[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Shockey to decide if he'll attend Super Bowl?

tonyr0802

I've always thought Shockey played the game with great intensity, some old school flavor if you will. But after a couple of years of his antics, and just reading this I think some of his bravado on the field may just be some selfish/immature behavior. What kind of teammate has to think about whether he will go support his team in the Super Bowl??? Given the way Boss has stepped up in his absence, maybe Shockey should be concerned about his future in NY.

The Giants invited injured tight end Jeremy Shockey to the Super Bowl, but he hasn't decided whether to attend.

If Shockey declines to attend, it will be sure to raise some eyebrows especially after recent speculation that Eli Manning's epiphany only occurred once Shockey's dominant personality was removed from the huddle.

Link

Edited by tonyr0802

http://proxy.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?id=1193711

Dave introduced me to the Ewing Theory three years ago, and we've been tinkering with it like Voltaire and Thoreau ever since. Eventually, we decided that two crucial elements needed to be in place for any situation to qualify for "Ewing" status:

A star athlete receives an inordinate amount of media attention and fan interest, and yet his teams never win anything substantial with him (other than maybe some early-round playoff series).

That same athlete leaves his team (either by injury, trade, graduation, free agency or retirement) -- and both the media and fans immediately write off the team for the following season.

granted hes only a tight end....hes had some pretty productive years...some pro bowls...i get alot of giants game on tv...ive just never seen what all the fuss is about personally...i just dont see why he gets so much attention in the ny post....maybe its because i still have memories of him in that playoff game in san fran his rookie year

The Giants, and E Manning in particular, are much better without Shockey than with him. Classic addition by subtraction. Hopefully if he decides that he can play that Coughlin benches his sorry arse, even if it might affect his trade value.

Amazing how arrogance, selfishness, and stupidity can detract from the value of ability ... He's mulling not going and supporting his team? That pretty much sums it up. Send him to Miami. Or the CFL.

Screw Shockey. He's been a head case since day 1, a distraction the team does not need going forward. Boss is big, he can block, he runs his routes and shuts his mouth. I will be the first one to buy a Boss jersey.

It will be a great day for the Giants when Strahan retires and if/when Shockey is traded, speaking purely from a morale/locker room standpoint. Plaxico is getting on my last nerve too. The classless behavior by these guys is not what the Giants have been about in the past. It's embarrassing.

The Giants, and E Manning in particular, are much better without Shockey than with him. Classic addition by subtraction. Hopefully if he decides that he can play that Coughlin benches his sorry arse, even if it might affect his trade value.

This is exactly what I was thinking. Is it a coincidence that Manning has been playing better without Shockey around?

Maybe the Giants are trying to decide if they give a rattsass whether he shows or not.

Screw Shockey. He's been a head case since day 1, a distraction the team does not need going forward. Boss is big, he can block, he runs his routes and shuts his mouth. I will be the first one to buy a Boss jersey.

It will be a great day for the Giants when Strahan retires and if/when Shockey is traded, speaking purely from a morale/locker room standpoint. Plaxico is getting on my last nerve too. The classless behavior by these guys is not what the Giants have been about in the past. It's embarrassing.

You are a Giant fan ? I'm not so sure because you don't really sound like one. Boss is doing a heckuva job but no way does he block or catch as well as Shockey. The distraction in the locker room is another issue altogether, one which could be remedied rather easily imo.

Another thing, just Because Strahan and Plax are having some fun on media day you get all pissy on them? :wacko: This team would not be here without the contributions of these two , lighten up.

I'll agree that plax's prediction wasn't the best example of class and decorum but wasn't all that awful either, not like he dissed the NE team , just stated how he felt.

You are a Giant fan ? I'm not so sure because you don't really sound like one. Boss is doing a heckuva job but no way does he block or catch as well as Shockey. The distraction in the locker room is another issue altogether, one which could be remedied rather easily imo.

Another thing, just Because Strahan and Plax are having some fun on media day you get all pissy on them? :wacko: This team would not be here without the contributions of these two , lighten up.

I'll agree that plax's prediction wasn't the best example of class and decorum but wasn't all that awful either, not like he dissed the NE team , just stated how he felt.

kind of gotta agree with Front row ... Last thing Giant fans are looking for now is the negative

other than shockey ( which i do not view as a major part of SB week since he aint playing ) , it really is all good

enjoy the ride

I totally agree on the Strahan and Plex comments but not so much on Shockey. It's not what happens in the locker room but in the huddle where Shockey's biggest disruptive value is. The biggest reason Eli is playing better without Shockey is that he doesn't have to make him a primary read just to try and get him the ball to shut him up. Shockey's selfishness in the huddle destroy's Eli's light touch leadership style. So now Eli can just throw the ball to an open receiver or get rid of it without having to deal with the aftermath in the huddle.

BTW, I think that Boss IS a better blocker than Shockey but you're right about him not having his hands. Nor does he run routes anywhere near as well as Shockey either. But Shockey wants to be the #1 or #2 option in this offense at all times, something that I believe has led to our younger receivers not developing as well as they could. You'll notice that since Shockey went down, not only has Toomer shined but Steve Smith has started to assert himself as well.

As big a talent as he is, It wouldn't break my heart for the front office to trade him for some value now. I'm not sure of his contract status though.

just curious, how is this 'easily' done?

The team leaders and/ or coaches need to sit him down, tell him to put his ego in check and let his play speak . Or else, he will be moving on.

I believe he wants to contribute he just needs to understand /realize that his behavior can be a negative. If he could chill out and just do his job he would garner a lot more respect, not just locally but league wide imo.

If my employer asks me to attend a major celebration in which, we as a team, could be crowned the best in our profession.

I show up, unless I can't walk or sit for 5-8 hours (basically bedridden)..

If they win, he gets a ring. (Yes, I know, he also gets a ring if they lose...)

It's not as if he was hurt in the pre-season, he was still part of the team.

He helped them get there, just wasn't able to finish the season.

Perhaps his "staying away" until the last moment is a "teammate move."

He's less of a disturbance if he isn't asked any questions.

May actually be a pretty wise move to only show up for the game.

If my employer asks me to attend a major celebration in which, we as a team, could be crowned the best in our profession.

I show up, unless I can't walk or sit for 5-8 hours (basically bedridden)..

If they win, he gets a ring. (Yes, I know, he also gets a ring if they lose...)

It's not as if he was hurt in the pre-season, he was still part of the team.

He helped them get there, just wasn't able to finish the season.

If need be, to stay away as a " teammate move " to not cause distractions, then he should be an ex-teammate 2008

If need be, to stay away as a " teammate move " to not cause distractions, then he should be an ex-teammate 2008

Or it could be a growing moment. Sometimes it takes "not being there" to figure out that you should be there.

PS - He's got a contract through 2011.

:wacko:

Thanks, riff. I see the light.

Now can you help me catch all these monkeys that just flew out of my ass?