[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

4/17- Player News (Freddy T, Shockey, Hester and Redman)

Guest Chappy

Guest Chappy

http://www.jaguars.com/news/article.aspx?i...&source=rss

F.Taylor To Keep Playing?

RB Fred Taylor indicated to jaguars.com that he intends to continue playing until he passes RB Jim Brown's career rushing mark and then he will retire. "I’m going to have a better season. I’m on a mission. I’m just trying to catch Jim Brown and then we’ll close the curtains,” Taylor told jaguars.com during a visit to Jacksonville Municipal Stadium on Wednesday.

Taylor is currently 1598 yards short of Brown's career mark. It is highly unlikely he will reach that yardage mark in 2008 while splitting carries with RB Maurice Jones-Drew. As such, expect Taylor to play at least two more seasons. His contract currently has three years remaining. This means that Jones-Drew may have to wait at least two more seasons before he is the unquestioned RB in Jacksonville.

| April 17, 2008 4:52 PM

------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.nj.com/giants/

GM Still Says Shockey Is Starter

When asked about TE Jeremy Shockey, Giants GM Jerry Reese said, "Right now, all I can say on Jeremy Shockey is he's our starting tight end."

One has to wonder how long the Giants will hold onto Shockey with the draft getting closer. It was reported earlier that they got an offer from the Saints and rumors have surfaced ever since. We will keep owners updated, but it's not out of the possibility that Shockey won't be a Giant in 2008.

| April 17, 2008 4:44 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.atlantafalcons.com/News/Article..._mini_camp.aspx

Redman Impressive at Camp

The QB competition in Atlanta is already heating up, and the NFL draft hasn't even happened yet. HC Mike Smith liked what he saw out of both QB Joey Harrington and QB Chris Redman at the team's recent minicamp. Smith singled out Redman after camp saying, "I think Chris has done a nice job. He and Joey are out there competing every snap and he's done a nice job coming back from being out of the league for three years. I think it's a great story (and) he played efficiently there at the end of the season. It's a new system for him; it's a new system for all of us. We made a lot of progress but we also have a lot of things we need to clean up."

Earlier this week we reported Redman left camp as the Falcons starting QB, Smith seems to have confirmed that belief. No matter who starts in Atlanta they should be a lower end QB2 on your roster.

| April 17, 2008 1:19 PM

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/football/be...r041608.article

Hester Wants More Money

If the LB Brian Urlacher and DT Tommie Harris contract talks weren't enough this offseason, WR Devin Hester's contract quibble might put you over the top. Deion Sanders, apparently speaking for Hester said, “They’re looking for tremendous things from this guy, Devin Hester, but Devin Hester isn’t happy with his contract and he deserves to be paid amongst the league’s best." Hester is aiming to get money in line with the $42 million, six-year contract Bernard Berrian received from the Minnesota Vikings.

If Hester wants elite KR/PR money that's fine with us, but for him to demand big WR money is a little bizarre. We have no idea how this will play out as Hester has two years remaining on his rookie contract. We do know that even in addition to his return skills we wouldn't pay $42 million for a WR that has nearly as many career fumbles (15) as career catches (20).

| April 17, 2008 1:03 PM

F.Taylor To Keep Playing?

RB Fred Taylor indicated to jaguars.com that he intends to continue playing until he passes RB Jim Brown's career rushing mark and then he will retire. "I’m going to have a better season. I’m on a mission. I’m just trying to catch Jim Brown and then we’ll close the curtains,” Taylor told jaguars.com during a visit to Jacksonville Municipal Stadium on Wednesday.

Taylor is currently 1598 yards short of Brown's career mark. It is highly unlikely he will reach that yardage mark in 2008 while splitting carries with RB Maurice Jones-Drew. As such, expect Taylor to play at least two more seasons. His contract currently has three years remaining. This means that Jones-Drew may have to wait at least two more seasons before he is the unquestioned RB in Jacksonville.

Wow. Glad I'm not a Jones-Drew owner in any league.

