[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

American Idol

Menudo

:D Except for that pesky David vs. Goliath one, eh? :wacko:

Exactly.

Keyword: should.

I don't know if I want Cook to win it. He's been "my boy" since his audition and he most certainly deserves it, but do I want him locked into a Clive Davis recording deal? If I were him, winning would be awesome... but I'd actually be hoping to come in second. Will he tank it come Tuesday night? No way, but part of me hopes the bubblegummers text their little fingers off for Archuleta (who'll be nothing better than that little gay elf Clay Aiken, as someone mentioned earlier).

Should be an interesting finale, and I'm looking forward to Cook's CD and tour. I'm still a hugh Daughtry fan and think Cook can have similar success.

i am pretty sure i read that Clive Davis was shown the door....let me try and find a link

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Clive Ousted

this is from 4/14 and not the article that i read....the one I read pretty much summed this up as a power play move by Weiss so I am not sure exactly how much real input Clive actually has with his new "title"

not sure if IDOL will remain one of his handful of acts.

Clive Davis' swan song

As SonyBMG tries to adapt to the digital era, it jettisons an icon of the old days.

By Devin Leonard, senior writer

(Fortune) -- Until this week, the rules of the music industry didn't apply to Clive Davis. At 76, Davis held the top job at SonyBMG's BMG Music Group, playing Svengali to teen idols like Kelly Clarkson and Alicia Keys. The legendary record man acted as if he'd be in charge forever, thanks to his uncanny ear for a gold record, to say nothing of his genius for self-promotion and his corporate survival skills.

On Thursday, however, SonyBMG removed Davis from his post. He will now hold the amorphous title of "chief creative officer" at the company, and while still working with a handful of acts. But the BMG Music Group will now be overseen by Barry Weiss, CEO of SonyBMG's Zomba label, who is younger -- and presumably less expensive than his predecessor.

Why did Davis and two of his longtime deputies Charles Goldstuck and Tim Bowen have to step aside? No matter how hard they try, SonyBMG and its major label peers -- Warner Music Group (WMG), Universal Music Group and EMI -- haven't been able to fix the structural problems afflicting their business. CD sales continue to decline. Meanwhile, record companies can't move enough digital music to make up the difference.

All they know is they can't cling to the old ways. With the passing of Atlantic Records founder Ahmet Ertegun, nobody embodies the past more than Davis. His career stretches back to the sixties, when as president of Columbia Records, Davis signed acts like Janis Joplin and convinced jazz great Miles Davis to plug in and start the fusion era.

But the music industry has changed dramatically. Davis has a reputation for spending heavily on traditional marketing to sell records. Now labels can break acts much more cheaply on the Internet. A lawyer by training, Davis also negotiated famously rich contracts for himself as so many old-school record guys used to do. As long as Davis held one of the top spots at SonyBMG, it was hard for his employer to say convincingly that it was trying to reduce costs and adapt to the new industry's harsh new realities.

Part of the reason for Davis' longevity was his Rasputin-like ability to claw his way back from the abyss. Fired form Columbia in the seventies, he founded Arista Records. There, he turned Barry Manilow and Whitney Houston into stars. This was Davis's first comeback.

The second came after he sold Arista to Bertelsmann. The German media company ended up showing Davis the door in 2000. But the legendary record man enlisted the support of friends like Houston and Carlos Santana. They kicked up such a ruckus that his former German bosses put up half the money for Davis' next venture, J Records. In 2002, Bertelsmann reversed itself. It bought J Records and welcomed Davis back as the new head of the RCA Music Group, now part of SonyBMG, a joint venture run by Sony and the German media group.

Davis became almost as much of a celebrity as his acts. He hosted a glitzy Grammy Award party every year where he unveiled his latest musical discovery. He was famously took credit in interviews for his successes -- and sometimes those of others. The joke among his industry peers is that the former BMG Music Group chief thinks the CD was named in his honor. None of this would matter a wit if Davis couldn't pick a top 40 hit.

Even at 76, he still has his touch. His protégé Alicia Keys' latest album has sold 3.4 million, according to Nielsen SoundScan. That's wondrous given that some of the industry's biggest names are struggling to convince fans to buy their records instead of downloading them illegally. Surely, SonyBMG would like to have more old-school stars like Keys. There aren't many left. But apparently, the company doesn't feel it can afford star executives anymore.

