[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

What do you like/hate about your home?

wiegie

I'm thinking alimony and child support may be cheaper for you.

True

Out of curiosity, did you ever get a contractor bid on updating the wiring / modern outlets? I wonder how much a project like that would run.

Never got a quote to update the outlets but I did get a quote to update the power box. I think it was around 2K or so. Not bad but not a priority.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you have young boys, then I would not discount how important it is to get into a neighborhood with other kids. You can never really know what sort of kids there are, but these will be the friends and schoolmate's of your sons childhood. When I moved with my then 9 year old son, I looked for neighborhoods with homes that had basketball goals outside. And close proxity to a creek.

Far as likes and dislikes, I think you can never, ever have a big enough garage. Bigger kitchens and storage space is another very nice thing to have.

Other considerations:

Trees - great for kids to climb, great for shade in the summer, bad if the roots are going to break sidewalks and driveways and get into sewage lines. More trees, more raking.

Drainage - if it rains hard in the area, how well will it drain from your property? Will you have the neighborhood river when it pours outside?

If you can, check out the area on the Friday night. Is it still as quiet as you want?

Bought a house last year. And I may have come as close to my perfect house. When you start looking, take your time. Also, it's a buyer's market. Don't be afraid to lowball the offer. I got my house for 20k under the asking price.

What I like:

1. Great TV room just off the kitchen. My wife loves the fact that she can putter around in the kitchen and the TV is viewable

2. On a cul de sac, no traffic noise, less crime

3. I have one neighbor that I share a fence with. Behind me is desert (small ravine with a hiking trail), and on the right side is open desert, that I own

4. 3 car Garage. Even if you don;t have 3 cars... Storage, hobby area, gym, etc....

5. I have an Office. The kids have a room, your wife owns the rest, get a house where you can have a room for yourself.

6. Great views from the backyard. Especially at sunset

What I didn't like

1. Backyard is a little smaller then I would like. The fenced in portion, I own more land on the back and right side.

Good location is #1. After that, closet space is something my wife taught me that is important. A nice sized master suite. An open and light house can often be overlooked. The kitchen doesn't have to be nice and updated as long as the space is large enough and something that can be updated.

the one thing i would change about our house is an increase in garage space. we have a 2-car and it would be awesome to have either a 3-car or at least a bump out to the 2-car to have more room. we also have a 2-story family room which was awe inspiring when we bought the home, but over time i've realized that just going with high ceilings, like 10-ft., would have been better and would have added more space upstairs.

things we love about our house include the finished basement, the exterior appearance, the large yard, and the overall openness of the layout. neighborhood is full of kids and we are in one of the best school districts in cincinnati.

Just curious, where do you live in Cincinnati? I grew up there.

Just a few thoughts, more advice than things I like or dislike about my current home.

First, you have awesome timing on looking/buying. The housing market, overall economy in Michigan, and the season (Dec - Feb) are all working in your favor. Knowing you, I'm certain that this is not just happenstance. If it works out, getting the negotiations done prior to mid-March is good. No one buys in February. Everyone starts to look in April. Demand is at its lowest now, so it's great if you can take advantage of that.

Second, consciously prioritize things that can't be easily or cheaply changed over those that can be. I know that sounds simple, but it is very easy to let the "shine" of newer flooring, nice faucets, and fresh paint overly influence your decision. Paint, light fixtures, faucets, and even flooring are very easy to either replace yourself or have someone replace, so don't write off houses just because of shortcomings in areas like those. Oftentimes, you can get a great deal on a house by buying it in less-than-optimal condition and updating the paint and flooring. Depending on your bank, you can sometimes roll these initial updates into your mortgage if you don't have the cash on hand right away.

My final recommendation is not to let yourself fall in love with one house. If you can keep your wife from doing that, too, so much the better. There are very motivated sellers out there, and if you have the self-discipline to keep your options open, you can get a great deal.

I'm not going to repeat all of the other great suggestions that others have made.

Good luck!

First, you have awesome timing on looking/buying. The housing market, overall economy in Michigan, and the season (Dec - Feb) are all working in your favor. Knowing you, I'm certain that this is not just happenstance. If it works out, getting the negotiations done prior to mid-March is good. No one buys in February. Everyone starts to look in April. Demand is at its lowest now, so it's great if you can take advantage of that.

Alas, I am not coming back to the US from Germany until the middle of June, so I won't be looking at homes until the middle of summer. (Although, depending on how things go, we might not buy right when we get back.)

Alas, I am not coming back to the US from Germany until the middle of June, so I won't be looking at homes until the middle of summer. (Although, depending on how things go, we might not buy right when we get back.)

That's not a bad time to start looking. Start looking online in June and find a dozen or two houses that might fit the bill for what you want. Keep up to date as to what houses are still on the market in July, August, and September. Once September rolls around, the buying starts to really slow down. November - Feb, it really crawls. If you find a house or two in June that is still around come late September, you probably have some leverage on price.

1. Awesome kitchen

2. Awesome view

3. location-on the westside meaning closer to the mtns and more trees (we are in the desert), and only 1.5 miles

from downtown.

