[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Critique my fatherly advice

polksalet

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't beget violence with violence over a stretched sweat shirt. There's a difference between defending one's self and teaching your kids that violence is an acceptable soluation to petty problems. I dunno. Stretched Gap sweatshirt just doesn't meet my threshold for encouraging a 5 year old to throw down.

+1

My 8-year old has neighborhood friends that are a tad older than him, and over the years they have always led the way in terms of teasing, bullying, etc. I always taught my son that if someone is verbally or physically assaulting you or one of your younger siblings (he is the oldest of four), offer a warning to stop as your first response, then offer the consequenses of what you'll do next as your second response. He has never actually come to blows with another child, which I beleive is in part to me giving him the thumbs-up.

Tread carefully here guys. Things ain't like they used to be.

My 8 year old daughter was getting picked on a few weeks ago on the school bus by a child my step-son's age (13). I told my step-son to protect his little sister no matter what. I told him to just warn the kid and not be the first to throw a punch no matter what. But if hands are put on you, swing as hard as you can right at his nose.

Long story short, my step-son told this kid that if he continued to pick on his little sister, he was gonna "take care of it" himself. My step-son was called into the office of his school and suspended from the bus for a week. The clincher is he told the principal what I told him word for word and the principal called my wife and said that, as an adult, I could be in trouble with the law for telling him it was OK to defend his sister. :wacko:

And it is truly sad that you are feeling "bullied" by my responses.

what can i say, i'm sensitive.

seriously, it is funny that you come in all high and mighty talking about how antagonizers will just keep going if they remain unchecked and then you immediately proceed to continuously antagonize ...

:wacko:

My 8-year old started karate at age 4....$90 per month....2 one-hour classes per week.

The (1) structure, (2) confidence and (3) respect for authority it taught him may have been more valuable than any real self-defense techniques, IMO. He certainly knows that if the time came to have to defend himself, he'd know what to do. That knowledge alone allows him to stick-up for himself with confidence.

My kid's teacher also throws in obay and honor your parents. Any kind of bad behavior is quickly corrected by a threat of reporting it to his instructor! :D

My son started just after his fourth birthday and will be six in May. At first it is just hilarious to see a group of four year olds to do jumping jacks! :wacko: But you would be amazed how fast they learn at this age. I am sure he would not be able to do a jumping jack today if it wasn't for his classes! His twin sister started, but is way "girlie-girl" and though she liked it , wanted to go to dancing classes instead (which are a good deal at community centers, etc.)

Classes can have big price ranges! You can look into YMCA and Recreation Dept. outlets that are less expensive yet larger and less personal (in our experience). The privately run schools will often give you 4 to 8 free classes to start with to see if the kids engage. Some of the schools even give a free uniform and white belt. The school my son is in allows him to go to three classes a week (usually one on Sat) and any of the other forms classes he can talk me into at the end of the day when I get home. This is good because the routine is established and he willingly practices at home (which amazes me for a 5 year old boy!) This school charged me a flat rate that is good until he reaches a certain belt/achievement level. Once he passes that test, then another flat rate kicks in. It was about $1,500. This is steep, but the YMCA 2-a-days just didn't seem to fit, and I am very satisfied with the results. They may be however a good place to start to see if it may be a long term interest. What usually ends up happening though is that if you do end up going to a more involved program, you take a few steps backward in order to get caught up to the "way" of that school.

IF he gets into it, you won't regret it! Be careful as to the art you choose. Judo i also a good one to start with since it is a lot of rolling around and active. The teacher is truely the "make or break" factor, so take advantage of the free classes to see how your boy bonds to the instructor.

[The clincher is he told the principal what I told him word for word and the principal called my wife and said that, as an adult, I could be in trouble with the law for telling him it was OK to defend his sister. :wacko:

Wow, what total b*s....

My 8 year old daughter was getting picked on a few weeks ago on the school bus by a child my step-son's age (13). I told my step-son to protect his little sister no matter what. I told him to just warn the kid and not be the first to throw a punch no matter what. But if hands are put on you, swing as hard as you can right at his nose.

Long story short, my step-son told this kid that if he continued to pick on his little sister, he was gonna "take care of it" himself. My step-son was called into the office of his school and suspended from the bus for a week. The clincher is he told the principal what I told him word for word and the principal called my wife and said that, as an adult, I could be in trouble with the law for telling him it was OK to defend his sister. :wacko:

tell the principle that if one child lays a hand on either of your children on the bus or on school property that you will sue the school district for failing to maintain a safe environment when they had clear knowledge that there was a strong likelihood of an attack forthcoming.

tell the school youre lawyers will take care of that also

tell the principle that if one child lays a hand on either of your children on the bus or on school property that you will sue the school district for failing to maintain a safe environment when they had clear knowledge that there was a strong likelihood of an attack forthcoming.

:wacko:

Believe me, I was driving to the school for a little chat the next day, but my wife talked me out of it. I decided to let things cool down and see what happened. So far so good.

I'll keep what you said in mind though. :wacko:

I have girls as you guys know and I realize the threat of violence certainly exists with them too but its usually less then with the boys. That being said we had an incident with my 4 year old. My wife let it play out and my kid did great an learned a valuable lesson and no one was harmed. They were on line going into school and a boy behind my daughter pushed a boy in front of my daughter. The boy in front that got pushed turned around and assumed it was my daughter and he pushed her. My wife said he was a full head bigger then her. She was surprised since she didnt do anything but she shoved him right back. He shoved her again and my wife said she got her two hands and pushed him in the chest like a lineman that is pass protecting . He went a few steps backwards and just turned around and it was over. When my wife told me I was so psyched. We actually used it as a lesson to my older daughter who doesnt have an aggressive bone in her body and has let a few instances where she should have stood up for herself slide. My older kid has since toughened up a little but I love the way the little one handled it and there was really no harm or reprecussions

Edited by whomper

My daughter had a problem in ninth grade and it was all on video, as we got to see at a board hearing. A kid walked up behind her and reached over her shoulders to give her a two boob honk. She turned to him with a closed fist and told him that if he touched her again she would kick the chit out of him. A few seconds latter came a more forceful honk and then a right hook that lifted the kid off the ground and then down he went. She crouched over him and unleashed a flurry of punches that broke a cheek bone, nose, and three teeth. She was kicked out of school. Major fighting with the principal and then later a hearing at the board of education where the entire video was presented as evidence before my daughter was cleared. One of the board people ask my daughter where she learned to handle herself like that and she said that she said that she knew and has always known that if you let them get away with it once, they will do it again and again. She then said that he won't do it to her because he knows what she will do to him.

He was at the hearing when she said that.

I actually love hearing this story.

My daughter, who will be 16 in August, has been training with me in martial arts now for the last 4 to 5 years. She is very athletic, very strong and a very capable fighter. She loves to spar the boys versus the girls because she is afraid she will hurt the girls ... and there have been more than a few boys and adults who are afraid she will hurt them. I am comforted by the thought that my daughter will have the confidence and know how to handle unwanted attention from ogres. I will handle the attention of the rest.

My soon to be 13 year old son has not yet hit the growth spurt that would allow him to feel comfortable in a fight with his oldest sister either.