[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Looking for feedback

detlef

One last shot here in terms what I mean when I say, "yes but it will cost you"...

So, does this piss you guys off?

Honestly, just curious here.

No.

Just curious.....it seems you are set against the room fee thing, but if you said why I missed it. 'Splain please.

ETA: BTW, not being pissed off doesn't mean I just say okay. That answer might very well encourage me to look elsewhere first. I imagine that doesn't matter to you because you don't want the party without the minimum, but I just thought I would throw that in there.

Edited by Caveman_Nick

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"We will certainly make your evening one to remember and worth every penny you’re spending."

I'm sure your regulars would understand that but if some random resauranter told me that I would absloutely not believe it.

Customer: I’d like to book a party of 20 for next Friday at 7pm

Me: Well, we’d be happy to take care of that, but unfortunately there are some restrictions I need to tell you about. Basically, in order to accommodate a party that size at that time requires that I close off a section of my dining room for the night. However, I can’t afford to do so on weekend nights without charging a minimum of X dollars. I understand if you don’t feel like spending that and would be happy to waive that on any weekday night or even after 8pm on weekends. Also, I’d like to assure you that, should you decide to go ahead and book that party, we are not talking about a room fee. We will certainly make your evening one to remember and worth every penny you’re spending.

One last shot here in terms what I mean when I say, "yes but it will cost you"...

If I may, your verbage is all wrong here. Don;t use negatives (unfortunately) and words like "restrictions" and like everybody else says, don't talk about minimums that you need to make.

How about something along these lines...

"In order to accomodate a party of that size, to ensure that everyone in your party is served promptly, we like to offer your guests a set menu, based upon items of your choice. Generally, we offer 3 courses (appetizer, entree ,dessert) or (antipasta, salad, entree) or (salad, entree, cheese) whatever you think your guests would most enjoy and the nature of the event. The cost for such a menu would be $XX per person. We would be happy to expand the number of courses if you like."

i honestly think a "room fee" is a better approach than saying "you have to spend x amount". or simply saying, we can't get you in at 7 on friday, but we can get you in at 8. personally the minimum amount thing would bug me a little. it just comes off weird, IMO. like we're bringing 20 people to his restaurant, but we're not worth his while unless we're dropping 80 bucks a person. i really think you're better off approaching it another way.

i honestly think a "room fee" is a better approach than saying "you have to spend x amount". or simply saying, we can't get you in at 7 on friday, but we can get you in at 8. personally the minimum amount thing would bug me a little. it just comes off weird, IMO. like we're bringing 20 people to his restaurant, but we're not worth his while unless we're dropping 80 bucks a person. i really think you're better off approaching it another way.

Especially considering that even though the party is indeed not worth your while unless they spend X, most people 1) do not understand your business well enough to get that and 2) generally live of the opinion that business owners have plenty of money and don't really care if you make any tonight. They aren't there t make you money, they are there to entertain themselves.

If I may, your verbage is all wrong here. Don;t use negatives (unfortunately) and words like "restrictions" and like everybody else says, don't talk about minimums that you need to make.

"In order to accomodate a party of that size, to ensure that everyone in your party is served promptly, we like to offer your guests a set menu, based upon items of your choice. Generally, we offer 3 courses (appetizer, entree ,dessert) or (antipasta, salad, entree) or (salad, entree, cheese) whatever you think your guests would most enjoy and the nature of the event. The cost for such a menu would be $XX per person. We would be happy to expand the number of courses if you like."

werd - that approach sounds much better -

Especially considering that even though the party is indeed not worth your while unless they spend X, most people 1) do not understand your business well enough to get that and 2) generally live of the opinion that business owners have plenty of money and don't really care if you make any tonight. They aren't there t make you money, they are there to entertain themselves.

think of it this way, are you more or less likely to drop $500 bucks at a strip club if the guy at the door says, "sorry, but you can't come in unless you promise to spend $500"?

No.

Just curious.....it seems you are set against the room fee thing, but if you said why I missed it. 'Splain please.