4. open floorplan with lots of windows

5. 3 car garage-extra deep with built in workbench

6. tons of storage including a full stand-up attic above the oversized garage

7. Fence for the yard-unusal on the westside with strict no fence CC&Rs

8. Fireplace in bedroom-alhtough hardly use it, it look pretty with a rock finish and full mantle

Dislikes

1. Bath has a sauna we never use, and no soaking tub which we would use-fixing this with a bath remodel

2. Boring family room with poor lighting and wood burning stove-next project is to put in fireplace and recessed in

3. Antiquated light oak trim and all of the trim, sills, door frames, and built-ins are exposed wood, so an expensive fix

4. Ugly front elevation-bath remodel with a big picture window over new bathtub will help-but needs a lot more and too

expensive to fix. All the windows are to the back of the house where the view is, leaving the front very plain.

5. Master closet is small ,as is the master bath-too expensive to fix

6. Older wood shake roof that needs replacing-see above-live in the desert with big flamable ponderosa pines and their cones which

expode in a fire-also on the list to fix

• 5 months later...

Good luck with the search. My daughter and SIL are looking at foreclosures in the St Louis area. OMG! Too many to look at! But they have an offer of 150K on a 300K appraised one. The bank accepted!?! Could be a buyers market. :wacko:

When we bought our house, the builder said that there was a homeowners association, but they were very hands off and the dues were only $25 a quarter. In the last 2 years, they transferred the HOA to an outside firm that's jacked up the dues to $100 a quarter and they're like the Gestapo. They're constantly leaving threatening letters in mailboxes about how they're going to fine us for every blade of grass that's over 4 inches tall.

I HATE Paternalism. :wacko:

The one thing I hate about my house is that it's pretty old.

I would say that within the past 3 months I've spent close to 8K in repairs and minor improvements including $800 yesterday for a bad pipe leading to the shower.

Old houses are great for charm but cost a small fortune when you need to repair things.

Wiegie,

My advice to you is simple. Buy the house that you would love to live in the most at a price that you are comfortable with. It is certainly a buyers market but I am working with a couple now and worked with a couple last year and they are of the mindset that they are looking for the most wounded seller that they could find so they can lowball them as low as possible. That is smart financially and the power is with the buyer and I recommend that you no doubt get the lowest possible price that you can. I just advise them and will advise you that when the dust settles you will be living in this home. Dont pass on a home you can afford and a bid that you are comfortable with just because you dont feel you went elbow deep on the seller. You may see a house that you absolutely love and the seller may not be at a point of desperation. If they are still fair with you and you are not going above your means you should pursue that house. Good luck. I know you are on the fence about realtors but I will answer any realtor related questions you may have happily.

What I like about our home and property:

Big yard

3 car garage

Covered patio

Baseboard hot water heat

Ceiling fans

Large windows not facing the west( keeps home much cooler in the summer)

Strong covenants( I wrote them for our subdivision)

Underground sprinkler system

Plenty of storage

Daylight walk out basement

Decks

Mature trees

Good views

Creek

10 foot ceiling in basement

What I would change if I was building it tommorrow:

Granite countertops

Larger master bathroom

Smaller home( 4500 sq feet currently)

Some hardwood floors

Too bad Canton is too far a commute for you. My friends sister lives next to this house that got foreclosed on. Seems like a steal at this price.

Link

ETA: I believe this house also has a full basement although the site says it doesn't.

Edited by Puddy

Too bad Canton is too far a commute for you. My friends sister lives next to this house that got foreclosed on. Seems like a steal at this price.

Link

ETA: I believe this house also has a full basement although the site says it doesn't.

Good lord that's cheap for that house. :wacko:

Good lord that's cheap for that house. :wacko:

It's not that cheap. $175K for a three bedroom in Michigan is not a fantastic deal. It's a reasonably-sized house, but I think the picture makes it look like there's more there than there actually is. I'm sure it's shockingly low for those of you living in Cali, Chicago, or the East Coast, but it doesn't look like a mind-blowing deal in Michigan.

Wiegie,

My advice to you is simple. Buy the house that you would love to live in the most at a price that you are comfortable with.

Good call. Don't worry about what others say is the perfect house. You and your wife may fall in love with a home that is quirky to others. Find a home that suits you and fills all your needs and most of your wants. Keep in mind that some things you can go back and add later (like hardwood floors), others you can't (more space).

Wiegie,

My advice to you is simple. Buy the house that you would love to live in the most at a price that you are comfortable with. It is certainly a buyers market but I am working with a couple now and worked with a couple last year and they are of the mindset that they are looking for the most wounded seller that they could find so they can lowball them as low as possible. That is smart financially and the power is with the buyer and I recommend that you no doubt get the lowest possible price that you can. I just advise them and will advise you that when the dust settles you will be living in this home. Dont pass on a home you can afford and a bid that you are comfortable with just because you dont feel you went elbow deep on the seller. You may see a house that you absolutely love and the seller may not be at a point of desperation. If they are still fair with you and you are not going above your means you should pursue that house. Good luck. I know you are on the fence about realtors but I will answer any realtor related questions you may have happily.