Syesha would have won this thing in previous years (Reuben, Fantasia, Taylor, and maybe even last year), but, she will probably go home tonight.

Cook vs. Archuletta: I don't dislike Archuletta like many seem to, but, he doesn't deserve to win. He can sing, but, he doesn't bring the creativity and showmanship to the table like Cook does. I think all three of the remaining singers will have solid careers. Syesha as an actress or on Broadway, Archuletta as a recording artist (don't think he can put on much of a live show though), and Cook fronting a band. Overall, I think this was a good season with some solid talent. :wacko:

Syesha would have won this thing in previous years (Reuben, Fantasia, Taylor, and maybe even last year), but, she will probably go home tonight.

Cook vs. Archuletta: I don't dislike Archuletta like many seem to, but, he doesn't deserve to win. He can sing, but, he doesn't bring the creativity and showmanship to the table like Cook does. I think all three of the remaining singers will have solid careers. Syesha as an actress or on Broadway, Archuletta as a recording artist (don't think he can put on much of a live show though), and Cook fronting a band. Overall, I think this was a good season with some solid talent. :wacko:

while i am far from a fan of Fantasia she is far and away a MUUUUUCCCCCHHHHH better singer/artist then Syesha is or ever will be.

My biggest problem with the "gaspy" archuletta is that the judges in the past crucify contestants on being safe and forgetting their lyrics...

"Gaspy" has continued to play it safe pretty much all season.....and last nite was at least the 3rd time he F'd up the lyrics....but he seems to be the teflon boy to the judges...I think it ends up D vs D but what I am really waiting to see is what and how DC performs what we know has to be a sappy song that a winner submitted in their contest.

Dial Idol has DC in first place over 10pts better then "gaspy" and then "gaspy" has a little better then a 6 point lead over syesha

Edited by keggerz

while i am far from a fan of Fantasia she is far and away a MUUUUUCCCCCHHHHH better singer/artist then Syesha is or ever will be.

My biggest problem with the "gaspy" archuletta is that the judges in the past crucify contestants on being safe and forgetting their lyrics...

"Gaspy" has continued to play it safe pretty much all season.....and last nite was at least the 3rd time he F'd up the lyrics....but he seems to be the teflon boy to the judges...I think it ends up D vs D but what I am really waiting to see is what and how DC performs what we know has to be a sappy song that a winner submitted in their contest.

Dial Idol has DC in first place over 10pts better then "gaspy" and then "gaspy" has a little better then a 6 point lead over syesha

We'll have to agree to disagree on Fantasia vs. Syesha. I think that Syesha has come on strong and will be far more successful than Fantasia has been.

Fantasia sang like a strangled duck. I never saw what others saw in her. Syesha is a perfect fit for Broadway. She can sing everything the exact way it was supposed to be sung. She has a great voice, just not much creativity or uniqueness.

We'll have to agree to disagree on Fantasia vs. Syesha. I think that Syesha has come on strong and will be far more successful than Fantasia has been.

First I want to again state that I am NOT a fan of Fantasia...but with that said.....Syesha is going to have a long road to hoe to be FAR MORE SUCCESSFUL then Fantasia has been:

Wiki

Fantasia, is a multiple Grammy Award-nominated R&B/soul singer and award-winning Broadway actress

Her first album, Free Yourself, was certified platinum and received four Grammy nominations. Her second album, Fantasia, was certified gold, received three Grammy nominations and featured the 8-week #1 Billboard Hot R&B hit "When I See U." Following a critically acclaimed run on Broadway as Celie in the musical, The Color Purple, Fantasia was cast to star in the movie version of the musical, which is slated to begin production in 2009

In June 2004, Fantasia released her debut single, "I Believe", which later debuted at number-one on the Billboard Hot 100. This number-one debut made Fantasia the first artist in history to achieve this with a first single. On the sales chart, the single spent eleven consecutive weeks at number one, giving it the longest consecutive stay on top of that chart for an American Idol contestant.