ETA: BTW, not being pissed off doesn't mean I just say okay. That answer might very well encourage me to look elsewhere first. I imagine that doesn't matter to you because you don't want the party without the minimum, but I just thought I would throw that in there.

Once again, based on how infrequently somebody has been looking to do party of 20 and drop $1000, I'm leaning towards just blowing it off anyway. I was pretty much just posting that to explain what I was talking about because, knowing this, I was honestly perplexed by the number of people who were saying they'd feel put off by the policy. Like you said, I don't really care if you don't want to do it. My only concern is that somebody reasonable doesn't find reason to think I'm being an a-hole by going this direction.

"We will certainly make your evening one to remember and worth every penny you’re spending."

I'm sure your regulars would understand that but if some random resauranter told me that I would absloutely not believe it.

Completely understandable. Of course, I would happily e-mail them the types of meals that, along with a moderate amount of cocktails/wine would be the type of thing we were talking about.

For instance, we just did this meal for a large party last Wednesday for $50 a pop plus drinks...

“Jello Salad Extreme”

“Chips and Dips”

-Black sesame cracker with tuna tartar

-Shrimp cracker with green olive tapenade

-Taro chip with parsnip puree

Salad of watercress, endive, Chinese bacon,

and spiced goat cheese with beet vinaigrette

There’s All Sorts of Things You Can Do With Shrimp

-Sesame shrimp toasts

-Vietnamese steamed shrimp pate with seared foie gras

-Shrimp-stuffed shrimp fritter with black vinegar caramel

Large wontons of five-spice duck confit

with adzuki beans and rich broth

Grilled Wagyu beef with potato gratin and Athenaake jus

Dessert

Assorted sweet things to share

The Jello Salad, btw is a dashi aspic with cucumber salad and pop rocks. A rather whimsical amuse.

I find it odd that you guys think a room fee is cool but not a minimum. A room fee means I'm charging you to sit in my restaurant. A minimum means you are getting goods and services for every penny you spend. A room fee is just some surcharge that I drop on your bill. Why would you prefer that?

I'd counter their question with a question of my own to them:

"Is it more important for you to all sit together or to sit at 7pm?"

"Why do you ask?"

"As you may know, our dining room is generally geared to more intimate dining. However, we do have a special section of our dining room set aside to handle large parties, however that doesn't open up until 8pm. If it's more important to sit together than it is to sit at 7pm, then we can provide customized menus that others in the main dining area won't have to chose from. We will be cooking and serving especially for you. However, if it's more important that you sit at 7pm, we will be happy to accomodate you in two separate tables of ten sitting at 7pm. The most important thing for us is that you and all the rest of our very valued patrons enjoy your experience and come visit us again. So, how would you like to proceed? What makes the most sense for you and your group?"

Edited by muck

Nicely put, it's a work in progress. One that, frankly, we've decided to scrap until we come up with something along the lines you're suggesting that won't piss anyone off.

Nicely put, it's a work in progress. One that, frankly, we've decided to scrap until we come up with something along the lines you're suggesting that won't piss anyone off.

The flipside is if someone says "well, we really weren't looking for anything that formal, we just wanted to get together for dinner then you give them the schpeil about how big your restaurant is and the difficulties in accomodating large parties. That's why you've chosen to deal with it this way. Otherwise it's just not feasable for you. People will understand, and if you do a good job of it, whatever reservations they had about it before (no pun intended) they will be more inclined to try it again.

think of it this way, are you more or less likely to drop $500 bucks at a strip club if the guy at the door says, "sorry, but you can't come in unless you promise to spend $500"?

You need to understand that my strip club is such that experience has shown me that, if left to his own devices, dude is not going to spend $500 and I'm completely convinced that, should I not let him in, I'm assured of somebody else spending $500.

