[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

What are gas prices where you live?

Randall

• Replies 806
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not a self professed expert like you on this issue, but I don't always see a close correlation between the price of a barrel of crude oil and a gallon of gas at the pumps. I think a lot of manipulation is going on where somebody is making a killing off working the system in much the same way people did off the real estate bubble.

I'm for short term increased oil production at home as long as the benefits of those contracts stay here and not go overseas. Long term however the fed gov should absolutely be subsidizing the drive to develop better energy alternatives. We have an opportunity to be a leader in that area and regain some serious mojo in the world trade arena.

Never claimed to be an expert but the price is the price. As much as I would like to see lower prices the simple fact is we are not an isolationist society.

The Fed government needs to be out the business of subsidizing. They cannot dictate effectively the market trends of the world. We could go on for hours about ethanol, wind, or solar and the government propping up industry. It simply does not change the facts on the ground. A bunch of clowns in Washington trying to find a business then throwing money at said business like Solyndra as an example is foolish as they possess no real knowledge. What I do know is if an idea is sound enough then investment capital will be lining up. Claiming our investment as a Nation would create 5,000,000 million jobs goes to show this is an agenda driven program not based in fact. Why, see below.

The opportunity as leader is nonsensical. When someone develops the I phone of energy it will sell. The problem today is people don't understand that the I Phone is actually oil.

No doubt some manipulation goes on but our energy costs are much lower than several places on the planet but regardless, demand/supply always ultimately control costs. We do not control the rate because we do not control the supply, in fact our government reduces our ability to increase supply and reduces our ability to increase supply stability as evidenced by our friends to the North. If you want to really speak about manipulation then look at the cartels as they control production given countries like ours will not invest in increasing supply.

I hate paying high prices as much as anyone, I also hate we are so dependent on the supply side. This has been going for decades, the first President I remember sounding the alarm bells as it relates to dependence was Regan but it probably goes back before his time.

Bottom line, everyone is looking for better energy but it is obvious the technology is decades away, we foolishly invest in these areas at the expense of known solutions. Unfortunately the either or ideology is our problem.

BTW, if the Administration wants to lower prices they can open the oil reserves and slow purchasing for a period of time. This will drop the barrel price short term and gas prices will fall.

Never claimed to be an expert but the price is the price. As much as I would like to see lower prices the simple fact is we are not an isolationist society.

The Fed government needs to be out the business of subsidizing. They cannot dictate effectively the market trends of the world. We could go on for hours about ethanol, wind, or solar and the government propping up industry. It simply does not change the facts on the ground. A bunch of clowns in Washington trying to find a business then throwing money at said business like Solyndra as an example is foolish as they possess no real knowledge. What I do know is if an idea is sound enough then investment capital will be lining up. Claiming our investment as a Nation would create 5,000,000 million jobs goes to show this is an agenda driven program not based in fact. Why, see below.

The opportunity as leader is nonsensical. When someone develops the I phone of energy it will sell. The problem today is people don't understand that the I Phone is actually oil.

No doubt some manipulation goes on but our energy costs are much lower than several places on the planet but regardless, demand/supply always ultimately control costs. We do not control the rate because we do not control the supply, in fact our government reduces our ability to increase supply and reduces our ability to increase supply stability as evidenced by our friends to the North. If you want to really speak about manipulation then look at the cartels as they control production given countries like ours will not invest in increasing supply.

I hate paying high prices as much as anyone, I also hate we are so dependent on the supply side. This has been going for decades, the first President I remember sounding the alarm bells as it relates to dependence was Regan but it probably goes back before his time.

Bottom line, everyone is looking for better energy but it is obvious the technology is decades away, we foolishly invest in these areas at the expense of known solutions. Unfortunately the either or ideology is our problem.

BTW, if the Administration wants to lower prices they can open the oil reserves and slow purchasing for a period of time. This will drop the barrel price short term and gas prices will fall.

ice2

ice3

ok, according to the BTS stats, total domestic petroleum production in 2010 7.55 million barrels per day. total exports were 2.35 million barrels per day, imports were 11.79 million barrels per day. net imports, 9.44 million barrels per day. total US consumption of 19.18 million barrels per day.

to be a net petroleum exporter, we would have to reduce our consumption by a helluva lot more than 5%. :wacko:

we'd literally have to cut consumption by 20% AND double domestic production at the same time. THEN we'd be a net exporter. in the meantime we're nowhere close.

edit to add: maybe the stat you heard was with respect to refined product? I know we refine a lot, possibly even more than we use.

Edited by Azazello1313

ok, according to the BTS stats, total domestic petroleum production in 2010 7.55 million barrels per day. total exports were 2.35 million barrels per day, imports were 11.79 million barrels per day. net imports, 9.44 million barrels per day. total US consumption of 19.18 million barrels per day.

to be a net petroleum exporter, we would have to reduce our consumption by a helluva lot more than 5%. :wacko:

we'd literally have to cut consumption by 20% AND double domestic production at the same time. THEN we'd be a net exporter. in the meantime we're nowhere close.