This comment got me thinking. I hope you do have a Realtor? I do not remember seeing anything in the posts about that but it has been a while since I read the whole thing. IMO it would be a big mistake not to use a realtor. It does not cost you a thing. The one selling the house pays the commission, not you. They can find the type of houses you are looking for and in the price range much easier than you can. Also, they burn their gas when you are out house shopping.

What I like:

The location, it is convenient. It takes me 7 minutes to get to work and 5 to get home. All of the lots in our neighborhood are at least 1/2 acre, and to the east of my lot there is 10 acres of land locked woods, and to the south of my lot is a 5 acre lot. So there are a lot of woods for the kids to play in. I also like that there are kids in the neighborhood that are the same age as my kids. I have a 3 car garage, which I really like. I also like all of the storage space in my house. We don't have to store anything in the attic. We have 3 1/2 baths, and that is really nice, because you don't have to worry about the kids having destroyed a bathroom when company comes over unexpectedly. I like having kitchen that is open to the den. I like our master bathroom, as my wife and I each have a vanity on opposite ends of the bathroom, so I don't have to share space with her, and look for replacement razor blade in a drawer full of makeup and other female crap. Most of all I like my Man Cave that has a pool table, a big screen, a full restroom right off of it, and is filled with football memorabilia. It is the one room the kids are not allowed in unless I'm there, and give them permission to stay.

What I don't like:

My house is terribly inefficient. Our electric bill runs between $650 and $750 during the summer. I don't like having a pool (we bought the house in spite of the pool). The pool just adds to the electric bill. The air conditioner is undersized for the house. The windows, while insulated, are builders grade. I would prefer the windows to have better insulating properties. The attic is not sufficiently vented. All of these items add to the cost of the electric bill. The only other thing I don't like is we put up an aluminum fence around the back yard, to keep neighborhood kids away from the pool. The fence looks like a wrought iron fence. It is a pain in the ass to Josh Gordon-eat around.

If my wife gets the job she interviewed for yesterday we will stay in this house for another 10 years or so. If that happens, we will take in part of the attic to create a hobby room for her, and enclose a balcony to increase the size of my Man Cave. I will be upgrading the A/C to high SEER units, and might possibly change out the windows. Thanks to some hail damage, I have a great opportunity to install ridge vents this fall. If she doesn't get the job, then depending on where she winds up, we might move closer to that school district and if that is the case I'll build a new house. This fall we will have some guys that are out of work due to 6 projects finishing up in the same month.

Edited by Perchoutofwater

My advice to you is simple. Buy the house that you would love to live in the most at a price that you are comfortable with.

:wacko: that is our gameplan--hopefully things will work out for us

I hope you do have a Realtor?

Yep, we have one. Every so often I actually realize when I am out of my depth. <insert kiddy-pool joke here>

What I like:

The location, it is convenient. It takes me 7 minutes to get to work and 5 to get home. All of the lots in our neighborhood are at least 1/2 acre, and to the east of my lot there is 10 acres of land locked woods, and to the south of my lot is a 5 acre lot. So there are a lot of woods for the kids to play in. I also like that there are kids in the neighborhood that are the same age as my kids. I have a 3 car garage, which I really like. I also like all of the storage space in my house. We don't have to store anything in the attic. We have 3 1/2 baths, and that is really nice, because you don't have to worry about the kids having destroyed a bathroom when company comes over unexpectedly. I like having kitchen that is open to the den. I like our master bathroom, as my wife and I each have a vanity on opposite ends of the bathroom, so I don't have to share space with her, and look for replacement razor blade in a drawer full of makeup and other female crap. Most of all I like my Man Cave that has a pool table, a big screen, a full restroom right off of it, and is filled with football memorabilia. It is the one room the kids are not allowed in unless I'm there, and give them permission to stay.

What I don't like:

My house is terribly inefficient. Our electric bill runs between $650 and $750 during the summer. I don't like having a pool (we bought the house in spite of the pool). The pool just adds to the electric bill. The air conditioner is undersized for the house. The windows, while insulated, are builders grade. I would prefer the windows to have better insulating properties. The attic is not sufficiently vented. All of these items add to the cost of the electric bill. The only other thing I don't like is we put up an aluminum fence around the back yard, to keep neighborhood kids away from the pool. The fence looks like a wrought iron fence. It is a pain in the ass to Josh Gordon-eat around.

If my wife gets the job she interviewed for yesterday we will stay in this house for another 10 years or so. If that happens, we will take in part of the attic to create a hobby room for her, and enclose a balcony to increase the size of my Man Cave. I will be upgrading the A/C to high SEER units, and might possibly change out the windows. Thanks to some hail damage, I have a great opportunity to install ridge vents this fall. If she doesn't get the job, then depending on where she winds up, we might move closer to that school district and if that is the case I'll build a new house. This fall we will have some guys that are out of work due to 6 projects finishing up in the same month.

:wacko: WOW! And I was complaining about my $200 bill.