[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Hall of Fame 2008

piratesownninjas

Probably could vote for only one wideout. Monk before Carter. Next year Carter for sure!

Player rec yards TD years

Monk 940 12721 68 14

Carter 1101 13899 130 12

Irvin 750 11904 65 12

Even with Carter's one game with Miami counted as a season, he averaged 10.8 touchdowns a year. There is no way that Irvin should have gotten in over Monk and Cris Carter not. Just throwing Irvin in as he was the last WR to get in.

huh? how many of those guys were on their first ballot? i think green might be the only one. most of those guys had been passed by more than once.

So, Art Monk in the Hall of Fame isn't a no brainer? Andre Tippett wasn't LT-lite for a good chunk of the 80s? Gary Zimmerman wasn't one of the best OLs in the league for a decade or so?

Whether or not they were voted in, they have the credentials. I think Art Monk's long wait shows that the HoF voting process is, at best, flawed.

So, Art Monk in the Hall of Fame isn't a no brainer? Andre Tippett wasn't LT-lite for a good chunk of the 80s? Gary Zimmerman wasn't one of the best OLs in the league for a decade or so?

Whether or not they were voted in, they have the credentials. I think Art Monk's long wait shows that the HoF voting process is, at best, flawed.

Wasn't Zimmerman part of two different All Decade teams?

There a good blurb by Peter King in this weeks Monday Morning QB column about the voting process (he has a vote). It just boils down to too many good WRs this year. He also doesn't think much of Tags chances (even though he introduced him again this year).

There a good blurb by Peter King in this weeks Monday Morning QB column about the voting process (he has a vote). It just boils down to too many good WRs this year. He also doesn't think much of Tags chances (even though he introduced him again this year).

That idiot King is one of the reasons it took Monk so long to get in.

So, Art Monk in the Hall of Fame isn't a no brainer?

apparently not, since it took him 8 f'n tries to finally make it.

Andre Tippett wasn't LT-lite for a good chunk of the 80s? Gary Zimmerman wasn't one of the best OLs in the league for a decade or so?

same answer.

Whether or not they were voted in, they have the credentials.

uhh.....yeah, that is why i said it was a good list. a list of highly deserving candidates who had been back-burnered for far too long. i'm not sure why you decided to argue with me about that since you are now basically saying the exact same thing. :wacko:

I had a feeling he wouldn't make it on the first ballot, but I was shocked as I thought Carter was the lock to make it this year.

+1 Carter was a bad-ass and I agree that he was one of the Top 15 to ever play the position. Should've gotten in this year.

Monk is finally in; sadly, I think he's the last of the 80s/90s WRs who gets in due to the offensive "grade inflation" that has taken place since. Quality players like Henry Ellard, Herman Moore, and Andre Rison probably don't even get a sniff at this point.

Agreed about Ellard, but Moore and Rison played most of their careers in the '90s and only had about 4-6 dominant seasons each. Neither matches up to the bad-asses of their time, IMO (Rice, Brown, Carter, Reed, Irvin, etc.). Of the guys who will be eligible next, Isaac Bruce and Andre Reed appear to be the "standard" for eventual HOF selection... and I'm not even sure that Bruce will get in.

uhh.....yeah, that is why i said it was a good list. a list of highly deserving candidates who had been back-burnered for far too long. i'm not sure why you decided to argue with me about that since you are now basically saying the exact same thing. :wacko:

You were saying they weren't huge "names" - I disagree on that. Even casual fans knew of Green, Monk, and Tippett. Zimmerman was an OL, so is a bit more obscure for the average fan, but if PON is correct was highly regarded within the game.

We all know that the HoF voting process is flawed; I got the impression you were saying the committee went deep into the vaults for these guys, and I just didn't think it was so - at least 3 of the 5 guys (Zim, Green, Tippett; again, Emmitt Thomas excepted because I'm not that familiar with him) were regarded as among the best at their position for the better part of a decade. I'm personally a bit less convinced that Monk was all that and a bag of chips, but retiring with the "NFL's All-Time Leading Receiver" is resume enough for his part.

STILL no place for Jim Marshall.

You're kidding. He's not in yet??

Quality players like Henry Ellard, Herman Moore, and Andre Rison probably don't even get a sniff at this point.

er nor should they.

the HoF voting process is, at best, flawed.
And it'll only get worse as the "stats are everything" younger dweebs start replacing the old school guys with (IMO) more of a clue what "best ever" really means ie you can't just look at stats, pro bowls etc.

How in the Hell does Tippett get in & Randy Gradishar is locked out yet again? Gradishar spent 10 years as starter putting up better per-game numbers in most sifgnificant LB categories than Ray Lewis has. Are you telling me that Tippett has a better resume, or that Lewis will be kept out of the HoF for even the first year he is eligible, much less the ridiculous succesion of years that gradishar has endured the snub?

What a joke. Just another confirmation that the vast majority of sports writers do not have even a modicum of understanding of the sport they cover.

You're kidding. He's not in yet??

Nope. Marshall played 282 consecutive games (starting 270 consecutive) in an era of a 14 game season. That's 20 years without missing a game and 19 years without missing a start. Even though Feagles has gone past him, he's a punter. Marshall was in the trenches the entire time. I can't even begin to get my head around how it's possible to play 20 years straight, most of them outdoors in the coldest venue in the league when the game was less regulated than it is now.

Jim Marshall not in is an embarrassment to the NFL.

I am no Vikings fan but this is +1,000,000. The HoF is unworthy without Marshall.