[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

A Question for the Smokers

Grits and Shins

The company I work for does not allow smoking and has designated smoking areas outside away from the entrances/exits. I am not interested in generating a discussion about the merits or evils of smoking.

So every time I cut through the garage to get to the cafeteria there are scads of smokers having a cigarette directly in front of the "No Smoking" signs.

So do these guys think the sign is not intended for them ... but for other smokers? Do you think they are illeterate? Inconsiderate? Both? How about you ... do you ignore the no smoking areas? If you do why?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

they are drug addicts and are driven by the drug. Like any others substance abusers, they can often lose their ability to care for other because of their need for the substance. Personally I would walk up to the sign, rip it off, and hand it to one of them and walk away. I did this in college once. They stopped smoking there.

a bar i frequent has tuesdays as a non smoking day. sure enough some dip comes in puffing away. the bartend yells "HEY THERE'S NO SMOKING IN HERE TONIIGHT."

sure enough, every smoker looks shocked and takes a big drag before putting it out. what is it about "no smoking" that they dont understand.

i actually see whole venues of comedy skits that portray smokers in their selfish, rude behavior.

:wacko::D:D

a bar i frequent has tuesdays as a non smoking day. sure enough some dip comes in puffing away. the bartend yells "HEY THERE'S NO SMOKING IN HERE TONIIGHT."

sure enough, every smoker looks shocked and takes a big drag before putting it out. what is it about "no smoking" that they dont understand.

I think that's kind of rough. The place allows smoking 6 out of 7 days. It's reasonable for the person to not realize that they can't smoke all of a sudden. If they put it out and don't understand, that seems like a normal respose. (And, yes, I'm sure they have a sign indicating that it's a non-smoking day, but who reads signs when they go into a bar?)

Let me preface this by saying I am not a smoker. But do you people really think smokers are any more rude than any other group of people? People are a-holes. You get a group of them together that do the same thing and you have a group of a-holes.

I think Blitz is right. People (who aren't him) can be unbelievably rude, selfish, and inconsiderate.

:wacko:

I quit smoking years ago...I do have an occasional one when I am drinking or socializing but I have it under control.

Saying that, I dont care who smokes in front of me or wether or not people follow the no smoking sign rules. I am biased because I was a smoker but who cares. They are outdoors let them smoke. If your worried about lung cancer or health reason there are much worst pollutants in your air then the cig smoke.

I am AGAINST anyone smoking indoors!

Let me preface this by saying I am not a smoker. But do you people really think smokers are any more rude than any other group of people? People are a-holes. You get a group of them together that do the same thing and you have a group of a-holes.

I quit smoking years ago...I do have an occasional one when I am drinking or socializing but I have it under control.

Saying that, I dont care who smokes in front of me or wether or not people follow the no smoking sign rules. I am biased because I was a smoker but who cares. They are outdoors let them smoke. If your worried about lung cancer or health reason there are much worst pollutants in your air then the cig smoke.

I am AGAINST anyone smoking indoors!

So you guys are telling me that when a group of people gather together they are exempt from the rules? Or the rule can be ignored because the smoker has stepped outside ... nevermind the sign is posted specifically for that area? So I am to understand that the rule is not really a rule then ... unless a particular smoke choses to obey it? Or is it that the smokers are above the rules?

I think Blitz is right. People (who aren't him) can be unbelievably rude, selfish, and inconsiderate.

So aside from throwing mud at me ... you are saying you believe the smokers that smoke in front of the No Smoking signs are unbelievably rude, selfish and inconsiderate. Any idea why that might be?

People ignore signs all the time. They go over the speed limit, leave their cell phones on in theaters, people litter. For that matter what is the first rule to these fourms...

Member Conduct & Etiquette

Be respectful of ALL other posters. Personal attacks of any kind are not acceptable and will not be tolerated. Even if you disagree with someone's view, you should still show respect to that person. This is not a virtual schoolyard for fights and name-calling.

That rule seems to get ignored all the time.

People ignore signs all the time. They go over the speed limit, leave their cell phones on in theaters, people litter. For that matter what is the first rule to these fourms...

Be respectful of ALL other posters. Personal attacks of any kind are not acceptable and will not be tolerated. Even if you disagree with someone's view, you should still show respect to that person. This is not a virtual schoolyard for fights and name-calling.

wow, blitz just got pwn3d, very subtly but effectively.