The singles "Truth Is" and "Free Yourself" became R&B hits, reaching number two and number three respectively on the Billboard R&B/Hip-Hop Tracks chart, while the controversial "Baby Mama" – which critics accused of romanticizing single motherhood[7] – reached the top twenty. Barrino did even better on the Billboard Adult R&B Airplay, where she was the first artist of any kind to simultaneously have two of the top three songs,[8] and "Truth Is" spent fourteen weeks at the number one position. Barrino was named the number-one artist of the Adult Urban Contemporary format for 2005 according to the December 13, 2005 Billboard Magazine.

AGAIN, I am far from a fan of hers but if you think Syesha is going to be FAR MORE successful then she probably would need to get started by winning IDOL

edit: i bet that there are MANY artists would like to achieve what Fantasia has in her very short career.

Edited by keggerz

Guest Chappy
Post who they vote off so I don't have to watch it tonight please.

Syesha's gone. By the way, is Archuleta wearing a Member's Only jacket tonight?

First I want to again state that I am NOT a fan of Fantasia...but with that said.....Syesha is going to have a long road to hoe to be FAR MORE SUCCESSFUL then Fantasia has been:

Wiki

Fantasia, is a multiple Grammy Award-nominated R&B/soul singer and award-winning Broadway actress

Her first album, Free Yourself, was certified platinum and received four Grammy nominations. Her second album, Fantasia, was certified gold, received three Grammy nominations and featured the 8-week #1 Billboard Hot R&B hit "When I See U." Following a critically acclaimed run on Broadway as Celie in the musical, The Color Purple, Fantasia was cast to star in the movie version of the musical, which is slated to begin production in 2009

In June 2004, Fantasia released her debut single, "I Believe", which later debuted at number-one on the Billboard Hot 100. This number-one debut made Fantasia the first artist in history to achieve this with a first single. On the sales chart, the single spent eleven consecutive weeks at number one, giving it the longest consecutive stay on top of that chart for an American Idol contestant.

The singles "Truth Is" and "Free Yourself" became R&B hits, reaching number two and number three respectively on the Billboard R&B/Hip-Hop Tracks chart, while the controversial "Baby Mama" – which critics accused of romanticizing single motherhood[7] – reached the top twenty. Barrino did even better on the Billboard Adult R&B Airplay, where she was the first artist of any kind to simultaneously have two of the top three songs,[8] and "Truth Is" spent fourteen weeks at the number one position. Barrino was named the number-one artist of the Adult Urban Contemporary format for 2005 according to the December 13, 2005 Billboard Magazine.

AGAIN, I am far from a fan of hers but if you think Syesha is going to be FAR MORE successful then she probably would need to get started by winning IDOL

edit: i bet that there are MANY artists would like to achieve what Fantasia has in her very short career.

Keggerz = Fantasia Lover :D

Wow, those numbers look impressive, but, I've got to say, she sure has accomplished them quietly. I've heard that she was doing Broadway, and I saw her on some American Idol episodes, but, other than that, I've seen nothing from her. Maybe I'm living in an alternate universe or something. :wacko:

syesha got voted off....my that was horrible was about whatever that was that Fantasia did on stage

David vs David

O.k. I just watched Fantasia's performance last night...

Given the chance to watch or listen to Fantasia or Syesha is an EASIER choice than I originally thought. In fact, I would pay good money to make sure that I saw or heard Syesha over Fantasia...... :wacko:

syesha got voted off....my that was horrible was about whatever that was that Fantasia did on stage

David vs David

I never seen that and was used this many times in a sentence before. Is that even a sentence?

Far more entertaining was the performance by season 3 champ (and Syesha Mercado heroine) Fantasia, now sporting strangely Nikki McKibbin-ish pink hair. Now this here was a real American idol, people. Fantasia (my favorite all-time Idol winner, for those keeping track at home) just killed it. There wasn't a single performance this entire season, by ANY of the contestants, that came even close to being as funky and fiery and fresh and just plain old FUN as Fantasia's performance tonight. Come to think of it, there's never been a single performance in any season, by ANY contestant, that's come as close to the greatness of Fantasia's "Summertime" performance back in season 3, so it makes sense that when she returned to the stage four years later, Fanny pretty much wiped the floor with Syesha and the Davids. It was so amazing, even Simon Cowell was rendered speechless. I'm not sure if that's a good thing, but since Simon's motto is usually, "If you don't have anything nice to say, say it loudly," I'll interpret his uncharacteristic silence as high praise.

ok, am I missing something? Is this person joking?