[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Obama's speech on race in this country

Randall

This was a great speech and believe it's about time someone tackled it. He is in a unique person because he has seen and lived in the black and white worlds. Perhaps he can do things that bring more people together after all. I would be hard because there is a lot of division about race and hurt people on all sides. He addressed those who feel affirmative action is unjust and those in the black community that feel they sub class citizens.

I remember after the OJ trial(who I thought guilty) and was struck because reporters went out trying to go somewhere wheer they could interview both black and white on the verdict and could find a place top do it.

His speech.

This was a great speech and believe it's about time someone tackled it. He is in a unique person because he has seen and lived in the black and white worlds. Perhaps he can do things that bring more people together after all.

:wacko:

For the most part, his speech was classic Obama: Incredibly well-crafted, articulate, and his delivery was excellent.

But when you listen to what he said (and what he didn't say), it was much less impressive. I don't see how he could compare disowning a preacher to whom he's not related to disowning the grandmother that helped raise him. It's pretty easy to walk out of a church and never return, but it's pretty difficult to turn one's back on family. And comparing Geraldine Ferraro's recent comments to Jeremiah Wright's is basically comparing apples to asteroids. He also failed to explain WHY he continued to support Wright and attend his church when he's obviously known about his racist rhetoric and friendship with Farrakhan for years.

He addressed those who feel affirmative action is unjust

And this is where he really screwed up. Instead of trying to appeal to Independents - many of whom are White and don't support affirmative action at all - he trashed Reagan and launched into a negative "class warfare" diatribe (which is ironic, given that his campaign has been heavily predicated on "unity"). This was an opportunity for Obama to regain the trust of White Independents and he dropped the ball.

Obama's speech was good. What I can't reconcile is how someone that made that speech would support the rantings of someone like Wright. His rhetoric is only slightly more acceptable than that of white (or other) hate-mongors.

I don't see how he could compare disowning a preacher to whom he's not related to disowning the grandmother that helped raise him. It's pretty easy to walk out of a church and never return, but it's pretty difficult to turn one's back on family.

Between your posts saying Obama DIDN'T have a close relationship with his preacher, and H8Tanks posts saying that he DID have a close relationship with his preacher... you guys could probably argue this whole thing between yourselves via pm.

kthx

Between your posts saying Obama DIDN'T have a close relationship with his preacher

My point was that you're more or less stuck with family... especially family members that take an active role in raising you. Obama CHOSE to have a close relationship with Reverend Racism.

Edited by Bill Swerski

Disappointing speech.

I was really hoping Obama would make it to the general election. Just a matter of time till he is done.

Speech was scripted and read. Eye contact was poor. Did not sound like it came from the heart.

He did not part ways with the rev and if anything condoned his sermons by saying he was old school.

called the man family and compared him to mother figure that raised him. (grandma)

He blew it big time for the president nomination. I will hand it to him for not coming up with the big lie and told it how he is.

far far left liberal Democrat. This is the change he wants for America.

cut and run/raise taxes will be his ultimate demise in general if he somehow pulls this out. (Hillery is no prize so its still possible) .

Edited by moneymakers

Disappointing speech.

I was really hoping Obama would make it to the general election. Just a matter of time till he is done.

Speech was scripted and read. Eye contact was poor. Did not sound like it came from the heart.

He did not part ways with the rev and if anything condoned his sermons by saying he was old school.

called the man family and compared him to mother figure that raised him. (grandma)

He blew it big time for the president nomination. I will hand it to him for not coming up with the big lie and told it how he is.

cut and run/raise taxes will be his ultimate demise in general if he somehow pulls this out. (Hillery is no prize so its still possible) .

Bill Dance you are not.

I think he has a point in how we are only listening to a few snippets from thousands of hours of sermons, speeches and whatnot.

sure, the most offensive statements ("god dayum america", we had 9/11 coming, farrakhan is such a great guy, etc.) are a few snippets. but everything about the church itself (not just the pastor) is based on the whole separatist, black theology, black values, and so on, so that none of the most outrageous statements should be all that surprising. don't you have to wonder why someone who purports to be so vehemently in favor of racial unity would choose a church and a spiritual mentor with such a single-minded focus on racial disunity? in the chicago area there are probably hundreds if not thousands of christian churches, and i'm sure there are dozens with predominantly black congregations (if that's what he is looking for) that aren't all weighed down with the specifically racial theology, churches that preach oneness in christ that transcends superficial differences. i mean, you actually have to look pretty hard to find a church that doesn't treat race that way. but for 20 years, obama chose this racist church with a racist pastor. it's a little disconcerting.

Edited by Azazello1313

sure, the most offensive statements ("god dayum america", we had 9/11 coming, farrakhan is such a great guy, etc.) are a few snippets. but everything about the church itself (not just the pastor) is based on the whole separatist, black theology, black values, and so on, so that none of the most outrageous statements should be all that surprising. don't you have to wonder why someone who purports to be so vehemently in favor of racial unity would choose a church and a spiritual mentor with such a single-minded focus on racial disunity?

One also has to wonder why Obama didn't rebuke Wright yesterday, but publicly called for Imus to resign last year. :wacko:

in the chicago area there are probably hundreds if not thousands of christian churches, and i'm sure there are dozens with predominantly black congregations (if that's what he is looking for) that aren't all weighed down with the specifically racial theology, churches that preach oneness in christ that transcends superficial differences. i mean, you actually have to look pretty hard to find a church that doesn't treat race that way. but for 20 years, obama chose this racist church with a racist pastor. it's a little disconcerting.

People like Farrakhan, Jesse, and Al Sharpton use the racial "us against them" card for one reason and one reason only: Power. They exploit the poor and ignorant by telling them that they're being oppressed by a racist government/society for their own political gain. And while I do not even remotely put Obama in the same category as these three turds, it's pretty clear that he's exploited the race card to further his own political career on at least a couple of occasions. That alone doesn't make Obama a bad guy or anything, but it does make him a politician attempting to secure votes from a certain bloc. And it also contradicts his themes of "unity" and "change."

The church sells the DVD's, this was not something hidden.

Went to on line site while ago to post link and website for DVDs. changes being made as I type. (cover up always does most damage)

link to before and after website is on bottom of page.

Trinity United Church of Christ Makes Changes to Web Site

Disappointing speech.