[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Moving to Connecticut on Friday

Sturphy

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My condolences.

My thoughts exactly.

The first and most important question though, which side of the river?

My first and most important piece of advice, move.

Any advice for a first time New Englander?

If you start to annoy the f outta someone and they want to simply stop dealing with your crazy ass, then it's now your job to hunt them down, rape their livestock and burn their plantation.

Lots of "sorry" sentiments, what is the basis? I'm just asking.

Both Ms Cid and I grew up in CT. Wouldn't live there again on a bet. Just driving back there is hell. I-95 You can always tell when you've gotten to the CT border, it's where the traffic jam starts. Merrit Parkway is no better. High gas and sin taxes. A corrupt Governor for years (they finally got rid of him a couple of years back) that left the state's economy in the crapper. The west side is far more affluent than the east side but don't ever try and keep up with the Jones' because there's always a lot more money just one town over. Check out Greenwich or Ridgefield or Litchfield sometime. Those towns that aren't the refuge for those working in Manhattan are textile towns that still haven't recovered from when the mills closed down(re:Waterbury).

Both Ms Cid and I grew up in CT. Wouldn't live there again on a bet. Just driving back there is hell. I-95 You can always tell when you've gotten to the CT border, it's where the traffic jam starts. Merrit Parkway is no better. High gas and sin taxes. A corrupt Governor for years (they finally got rid of him a couple of years back) that left the state's economy in the crapper. The west side is far more affluent than the east side but don't ever try and keep up with the Jones' because there's always a lot more money just one town over. Check out Greenwich or Ridgefield or Litchfield sometime. Those towns that aren't the refuge for those working in Manhattan are textile towns that still haven't recovered from when the mills closed down(re:Waterbury).

Thanks for the input Cid. It did make me chuckle to learn about the package stores and no beer sales after 8 or 9PM. I was out there two weekends ago and learned a lot.

I'll be in the Avon / Farmington / West Hartford area.

:wacko: @ the traffic after 10 years in L.A. I'll take it. That stuff is relative.

Thanks for the input Cid. It did make me chuckle to learn about the package stores and no beer sales after 8 or 9PM. I was out there two weekends ago and learned a lot.

:wacko: @ the traffic after 10 years in L.A. I'll take it. That stuff is relative.

I lived in W. Hartford for about 6 years and would again if ever forced to move back there. I lived near Prospect St., which is the ghetto of WH. Given the choice, I would live close to Elizabeth Park, it is a really nice spot. Where are you working? Traffic downtown sucks. However, going from downtown out is much better than the other way around.

Sturphy - I used to live in West Hartford also. It was a few years ago but feel free to PM and ask any questions. West Hartford is prob the best place to live in that area.

I would never move back to CT but make the best out of it.

Hit a bar called Sliders - best wings I have ever had and a decent sports bar - there is one is Bristol and one in Plainfield I believe - if you like HOT food try the hottest of the wings - I did on a Packer sunday and still felt my heart pumping on Wednesday.

There are some nice golf courses so if you like to golf feel free to ask for advice.

I lived in W. Hartford for about 6 years and would again if ever forced to move back there. I lived near Prospect St., which is the ghetto of WH. Given the choice, I would live close to Elizabeth Park, it is a really nice spot. Where are you working? Traffic downtown sucks. However, going from downtown out is much better than the other way around.

I'll check out Elizabeth Park area.

I won't be commuting into Hartford, so I'll be missing that traffic.

Thanks jetsfan! :wacko:

Sturphy - I used to live in West Hartford also. It was a few years ago but feel free to PM and ask any questions. West Hartford is prob the best place to live in that area.

Hit a bar called Sliders - best wings I have ever had and a decent sports bar - there is one is Bristol and one in Plainfield I believe - if you like HOT food try the hottest of the wings - I did on a Packer sunday and still felt my heart pumping on Wednesday.

There are some nice golf courses so if you like to golf feel free to ask for advice.

That's gotta be Plainville. Plainfield is on the Rhode Island border and is a complete chit hole.

Yeah, I didn't even want to start on the blue laws. Not the worst of areas but these are words I cannot stress enough. If he or she is not a State Trooper, he or she is a SMALL TOWN COP with all of the negative connotation intended. Even the Hartford cops are like that; big city problems but small town minds.

I also grew up in CT. I was south of Hartford, but spent a lot of time in West Hartford. It's nice. Weird that million dollar houses are literally a few streets from a bad neighborhood over there. I spent a lot of time at the Tap Room and the Half Door. I wonder if they are still there?

Avon and Farmington are nice too. Good golf courses.

Don't let everyone get you down. CT is a nice place. Unta only goes to Waterbury. That would be like condemning the Beatles but you'd only ever heard a George Harrison tune.

Be sure to check out a Whalers game. Oh. Wait. Never mind. :wacko:

That's hilarious, I actually found myself at Sliders two Saturdays ago when I asked for a sports bar to watch the Final Four games. It was a sports bar all right.

Thanks gbpfan1231, I appreciate it.

Be sure to check out a Whalers game. Oh. Wait. Never mind. :wacko:

:D

I'll be dodging Pats, G-men and Jets fans I guess.

Thanks for all the info guys, keep it up, more info the better. :D

I've lived all over the world and its taught me to look at the bright side of everywhere I've been, and I see a lot that I like. You take the good with the bad. I think CT will be a better place for my family than L.A. I run the risk of raising Pats, G-men or Jets fans though. Again, good with the bad :brew:

:D

I'll be dodging Pats, G-men and Jets fans I guess.

Thanks for all the info guys, keep it up, more info the better. :wacko:

I've lived all over the world and its taught me to look at the bright side of everywhere I've been, and I see a lot that I like. You take the good with the bad. I think CT will be a better place for my family than L.A. I run the risk of raising Pats, G-men or Jets fans though. Again, good with the bad :D

In Hartford, you'll probably see more Pats and Sox fans. New Haven would be more Yankee and Giant fans. Jets and Mets fans are outcasts wherever they are.