So then you are arguing that since everybody does it ... it is okay.

If I drive over the speed limit I risk getting pulled over and paying a hefty fine.

If I leave my cell phone on in the theater I risk being ejected from the movie theater before the end of the movie.

If I litter I risk getting fined.

If I am disrespectful in here I risk getting banned.

There are potential consequences for each of those rules violations. Perhaps we have hit on it ... smokers disregard the No Smoking signs for a variety of reason that may include being rude, inconsiderate, illeterate, above the rules, safe in a group of people breaking the same rule, and they are outside afterall where rules don't have to be followed ... but in the end they do it because there are no negative consequences for their actions.

As a smoker, I agree with Blitz's take on not following the rules of puffing away in a desiganted area. The company has designated this area so no employees (or worse, visitors) have to walk thru a cloud of smoke to enter the building. Fair enough, and it should be easy to follow. If the smokers are too lazy to walk the extra distance, shame on them. They have chosen to partake in this habit, and should be grateful the company allows them 5-10 minutes breaks every hour to enjoy it.

If I were you, I'd casually mention to your owner or HR folks that the problem exists, and that it should be enforced. Its not your job to enfoce the rule, but you are not out of line for making those who might be unaware that a company policy is blatantly being abused.

But just so you can look yourself in the mirror, are there rules that you chose not to follow? Do you always obey they speed limit, or do you sometimes drive faster than the posted limit, potentially putting other drivers at risk for your own convenience? Do you come to a complete stop at a stop sign every time, or do you sometimes "coast" thru if you can see there is no traffic coming?

Sometimes, people complain about some rules, while disobeying others for their own selfishness.

edit: i see the idea of traffic rudeness was brought up when i was posting. i don't think smokers are rude...but i think the nail was hit when blitz said there is little consequence at this point to their action. you don't see smokers smoking on planes anymore, since they will get a huge fine. if your company chooses not to enforce this rule, or deem it unimportant enough to enforce, who's really to blame?

Edited by i_am_the_swammi

wow, blitz just got pwn3d, very subtly but effectively.

Feel free to link to all of my posts that you find to be so offensive and dis-respectful. I suppose this is where you will find so many of the posts where I have "ignored" somebody. If that is your definition of dis-respectful or offensive then your constitution is too fragile.

Guest Chappy

I think there's several reasons why people make the bad decisions they make.

#1- It's like anything else, when new rules are created/posted people adhere to them more often then not. However, as the newness wears off and people aren't held to the letter of the law/accountable, people get too comfortable, lazy, etc. and ignore the rules. So in this case you have people smoking where "No Smoking" signs are posted. Not saying it's right but it's no different then when someone blows a red light or makes a right on red when there's a sign in clear view that says "No right on red", or a u-turn when there's a "no U-turn" sign posted.

#2 - How about (and I've done this countless times) the parents who stroll onto the escalator pushing a stroller with a child or two in it instead of using the elevator like the sign before they got on stated. Because it's just a matter of convenience.

#3 - Sometimes it's not even a matter of getting too comfortable, lazy or convenient, it's a matter of trying to beat the system to see what you can get a way with. You walk down the candy aisle in your local Supermarket and they have all those plastic containers with different candies that you can bag and buy by the 1/4 lb. How many of you just took a little sampling even though there's a sign right next to you that states "No Sampling"?

#4 - Then we have the people who are just inquisitive and wonder what will happen if they don't listen. Sort of like when you were a kid and your parents told you not to touch the stove cause it's hot and you just had to see for yourself. There are countless other examples of dumb things I/we probably did when we were kids being inquisitive that we were warned not to do. It's just human nature.

The list goes on and on. Add to the fact that smoking is an addiction and the opportunities of breaking the rules/posted signs for whatever reason, increase dramatically.

+1, there is power in numbers.

I used to smoke 2 packs a day (20 years ago :D ) and we are the WORST type of non-smokers. Smoke now seems to bother me MORE than others and you would think I would be more accustomed to it. I have seen some VERY "holier than thou" non-smokers and this can only add fuel to the fire. Try living in Mexico or another country that has not limited cigarette smoking in any way. We ask our relatives to not smoke in our house in Mexico and many of them thought we joking at first. It took them about three years to realize that we were serious!

