[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Need help deciding on a 40" LCD HDTV

Hitman

Alright...after a LOT of research, I've narrowed my search down to 2. The biggest difference being the Sony is 1080p and the Samsung is 720p. I've read all about the differences between the 2, and it doesn't seem that 1080p is a must have right now, although I don't plan on buying another for a few years. They are both great deals IMO...but which is the BETTER deal? $200 difference. Is the Bravia that much better than the Samsung? I know some of you have bought both brands.....help a brotha out. TIA

Sony Bravia KDL-40V3000

Samsung LNT4042H

Edited by Hitman

Alright...after a LOT of research, I've narrowed my search down to 2. The biggest difference being the Sony is 1080p and the Samsung is 720p. I've read all about the differences between the 2, and it doesn't seem that 1080p is a must have right now, although I don't plan on buying another for a few years. They are both great deals IMO...but which is the BETTER deal? $200 difference. Is the Bravia that much better than the Samsung? I know some of you have bought both brands.....help a brotha out. TIA

Sony Bravia KDL-40V3000

Samsung LNT4042H

Don't know much about the Bravia but I have a couple of Samsung LCD's (not quite that big) that were the highest rated in all the research that I did and are great TVs. Very sharp pictures in HD. Samsung and Sony are both considered leading brands in LCD so I don't think you would really go wrong either way.

Another vote for Samy! I bought their 40" LCD a little over a year ago, 1080, 2 HDMI's, but it also had PinP, and a timer that turns the set on at a specified time. It works great for those naps before the big game! :wacko: Sony didn't have either.

If you're not getting 1080p with HDMI you are, in essence, purchasing a product that will be obsolete very soon. Drop the coin and get the TV with those features.

Not saying you wouldn't keep the 720p for as long as the other but if you're going to do it, do it right.

If you're not getting 1080p with HDMI you are, in essence, purchasing a product that will be obsolete very soon. Drop the coin and get the TV with those features.

Not saying you wouldn't keep the 720p for as long as the other but if you're going to do it, do it right.

When will the benefit 1080 with HDMI completely kick in ? i admit i am not up with the times yet with info on this

Edited by isleseeya

When will the benefit 1080 with HDMI completely kick in ? i admit i am not up with the times yet with info on this

2-4 years. Video games are going that way, but I'll admit that I'm not fully up on when ALL HD broadcasts will make it to 1080p or i. It is clear it will be before the life's end of a 720p TV you buy this year.

I have a 32" Sony Bravia, a 32" Samsung, a 42" Samsung (all 1080), and a 51" 720 Samsung DLP. The 51" is what I watch movies on, and my eyersight is getting so bad it just didn't pay for another 1080. The DLP is cheap, and while you can't hang it on the wall, it is pretty thin. The last generation DLP's are cheap right now because they're considered dinosaurs, but from what I understand the color wheel and bulb are the only things that fail, and when they do you can replace them for $100. Free shipping most of the time from Amazon, I'd do a search on the size of TV you want and select "bestselling". Watch is for a week and you can tell when the really good deals come up.

I use the Sony Bravia as the #2 monitor connected to a PC in one of the bedrooms. The PC input is kinda cool, and if you work with CAD software or video editing it's awesome. Don't pay for a PC input if you're not gonna use it, but if you have one it's a really cool feature. Also, invest in a sound bar. I have a Yamaha YSP-800 (paid <$400 for it on Amazon) connected to a Polk Audio sub (about $125). I still need the rear speakers, but the sounbar will blow any center channel away.

I would go Samsung as they usually have a better aspect ratio compared to the Bravia that is usually similar in price...plus they usually have more HDMI ports and such...Sony goes cheap in that department too...

I own a Bravia from last year and wish I just waited another week for the store to get the Samsung so I wouldn't have to use an HDMI switcher...

Put me down for the 1080p Sony - Sony has an excellent overall picture IMO- and I prefer Sony over Samsung all things being fairly equal, and in this the extra dough is worth the 1080 over the 720.

What are you all using yer HDMI ports on yer sets for?? I have Pioneer with 2 HDMI - but I only need to run one to my A/V - what else are you guys uisng them for I am curious?? The only important # of HDMI ports for me is my A/V - since that is where everything is running thru...........

Put me down for the 1080p Sony - Sony has an excellent overall picture IMO- and I prefer Sony over Samsung all things being fairly equal, and in this the extra dough is worth the 1080 over the 720.

What are you all using yer HDMI ports on yer sets for?? I have Pioneer with 2 HDMI - but I only need to run one to my A/V - what else are you guys uisng them for I am curious?? The only important # of HDMI ports for me is my A/V - since that is where everything is running thru...........

ouch...didn't know the Sony was a 1080p...

didn't read the link either...

edit: get the 1080p...for that price it is an outstanding value...period..

when you purchase a HDTV set, you will want high def media some point down the line (Blu-ray or HD DVD, even though HD DVD is on a dialysis machine)....but you'll want to see your movies in the highest resolution possible to get your "money's worth"...and again...some point down the line and the Sony model makes your entertainment system future-proof for the foreseeable future..

Edited by Avernus

Thanks for all the responses. :wacko: They are both great deals, and both brands get high praises from you guys. I'm leaning towards the 1080p Bravia because I don't think I'll be buying another very soon, and I can't find a deal as good as that one on a 1080p Samsung...about $100 more for the best deal I've found. Thanks again for all the input..and keep it coming. :D

Thanks for all the responses. :wacko: They are both great deals, and both brands get high praises from you guys. I'm leaning towards the 1080p Bravia because I don't think I'll be buying another very soon, and I can't find a deal as good as that one on a 1080p Samsung...about $100 more for the best deal I've found. Thanks again for all the input..and keep it coming. :D

definitely and be sure to hit up monoprice.com for HDMI cables...

CXheckout the side features like PiP, and the auto turn on. FWIW

Sony Bravia KDL-40V3000 40" 1080p LCD HDTV $1201 free shipping

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Bravia-KDL-40V3...W/ref=pd_ts_e_1

Sony KDL-40V2500 40" Bravia V-Series 1080p LCD HDTV $999 without free shipping

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-KDL-40V2500-Bra...W/ref=pd_ts_e_5

SAMSUNG HLT5076

50" 1080P DLP HDTV

http://shop1.outpost.com/product/5233867?s...CH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

This is a bit of an exaggeration. 720p will not be "obsolete" anytime soon. Also, getting a high quality 720p (like from Sony or Samsung) will likely give you a better picture than some bargain brand 1080p LCDs. Yes, technically, if you went with the Samsung over the Sony here will not have the highest resolution, but with a 40" screen and the distance most people sit away from it, only a videophile will be able to tell the difference. But don't take my word for it, go and see for yourself in a "big box" store.

That said, I would most consider what you will hook up to it. Assuming you do not have a stereo receiver with HDMI switching here.... If you have a high-def cable/satellite box and a high def DVD player and a high def compatible gaming system, realize you will have to invest in a good HDMI switcher to plug all three into the Sony and get the best picture (it has 2 HDMI port vs. Samsung's 3). If you only plan on using two of the above, get the Sony.

Edited by The Irish Doggy

i actually dont think your eye can see a discernible difference between 720p and 1080p at 40" but I could be wrong....but with that said HDMI has the ability to give you great sound with BluRay too

Keggerz is absolutely correct here. At 40", your eyes will be able to tell very little difference between 720p and 1080p.

I have a Samsung 40" 720p LCD and I love it. I have had it for about a year with no issues at all. Make sure with whatever TV you get that you also get some sort of video calibration DVD to help get your colors and blacks just right for the lighting in your room.

-Scourge