[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Berrian to the Vikings

CaP'N GRuNGe

http://ww3.startribune.com/vikingsblog/?p=1398

Berrian announcement imminent

March 1st, 2008 – 4:26 PM by Kevin Seifert

The Vikings have agreed to terms with WR Bernard Berrian on a six-year contract and an announcement should come before the night is up. Access Vikings will keep you updated on the facts.

FoxSports is also reporting the news, along with our friends at the Chicago Sun-Times.

This entry was posted on Saturday, March 1st, 2008 at 4:26 pm and is filed

Good signing, but why would any receiver head to a team with such a bad QB? Bernard Berrian is no longer an option in fantasy circles.

I think Jackson can be pretty good with such a strong OL and ground game...

he just needs competent wideouts..

Good signing, but why would any receiver head to a team with such a bad QB? Bernard Berrian is no longer an option in fantasy circles.

How naive. The answer, of course, is that the Vikings were paying the most money. Berrian wouldn't give a rats ass if Wile E Coyote was at QB.

So I guess Hester will have to score ALL the TDs next season for Chicago.

Well, we've got Bobby Wade and now Berrian... maybe Hester will be the next ex-Bear to mozy up Nort don't ya know.

:wacko: I love this signing!

Guest Chappy

I think Jackson can be pretty good with such a strong OL and ground game...

he just needs competent wideouts..

You know I kind of agree with Avernus here. I'd argue that Berrian's value does not drop, but rather improves with the Vikings. In Chicago Berrian would have Rex Grossman (2007 - 66.4 QB rating) tossing him the rock and a marginal running game.

The Vikes have one of the best o-lines in the NFL, a premiere running game to keep defenses honest, and Tarvis Jackson (2007 - 70.8) who arguably played at about the same level as Grossman last year.

WR's usually take a dip in fantasy stats when they switch teams, but I'm thinking Berrian actually gets better. AP will also be a big part of making things happen.

“The nastiest player ever”

March 1st, 2008 – 8:27 PM by Kevin Seifert That was new Vikings WR Bernard Berrian’s answer this evening when asked to describe his game. The assembled media laughed and then awaited his follow up. After a brief silence, Berrian said: “I was serious.”

So went Berrian’s first news conference in Minnesota. The Vikings’ $42 million man was funny, confident and relieved to have completed his two-day recruiting trip. During a 15-minute question-and-answer period, Berrian said he was assured there would be “stability” at the quarterback position and said the Vikings were his top choice because he can see the “upside” of the team.

Here are some excerpts:

On what appealed to him about the Vikings: “They’ve got a great running back, which we all know. I think the key part that we’re missing is the receiver to take the pressure off that running game. If you get both of those parts added in there, it’s hard to tell which one you are going to choose. Pick your poison. It’s a great offense, what they’ve been telling me, what they’re going to try to do with me, my role, and I really saw my role expanding here as opposed to being in Chicago.”

On whether he is ready to be a true No. 1 WR: “I’ve definitely been prepared for it. I wanted that last year, to be the No. 1 guy. The numbers actually came out that way, but I wasn’t actually the first read in our offense … A lot of times, I did receive a lot of the attention as the season progressed. I saw the safety over the top a lot as our running game started to struggle. So that’s what we’re hoping to bring here. Either back those safeties up, out of the box, or you stack them up and we go over the top.”

On his blocking: “I’m not the greatest blocker. I’m not going to lie. But that’s what practice is for. We’re going to work on it and I’m going to work on it to get better. I’m definitely willing to throw my body in there and block. I’m not the type of receiver that’s going to go out there with a lackluster effort. I’m definitely going to give it my full effort.”

On Vikings QB Tarvaris Jackson: ”He definitely has a strong arm. He can get the ball down the field, so there’s no need to worry about that. From what they’re telling me, he’s a very smart quarterback. He’s got the capability to learn further. I see only upside to him. I only see him getting better as we go. He’s a young player. He’s only going to get better with experience. I think that’s where we’re all going to get better. I’m going to make him better. He’s going to make me better.”

On whether he sought assurances about the Vikings’ QB situation: ”Definitely it’s always an important part. You can’t do anything if you don’t have the ball, someone to get you the ball. You can’t do anything if you aren’t getting open in the first place. They assured me there was definitely going to be stability here. I didn’t have to worry about that or anything of that nature. It’s just coming in here and getting a chance to workout so we can get that competitive nature together going together and get on a roll and get a rhythm established and start to work.”

“Berrian said he was assured there would be “stability” at the quarterback position and said the Vikings were his top choice because he can see the “upside” of the team.

Childress has not had stability at QB at any point with the Vikings. It will be interesting to see what this means.

On what appealed to him about the Vikings: “They’ve got a great running back.

I wouldn't be surprised to see others sign with the team for the same reason.

Good signing by the Vikes. Let's see if the Bear WR Pipeline works out on this one.

Edited by MikesVikes

Childress has not had stability at QB at any point with the Vikings. It will be interesting to see what this means.

I think it means Jackson will continue to be the starter. It must mean Jackson will not get hurt next year or pull himself out of games. He was 8-4 as a starter. From what he said at press conf about Jackson is what they sold him on:

On Vikings QB Tarvaris Jackson: ”He definitely has a strong arm. He can get the ball down the field, so there’s no need to worry about that. From what they’re telling me, he’s a very smart quarterback. He’s got the capability to learn further. I see only upside to him. I only see him getting better as we go. He’s a young player. He’s only going to get better with experience. I think that’s where we’re all going to get better. I’m going to make him better. He’s going to make me better.”

Are the Vikings still pursuing Sage R from the Texans??? They can not go into this seaso like they did in 07 with crap at back up fpr T-Jax.

I agree that the Vikings are going to give him 08 to prove himself, but as Outshined stated above, he needs to stay healthy and stop pulling himsel out of games.

Berrian and Rice give the Vikings a nice 1-2 puch at receiver and I assume they are going to try and get AD more involved in the passing game via the often underused screen or dump off pass.

So far I am not overly excited nor am I dissapointed by the Vikings FA.... There is a lot of $$ out there and guys are getting huge paychecks for average performance.

Are the Vikings still pursuing Sage R from the Texans??? They can not go into this seaso like they did in 07 with crap at back up fpr T-Jax.

I agree that the Vikings are going to give him 08 to prove himself, but as Outshined stated above, he needs to stay healthy and stop pulling himsel out of games.

Berrian and Rice give the Vikings a nice 1-2 puch at receiver and I assume they are going to try and get AD more involved in the passing game via the often underused screen or dump off pass.

So far I am not overly excited nor am I dissapointed by the Vikings FA.... There is a lot of $$ out there and guys are getting huge paychecks for average performance.

They wanted a second round pick for him. We would only give up a third. its a long time until draft day and anything can happen. There isn't much for QB's out there right now.