I think that the real basis for their actions (we have the same issue where I work) is that they already feel inconvenienced by the pure fact that they can't light up wherever they want. It is their "right" to smoke and it is not against the law. Being sent off to a special area where they feel chastised really pisses off some smokers. They are addicts to the drug and it effects their rationality regarding their smoking (to this day, 20 years later, after a really good/big meal, a little voice goes off in my head that says, "Time for a cigarette"). What smokers tend to omit in the thought process is that THEY are the ones changing the immediate environment. They are adding their smoke to the space that makes non-smokers uncomfortable. They don't register it because it doesn't bother them.

Maybe you can try the angle with tobacco, clove and Josh Gordon smokers that it is "bad" for the environment and not a "green" practice since smoking emits carbon dioxide and Nitrogen Oxides (greenhouse gases) and they can reduce their carbon footprint by giving up smoking their plant of choice!

IPCC list of greenhouse gases

The following table is a partial list of the substances in cigarette smoke (including CO2 and Nitrogen Oxides listed in above link)

Energy and carbon dioxide emissions (Cigarette Manufacturing is a HUGE CO2 producer)

:wacko:

I think that the real basis for their actions (we have the same issue where I work) is that they already feel inconvenienced by the pure fact that they can't light up wherever they want. It is their "right" to smoke and it is not against the law. Being sent off to a special area where they feel chastised really pisses off some smokers. They are addicts to the drug and it effects their rationality regarding their smoking (to this day, 20 years later, after a really good/big meal, a little voice goes off in my head that says, "Time for a cigarette"). What smokers tend to omit in the thought process is that THEY are the ones changing the immediate environment. They are adding their smoke to the space that makes non-smokers uncomfortable. They don't register it because it doesn't bother them.

This is probably the closest to the truth.

So you guys are telling me that when a group of people gather together they are exempt from the rules? Or the rule can be ignored because the smoker has stepped outside ... nevermind the sign is posted specifically for that area? So I am to understand that the rule is not really a rule then ... unless a particular smoke choses to obey it? Or is it that the smokers are above the rules?

I am not saying any of that. I am saying who really cares. Its a silly rule..like J walking. Have you ever J Walked before? Are you above the rules? Have you ever thrown out a little piece of trash out of your car? Are you above the rules?

I am sure you break some rules that annoy others. I just say get over it.

Not attacking you in anyway just stating my point and my point alone. I do stuff that annoys other people and others do stuff that annoy me.

So then you are arguing that since everybody does it ... it is okay.

If I drive over the speed limit I risk getting pulled over and paying a hefty fine.

If I leave my cell phone on in the theater I risk being ejected from the movie theater before the end of the movie.

If I litter I risk getting fined.

If I am disrespectful in here I risk getting banned.

There are potential consequences for each of those rules violations. Perhaps we have hit on it ... smokers disregard the No Smoking signs for a variety of reason that may include being rude, inconsiderate, illeterate, above the rules, safe in a group of people breaking the same rule, and they are outside afterall where rules don't have to be followed ... but in the end they do it because there are no negative consequences for their actions.

When I smoked, I nearly always made my way to the designated smoking area. Many airports have these areas - fair enough not to allow smoking right in front of the terminal doors. However, when the smoking area has been placed a mile away, usually because the airport manager is one of the anti-smoking fanatics, smokers will light up in the first place where they aren't being a nuisance to others, in my experience. It's exactly the same principle as drivers ignoring speed limits that are set ridiculously low.

I am not saying any of that. I am saying who really cares. Its a silly rule..like J walking. Have you ever J Walked before? Are you above the rules? Have you ever thrown out a little piece of trash out of your car? Are you above the rules?

I am sure you break some rules that annoy others. I just say get over it.

Not attacking you in anyway just stating my point and my point alone. I do stuff that annoys other people and others do stuff that annoy me.

So you are aguing since everybody breaks rules it is okay. If that is your argument do you believe we should have ANY rules at all? I mean if everybody gets to choose which rules they wish to obey then in essence you have no rules.

So you are aguing since everybody breaks rules it is okay. If that is your argument do you believe we should have ANY rules at all? I mean if everybody gets to choose which rules they wish to obey then in essence you have no rules.

He already asked you if you do rolling stops at stop signs, go over the speed limit when it suits you.......do you? If you do, you answered your own question. Just because the breaking of this particular rule pisses YOU off doesn't give you a free pass on all the other day to day rules you likely flout without a second thought.