Not sure what Fred's deal is. He already has 1 more season and 5 more games in his career than Brown had in his, and he's still way behind Brown. Does he think that this will get him mentioned in the same breath as Brown when people talk about the best RBs that ever played? Then add that he's 32 years old & that his quest is going to probably place JAX in a very awkward position regarding his disposition...

:shaking head:

GM Still Says Shockey Is Starter

When asked about TE Jeremy Shockey, Giants GM Jerry Reese said, "Right now, all I can say on Jeremy Shockey is he's our starting tight end."

One has to wonder how long the Giants will hold onto Shockey with the draft getting closer. It was reported earlier that they got an offer from the Saints and rumors have surfaced ever since. We will keep owners updated, but it's not out of the possibility that Shockey won't be a Giant in 2008.

Either Reese is the only person associated with football who didn't see that the Giants played much, much better without Shockey than with him; or he thinks the rest of the football world is stupid enough to believe him when he makes statements like this. Shockey is a me-first prima donna with a hugh mouth who could give a crap about the team if it doesn't revolve around him (queue the pictures of him slamming beers with his posse in a suite at the Super Bowl instead of being on the field with his team).

Reese either ought to realize he needs to move Shockey while the guy still has any reasonable value, or he thinks this smokescreen somehow enhances that value prior to a trade. Either way, he's looking pretty stupid making these kinds of statements.

Redman Impressive at Camp

The QB competition in Atlanta is already heating up, and the NFL draft hasn't even happened yet. HC Mike Smith liked what he saw out of both QB Joey Harrington and QB Chris Redman at the team's recent minicamp. Smith singled out Redman after camp saying, "I think Chris has done a nice job. He and Joey are out there competing every snap and he's done a nice job coming back from being out of the league for three years. I think it's a great story (and) he played efficiently there at the end of the season. It's a new system for him; it's a new system for all of us. We made a lot of progress but we also have a lot of things we need to clean up."

Earlier this week we reported Redman left camp as the Falcons starting QB, Smith seems to have confirmed that belief. No matter who starts in Atlanta they should be a lower end QB2 on your roster.

Lots of guys look great in Ts & shorts. Let's see what happens when they strap on te pads & start playing in anger.

Still, here's to hoping Redman or someone else comes out as a competent starter in ATL. There's some intriguiing talent at some of the other skill spots in ATL, and a QB who can at least be mediocre might provide those guys with enough to post some surprising FF numbers.

Hester Wants More Money

If the LB Brian Urlacher and DT Tommie Harris contract talks weren't enough this offseason, WR Devin Hester's contract quibble might put you over the top. Deion Sanders, apparently speaking for Hester said, “They’re looking for tremendous things from this guy, Devin Hester, but Devin Hester isn’t happy with his contract and he deserves to be paid amongst the league’s best." Hester is aiming to get money in line with the $42 million, six-year contract Bernard Berrian received from the Minnesota Vikings.

If Hester wants elite KR/PR money that's fine with us, but for him to demand big WR money is a little bizarre. We have no idea how this will play out as Hester has two years remaining on his rookie contract. We do know that even in addition to his return skills we wouldn't pay $42 million for a WR that has nearly as many career fumbles (15) as career catches (20).

What is it with former "The U" players that ends up being so disagreeable? The arrogance in the face of single digit Wonderlic scores? The in-your-grill attitude? The "I'm bigger than the team" stylings?

Well, Hester did have 105 touches for 1884 yds & 8 TDs last year. He is certainly CHI's best weapon. But he does make most of his bones in kick & punt returns, and he does put the ball on the carpet a disturbing amount.

He probably deserves a raise, but his problem is that he still has 2 years on the contract that he signed. He's also asking him for money that puts him into Braylon Edwards/Andre Johnson/Anquan Boldin territory - that might be just a bit too bold. Berrian didn't earn or deserve that kind of money and he can stay on the field every offensive play. Not sure why Hester thinks he deserves it.

This smells like a hold out situation, and probably a kid who is getting some bad advice.

Not sure what Fred's deal is. He already has 1 more season and 5 more games in his career than Brown had in his, and he's still way behind Brown. Does he think that this will get him mentioned in the same breath as Brown when people talk about the best RBs that ever played? Then add that he's 32 years old & that his quest is going to probably place JAX in a very awkward position regarding his disposition...

