly payment and then sum those up. (e.g. saving $100 off a monthly payment that isn't going to be made for, say, 10 years is definitely not the same as saving $100 off a payment that you are making right now today).

:D

No way it makes enough of a difference when trying to cover closing costs of 2 grand. :wacko: