[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Car Problems

Footballjoe

1) Wednesday my wife fill the tank and drove 30 minutes to work. Not her normal gas station but I have gotten gas there many times with no problems.

2) 5 hours later the car would not start when she was ready to go home. It turned over with power. The battery is a year old.

3) Car was towed home and I tried to start it. Turned over but would not start.

4) Thursady I got up and bought some new plugs. Same as orginal. Car started right up. I checked it numerous times.

5) I also changes the air filter and cleaned the battery terminals while I was at it.

6) About 4 hours later my son took the car. He got 3 blocks away when the car died. It would turn over but would not start.

7) Went to try to start the car 3 different times during the day to no avail.

8) This morning at 6:45 I went to the car and it started on the first try. I drove like a mad man and got it home.

9) My mechanic is booked up until Monday and my backup is not available.

I am open to suggestions. Timing belt? Short in wiring? Fuel pump?

BTW, its red. :wacko:

Edited by Footballjoe

I read somewhere there was a recall on that model year, color "Red".

According to this: http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/recalls/recallsearch.cfm

The only recall on 2004 Sentras is on those with the 2.5L engine. Joe's car has a 1.8L engine.

Make / Models : Model/Build Years:

NISSAN / ALTIMA 2003-2004

NISSAN / SENTRA 2003-2004

Recall Number: 06V242000

Summary:

ON CERTAIN PASSENGER VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH A 2.5L ENGINE, A VARIATION IN TEMPERATURE OCCURS DUE TO THE UNIQUE LOCATION OF THE SENSOR IN THE ENGINE. UNDER CERTAIN DRIVING CONDITIONS, THESE VARIATIONS IN TEMPERATURE CAN BE LARGE ENOUGH TO CAUSE A BRIEF INTERRUPTION IN THE SIGNAL OUTPUT FROM THE SENSOR.

Consequence:

IF THE INTERRUPTION IN THE SIGNAL FROM THE SENSOR IS SO BRIEF THAT THE ELECTRONIC CONTROL MODULE (ECM) LOGIC DOES NOT HAVE TIME TO DIAGNOSE THE CONDITION, THE ENGINE MAY STOP RUNNING WITHOUT WARNING WHILE THE VEHICLE IS DRIVEN AT A LOW SPEED INCREASING THE RISK OF A CRASH.

Remedy:

DEALERS WILL REPROGRAM THE ECM FREE OF CHARGE. THE RECALL BEGAN ON AUGUST 21, 2006. OWNERS MAY CONTACT NISSAN AT 1-800-647-7261.

Notes:

NISSAN RECALL NO. R0606. CUSTOMERS CAN ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION¿S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV.

Edited by Big John

Do newer cars have starters? Sounds like that potentially. :wacko:

but then again why would it die? I take back my starter guess. Maybe the fuel filter, injector?

Edited by chiefjay

Do newer cars have starters? Sounds like that potentially. :D

but then again why would it die? I take back my starter guess. Maybe the fuel filter, injector?

I am sure its not the starter but you asking the question "do newer cars have startrers" made me think of this. When I went to get the plugs yesterday I asked for a distributor cap and rotor. Come to find out I do not have any. Each plug has its own coil. :wacko:

1) Wednesday my wife fill the tank and drove 30 minutes to work. Not her normal gas station but I have gotten gas there many times with no problems.

2) 5 hours later the car would not start when she was ready to go home. It turned over with power. The battery is a year old.

3) Car was towed home and I tried to start it. Turned over but would not start.

4) Thursady I got up and bought some new plugs. Same as orginal. Car started right up. I checked it numerous times.

5) I also changes the air filter and cleaned the battery terminals while I was at it.

6) About 4 hours later my son took the car. He got 3 blocks away when the car died. It would turn over but would not start.

7) Went to try to start the car 3 different times during the day to no avail.

8) This morning at 6:45 I went to the car and it started on the first try. I drove like a mad man and got it home.

I am open to suggestions. Timing belt? Short in wiring? Fuel pump?

BTW, its red. :wacko:

First thing I would need to know is whether you are missing spark or fuel.

It is not the timing belt or the car wouldnt start until you replaced it.

First thing I would need to know is whether you are missing spark or fuel.

It is not the timing belt or the car wouldnt start until you replaced it.

I will check it this wekend for spark / fuel.

With each plug having its own coil can I pull a plug like I use to in the past to see if it has spark or is there a different way to do it now?

I will check it this wekend for spark / fuel.

With each plug having its own coil can I pull a plug like I use to in the past to see if it has spark or is there a different way to do it now?

Yes. Unbolt the coil and pull it out. Pull the plug. Put the plug in the end of the coil and use a jump lead to ground the coil to the engine. Then crank the engine. You should have a very strong spark from the coil. Do not...... I repeat do not! Let the spark hit you! This isnt like the old points and condenser days. That spark can and will knock you on your ass!

Yes. Unbolt the coil and pull it out. Pull the plug. Put the plug in the end of the coil and use a jump lead to ground the coil to the engine. Then crank the engine. You should have a very strong spark from the coil. Do not...... I repeat do not! Let the spark hit you! This isnt like the old points and condenser days. That spark can and will knock you on your ass!

Will you get that shaky feeling? :wacko:

True story: About 20 yrs ago I was working in the Boiler / Plumbing Shop at my curent company. We had a pole outside the boiler room with a transformer on it. We kept seeing a couple of young boys hanging around the boiler room. After a while we asked them what they were doing. They said they are coming to get that "shaky feeling". What? That "shaky feeling, see when you touch the pole it make you shake" they said. :D Needless to say that was fixed asap.

Please record this process in case it needs to be posted on Youtube.

Break out the checkbook. . .

And the anal lube.

Mechanic--> :wacko: "could be one of several problems. . ."

You--> :D "*sigh*. . .go ahead. . .get it over with"

Footballjoe is just lucky he asked his question this Friday and not next.

I contemplated responding with....... Hell if I know i'm off on Fridays. Get back to me on Monday if you haven't figured it out. :wacko:

...maybe a fuel injector...? or fuel filter

Devil woman got it!

You almost assuredly have a piece of dirt in the fuel filter that is intermittently clogging the whole output side, fuel starving the car. That's why it will start some and run like a top, then shut off.

Devil woman got it!

You almost assuredly have a piece of dirt in the fuel filter that is intermittently clogging the whole output side, fuel starving the car. That's why it will start some and run like a top, then shut off.

If you dont mind I am going to disagree. :wacko:

I had an '03 Sentra Limited Edition (the one with the 2.5 L engine) and had a similar problem. The engine went out on me while driving on a busy highway in the middle of downtown Houston. By some act of God, I was able to get on an off-ramp, hit a green light at tne intersection, and coast into a convenience store parking lot (without power steering or power brakes). It turned out that the computer that controls the engine died and needed to be replaced. I have no idea if this is what is going on in your vehicle, but I was able to restart it after sitting in that parking lot for about 5 minutes... and the engine died again when I tried to leave the parking lot.

Thankfully this was only a lease and I was able to get rid of it, as the back window spontaneously shattered two months before the lease was up and the engine died (but restarted) the day that I returned it to the dealer. I'll never purchase a compact car from Nissan again.

Edited by Bill Swerski