[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Time to shop for a decent watch

Puddy

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Couple more questions.

Would you always buy from an authorized dealer? Most online dealers are not authorized for TAG apparently. The only brick & mortar store in my area (Fred Meyer) has the TAG Carrera for $1,525.00 + tax = $1,617. Can get it online from seemingly good yet unauthorized dealers for $1,300 out the door. The Movado I liked and linked to in my first post is $722 at Fred Meyer and right now is $494 at Overstock.com.

Also, Fred Meyer offered a warranty (TAG has a 2-year that covers the movement) for cosmetic things for an additional $130 for 3 years. Anyone recommend that?

Maybe there are some good online dealers. But if I'm going to shell out some decent money for a watch (or anything else for that matter), I'm not going to buy it online.

To begin with, I'm not going to buy a watch without trying it on. And I'm probably going to try a number of different models from a number of different manufacturers. I'm not the type of person who is going to spend alot of a salesperson's time with no intent of purchasing it because I'm going to buy it online.

Maybe service (or the specter of needing service) isn't that important to you. But I like the idea of taking it somewhere if I need service or maybe even to replace it. I believe that if I have purchased it from a reputable (and authorized) dealer with which/whom I have a relationship, I am going to have it taken care of without any issues, particulalrly those concerning the manufacturer's warranty. I'd rather do that than ship it off in a box to someplace in another state.

Am I "overpaying?" Probably. Can you get that kind of service online? Probably again. But I've never had a problem with my jeweler. Or my insurance agent. Or my car dealer. Or a variety of other persons/entities (which includes Tourneau) with whom/which I regularly do business. Because they know I have a vested interest in them and they know if they take care of me they are going to get repeat business from me. (Maybe I just like being able to call them - Hey its Furd. I need something... But I'm pretty pompous). I also believe that you get what you pay for. And I pay, in part, for a piece of mind.

Edited by Furd

Maybe there are some good online dealers. But if I'm going to shell out some decent money for a watch (or anything else for that matter), I'm not going to buy it online.

To begin with, I'm not going to buy a watch without trying it on. And I'm probably going to try a number of different models from a number of different manufacturers. I'm not the type of person who is going to spend alot of a salesperson's time with no intent of purchasing it because I'm going to buy it online.

Maybe service (or the specter of needing service) isn't that important to you. But I like the idea of taking it somewhere if I need service or maybe even to replace it. I believe that if I have purchased it from a reputable (and authorized) dealer with which/whom I have a relationship, I am going to have it taken care of without any issues, particulalrly those concerning the manufacturer's warranty. I'd rather do that than ship it off in a box to someplace in another state.

Am I "overpaying?" Probably. Can you get that kind of service online? Probably again. But I've never had a problem with my jeweler. Or my insurance agent. Or my car dealer. Or a variety of other persons/entities (which includes Tourneau) with whom/which I regularly do business. Because they know I have a vested interest in them and they know if they take care of me they are going to get repeat business from me. (Maybe I just like being able to call them - Hey its Furd. I need something... But I'm pretty pompous). I also believe that you get what you pay for. And I pay, in part, for a piece of mind.

Thanks for the input. I did spend about 45 minutes to an hour in the store trying on a few Tag's and a couple of Movado's. I think my heart is set on the Carrera and I'll probably just get it from the jeweler (although I didn't get the impression that the guy I was dealing with really knows his stuff). I was up front with him that I already spent some time 'window' shopping online and said I was trying to decide if the premium to purchase from him made sense to me.

Now he pretty much just gave me the price he would quote right off the bat (I believe 15% off of list). Should I negotiate? Is it worth the $100 I may save or do I come across as a cheap ass.

Also do you normally spring for the additional warranty?

Edited by Puddy

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I decided not to wait until my actual anniversary. I ended up buying this one

and

this one

Got a great deal on both IMO. Haven't actually received either yet though. The Carrera was backordered and I just ordered the Luno today.

Thanks for all the advice.

Edited by Puddy

Well, I decided not to wait until my actual anniversary. I ended up buying this one

and

this one

Got a great deal on both IMO. Haven't actually received either yet though. The Carrera was backordered and I just ordered the Luno today.

You know, they come in different colors.

You ended up buying two watches ?

dang , you are doing ok for yourself big boy :wacko:

Well don't use these purchases as an indicator. I had no intention of buying two watches. I already ordered the first one a couple of weeks ago. At the time, I was checking out prices on Ebay for the watch just to see. Well I received an email yesterday that an item I was watching was ending soon. I clicked on it and it shows 'similar' items being sold as it linked to the exact Movado from a different seller. Here is the auction. I thought the price was too good to pass on and rolled the dice that I wasn't getting a fake since I wasn't risking a ton of cash. That's also why I ended up with two silver watches as the other had already been ordered.

Well don't use these purchases as an indicator. I had no intention of buying two watches. I already ordered the first one a couple of weeks ago. At the time, I was checking out prices on Ebay for the watch just to see. Well I received an email yesterday that an item I was watching was ending soon. I clicked on it and it shows 'similar' items being sold as it linked to the exact Movado from a different seller. Here is the auction. I thought the price was too good to pass on and rolled the dice that I wasn't getting a fake since I wasn't risking a ton of cash. That's also why I ended up with two silver watches as the other had already been ordered.

enjoy them both brother :wacko:

• 3 months later...

and

this one

Well, the TAG finally came in this week. Picked it up today. Very nice watch. I've been wearing the Movado for a couple of months. The Carrera will become the everyday watch with the Movado for more dressy occasions even though it is much less expensive.

Good questions. Would the TAG warranty be void if you don't buy from an authorized dealer? What would the "cosmetic things" cover at Fred Meyer?

E2A: I've had a Movado (some time ago) and I wasn't all too impressed. :wacko:

I'm a big Movado fan....why weren't you impressed?

also...I've found that overstock.com has some great deals on Movado watches...and they definitely aren't fakes..

Edited by Avernus