[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Let's talk about hybrid vehicles

untateve

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never been to Zanesville or Columbus, but I imagine that Everett/Seattle is comparable to Chicago/Naperville.

Whatever, it's irrelevant.....

The federal info that MV posted acknowledges that external factors (including regional) greatly effect estimated MPG and I was trying to point out those factors I've experienced and how contradictory the EPA estimates were to my actual observed MPGs.

Here's an example, from the link I gave before.

The MPG for a 2008 Toyota Camry (Hybrid) is 33 for City and 34 for Hwy miles.

The MPG for a 2008 Toyota Camry (non-Hybrid) is 21 for City and 31 for Hwy miles. This is what you would normally expect from a non-hybrid vehicle in that City driving results in less fuel economy. But when you look at the hybrid, the city miles are much closer to the Hwy miles. That is because city driving results in more speed changes and starts and stops. Those starts and stops and speed changes is when the electric power is a better advantage to have.

I wasn't saying that it is only better in city driving, but it is definetly where you see the biggest increase in the MPG in a hybrid. The business I work at owns the very first Prius Hybrid ever purchased in the city. We now own two of them.

Edited by MikesVikes

As best I can tell hybrid civics for instance get around 42-42 while gas models get around 35-37. I believe that after you factor in the battery cost ( I hear 5 grandish) and the increased cost of upkeep because new,bigger tech is more likely to break, and the dealers only being able to service them, right now the gas models look a lot cheaper to me. I would love to have a hybrid for the nerd factor but right now they seem far too expensive to operate.

Maybe, based on the studies Puddy linked it appears I'll be making the money back in gas for my hybrid in October 2011. If the batteries go out before then, I have some really expensive sand bags in the back for winter traveling.

This was the first brand new vehicle we've ever bought and while we are paying $300+ on a car payment; We are also saving a minimum of $150 on gas a month instead by having the Jeep Cherokee as a 2nd vehicle (i.e...parked in the driveway cause I work from home).

Maybe, based on the studies Puddy linked it appears I'll be making the money back in gas for my hybrid in October 2011. If the batteries go out before then, I have some really expensive sand bags in the back for winter traveling.

This was the first brand new vehicle we've ever bought and while we are paying $300+ on a car payment; We are also saving a minimum of $150 on gas a month instead by having the Jeep Cherokee as a 2nd vehicle (i.e...parked in the driveway cause I work from home).

That sux. Do you happen to have gap coverage? Send a 16 year-old out with the vehicle and your problems will be over. :wacko:

Sandbags in the back will be of little help in a front wheel drive car. :wacko:

I don't know what gap coverage is, and I don't plan on sending a 16 year old out with a vehicle for another 10 years. :D

Gap coverage covers the difference between what you owe on a vehicle and what the vehicle is worth. So in the "unfortunate" case of when you get into an "accident" you don't have to make payments on a car you don't have anymore. :wacko:

Or if you really wanna piss off the oil industry you can reasonably convert your Prius into a plug-in...

The result is a car that gets 100mpg on the highway and 150mph in city driving for 50 miles after being plugged in. I think these figures are using the new, more accurate 2008 EPA testing that replaces the old one (with the new system, hybrids are more accurately measured at about 45mpg rather than the unrealistic 60).

According to the Hymotion FAQ on their website, the Hymotion battery will take about 5.5 hours to recharge at 120V or 4 hours at 240V. The battery being developed for Ford Escape takes longer. The recharge for the battery will cost about $1 with current electricity prices. This may drop depending on whether power companies give night discounts or EV incentives.

:wacko:

The only problem I see is that this will probably void your warranty.

Top ten most economic vehicles

I'm taking my wife to look at the Toyota Prius this weekend and trade in one of our gas hogs.

Do they have plug in versions with Lithium ion batteries? Those can get insane mileage.

"Next-Gen Prius to get lithium ion battery and 113 mpg

AutoExpress magazine in the UK has a report in this week's issue about the next generation Toyota Prius. They are reporting that the new Prius will be switching from nickel metal hydride batteries to lithium ion batteries that have greater capacity in an even smaller size. With the smaller package, interior room of the new car should be improved, especially in the back seat. The improved power output of the lithium batteries will allow the car to run on electrons-only more often in urban traffic.

According to the magazine, Toyota engineers are targeting a mileage rating of 113 mpg, with improved 0-60 mph acceleration of less than 10 seconds. The internal combustion part of the drive train is reported to be a new turbocharged 1.8L lean burn four cylinder. The car may even get factory plug-in capability when it goes on sale in 2009 and now that GM has announced their intention to offer a plug-in hybrid Saturn Vue, this one may be a certainty. The styling is also reported to be revamped, with a spy photo in the print version of the magazine. "