Typikal Az.

I said two things:

1. US gas consumption is down. It is, and you don't dispute that.

2. the US is currently exporting more refined gasoline that it used to. It is. The US is currently exporting triple the amount of gasoline that is was this time last year.

I'm not sure what you're trying to debate, but it doesn't' appear to be isn't anything I've said. Perhaps you're confusing me with someone else who took the position that we're a net petroleum exporter.

No. But they are the excuse for this.

Remember - US gas consumption has gone down to the point where we're currently exporting gasoline. Current higher gas prices aren't being driven by supply and demand as much as fear-based speculation in the oil futures market.

Agreed. This oil speculation has to stop. I know Obama paid some lip service about it last year with his task force, but I've not seen where anything much has really been done about it or any offering real solutions, which is becoming evident as we speak, as gas prices rise along with just tension, not even conflict. That's where it seems oil futures are well at play (see article below).

Oil is too vital and consequential to our economy (and also far too easily influenced by mideast affairs) for it to be driven up by just speculation of threats and conflict in countries we don't even get our oil from (see just Libya and another mideast tensions in the last year or two that drove them up, but far from the only ones).

To be honest, it's way over my head how it all works though, so I'll leave it to anyone else if they want to dispute this claim from this very good article, IMO.

As a result of speculation among these and other major players, an estimated 60 percent of the price of oil per barrel was added; a $100 barrel of oil, in reality, should cost $40 [source: Engdahl]. And despite having an agency created to prevent just such speculative price inflation, by the time oil prices skyrocketed, the government had made a paper tiger out of it.
Edited by delusions of granduer

Oh dear. Poor Ice1. :tup:

I get how useful idiots think this small increase in production is a reason to tout this Presidents achievement even though anyone who has a rudimentary understanding would already know the production increases were a direct result of the last Administration's policies.

You guys act like you understand but in reality haven't a clue. Imagine the royalties the USA would receive if we really opened production on Federal Land. Oh wait you wouldn't understand that the offset may come close to your hero's ridiculous debt spending habits. BTW, our production increases are coming from private land.

Way to go graph boys.....FAIL.

Obviously if you think production increases are a good thing then be sure and vote Obama out of office this November.

George Bush thanks you for the graph. Thanks for playing. Sorry to burst your ignorance is bliss bubble. :wacko:

Honestly, you two should spend a bit more studying up on the industry so you don't look so weak on the topic. Maybe this link will help you.

WSJ

Edited by Ice1

I get how useful idiots think this small increase in production is a reason to tout this Presidents achievement even though anyone who has a rudimentary understanding would already know the production increases were a direct result of the last Administration's policies.

You guys act like you understand but in reality haven't a clue. Imagine the royalties the USA would receive if we really opened production on Federal Land. Oh wait you wouldn't understand that the offset may come close to your hero's ridiculous debt spending habits. BTW, our production increases are coming from private land.

Obviously if you think production increases are a good thing then be sure and vote Obama out of office this November.

George Bush thanks you for the graph. Thanks for playing. Sorry to burst your ignorance is bliss bubble. :wacko:

Honestly, you two should spend a bit more studying up on the industry so you don't look so weak on the topic. Maybe this link will help you.

WSJ

:tup::lol::rofl:

QUOTE (Ice1 @ 2/24/12 11:03pm)

George Bush thanks you for the graph. Thanks for playing. Sorry to burst your ignorance is bliss bubble. rolleyes.gif

WSJ

laughing.giflaughing.giflaughing.gif

:wacko:

What the Oprah is wrong with you? Are you smoking the inevitable 420 prop?

:tup:

Due to the confusion of the new forum, I thought this post was from Ursa. It kinda made my head spin...really cheap high if you ask me :lol:....then I read the Ice stuff....I get it now. Still a good yoker poker.

Edited by tazinib1

QUOTE (Scooby's Hubby @ 2/23/12 2:05pm)

Tired of high gasoline prices? Then find a car that runs on natural gas. But first, you will have to find a refueling station and an auto maker who builds one. Congress, what is the hold up?, help is needed from you to create incentives for this. Our nation has an overwhelming abundance of natural gas. Jobs would be created by the 100 of thousands. It is a win win for all of us.

I don't get why it's Congress' job to create natural gas cars. If there is a market, as there is for in-town propane buses, why isn't it being filled by business?

Congress could simply make incentives. For example, tax breaks to those who buy the nat gas cars, tax breaks to those who build them or build stations, etc. With tax breaks, Congress would not have to pay any money, rather allow those who want to buy more fuel efficient vehicles to pay less or give incentives to those who build stations or build the cars. When more are made then more can be bought, or when there is more access to the fuel stations then more would be bought.

• 5 months later...