So, the only thing I'm concerned about here is that I don't piss him off, not that I close the deal because the deal is closed with somebody else. If I turn that party of 20 away, I am nearly assured of getting at least 20 other people in smaller parties as well as very likely getting that many more again in a second turn. So, if I lose that party because they don't want to spend the $$, that's cool. If that person is made to think I'm an a-hole, that's not.

Well, for starters, you picked the wrong day. You can't even get in for 2 that day unless you're prepared to come at 5:30 (1 table left), 8:30 (1 table left) or 9:00 (come on down, plenty of room for now).

Secondly, our open table is not geared to allow parties of 8 to be reserved on-line.

Edit to add: Sorry, scratch that. 5:30 and 8:30 are now gone to. Can I interest you in 9:00?

Edited by detlef

I find it odd that you guys think a room fee is cool but not a minimum. A room fee means I'm charging you to sit in my restaurant. A minimum means you are getting goods and services for every penny you spend. A room fee is just some surcharge that I drop on your bill. Why would you prefer that?

well, for one it's more straightforward, they feel like they're paying for the room, and not being treated like they're not wanted unless they're stuffing their faces with booze and appetizers. two, the number you're slapping on them is way lower -- sure the bottom line is probably worse for them as far as getting less grub for the same money, but the number that gets them in the door is way way less and you can't overlook the psychological impact of that. three, once they're in they can order as much or as little as they want without feeling they've got some number hanging over their head that they have to get to.

i'm not a huge fan of the room fee concept either, but if you're intent on slapping a surcharge on people bringing a dozen other people into your place, it seems to me like a better way of going about it than your big fat minimum amount idea.

well, for one it's more straightforward, they feel like they're paying for the room, and not being treated like they're not wanted unless they're stuffing their faces with booze and appetizers. two, the number you're slapping on them is way lower -- sure the bottom line is probably worse for them as far as getting less grub for the same money, but the number that gets them in the door is way way less and you can't overlook the psychological impact of that. three, once they're in they can order as much or as little as they want without feeling they've got some number hanging over their head that they have to get to.

i'm not a huge fan of the room fee concept either, but if you're intent on slapping a surcharge on people bringing a dozen other people into your place, it seems to me like a better way of going about it than your big fat minimum amount idea.

Well, that's why I ask these questions.

I suppose I assumed people would prefer to have their money's worth.

I don't know if this has been mentioned, but you should charge a flat fee for renting the space. One for weekdays and a higher one for weekends. Then the food would cost what it costs and the tip would be what it would be. You are just covering your arse by charging enough of a fee to cover the amount of space being lost to opportunity while providing your guests with enough privacy to have a good time and conversation. Anyway...that is how they do it where I am from.

We went to Carraba's Saturday night with the neighbors. Had a table for 10. We ordered 3 appetizers, drinks and everything. The place let our drinks run out during the dinner because they knew they were getting the automatic 18% tip. Normally we throw on some extra, but you could tell they wanted our big table out of there. I can understand if we were chatting after the meal, but the waitress and staff basically slapped the food on the table and never returned. We finally flagged the beesh down.

Worst part was we had bragged to 4 of them that had never eaten there how good the place was. By the end, we were apologizing and very uncomfortable with the experience. Needless to say, none of will be returning in the near future.

It takes so little to lose a customer nowadays that you're better off erring on the side of caution. Just my :wacko:

We went to Carraba's Saturday night with the neighbors. Had a table for 10. We ordered 3 appetizers, drinks and everything. The place let our drinks run out during the dinner because they knew they were getting the automatic 18% tip. Normally we throw on some extra, but you could tell they wanted our big table out of there. I can understand if we were chatting after the meal, but the waitress and staff basically slapped the food on the table and never returned. We finally flagged the beesh down.

Worst part was we had bragged to 4 of them that had never eaten there how good the place was. By the end, we were apologizing and very uncomfortable with the experience. Needless to say, none of will be returning in the near future.

It takes so little to lose a customer nowadays that you're better off erring on the side of caution. Just my :wacko:

yup

its not what you say but how you say it...Billay said it in a much more palatable manner