:wacko:

:D

Either Reese is the only person associated with football who didn't see that the Giants played much, much better without Shockey than with him; or he thinks the rest of the football world is stupid enough to believe him when he makes statements like this. Shockey is a me-first prima donna with a hugh mouth who could give a crap about the team if it doesn't revolve around him (queue the pictures of him slamming beers with his posse in a suite at the Super Bowl instead of being on the field with his team).

Reese either ought to realize he needs to move Shockey while the guy still has any reasonable value, or he thinks this smokescreen somehow enhances that value prior to a trade. Either way, he's looking pretty stupid making these kinds of statements.

Giants: Shockey open to Saints

The News

According to the New York Daily News, Jeremy Shockey has told friends he'd be fine with a trade to the Saints. Sources say at least two teams have contacted the Giants about the tight end.

Our View

We hear Drew Brees has worked with a pretty good pass-catching tight end in his past (Antonio Gates), and Sean Payton was a member of the Giants staff when Shockey was a rookie. We imagine Shockey would fit in immediately with the Saints.

Lots of guys look great in Ts & shorts. Let's see what happens when they strap on te pads & start playing in anger.

Still, here's to hoping Redman or someone else comes out as a competent starter in ATL. There's some intriguiing talent at some of the other skill spots in ATL, and a QB who can at least be mediocre might provide those guys with enough to post some surprising FF numbers.

Considering the state of the Falcons over the last 5 games of '07 and how Redman performed, I'd say it's not a stretch that he could be the week 1 starter... even if the Falcons draft a first day QB as expected.

If Dimitroff can add just one week 1 starting OL via the draft (a la Browns and Joe Thomas last year), Redman could definitely be an adequate stop-gap until they land their franchise QB or, if they draft one this year, until the franchise QB is ready.

Why Reese isn't thinking about maximizing Shockey's trade value right now is beyond me. A few more injuries or stupid comments from Shockey and he won't be worth anything near what has already been offered for him.

i don't see this as a problem for MJD. he'll never get the full load. he'll always have a 2nd RB getting 10 carries a game i believe.

and besides, Taylor is getting up there and him staying healthy as he did last year isn't the norm. Taylor's a terrific RB but i'd be shocked if he does what he did last year again.

Why Reese isn't thinking about maximizing Shockey's trade value right now is beyond me. A few more injuries or stupid comments from Shockey and he won't be worth anything near what has already been offered for him.

They want more than a 2nd round pick & it's not going to happen unless they settle.

i don't see this as a problem for MJD. he'll never get the full load. he'll always have a 2nd RB getting 10 carries a game i believe.

and besides, Taylor is getting up there and him staying healthy as he did last year isn't the norm. Taylor's a terrific RB but i'd be shocked if he does what he did last year again.

I guess I'm of the opinion that Jones-Drew could absorb another 5-8 touches a game with the body type he has (and the toughness he's shown). That means he could take the leap & move into the upper 5-6 RBs in football. It would be a shame to see that compromised for the aggrandizement of Taylor chasing Brown, and that really sucks for MJD owners that they can't maximize his value.

What is it with former "The U" players that ends up being so disagreeable? The arrogance in the face of single digit Wonderlic scores? The in-your-grill attitude? The "I'm bigger than the team" stylings?

Well, Hester did have 105 touches for 1884 yds & 8 TDs last year. He is certainly CHI's best weapon. But he does make most of his bones in kick & punt returns, and he does put the ball on the carpet a disturbing amount.

He probably deserves a raise, but his problem is that he still has 2 years on the contract that he signed. He's also asking him for money that puts him into Braylon Edwards/Andre Johnson/Anquan Boldin territory - that might be just a bit too bold. Berrian didn't earn or deserve that kind of money and he can stay on the field every offensive play. Not sure why Hester thinks he deserves it.

This smells like a hold out situation, and probably a kid who is getting some bad advice.

I don't like Deion's involvement, for sure. Up to this point, whenever Hester has talked about more $ he was always sounding reasonable. Hopefully, he hasn't been poisoned since, and the Berrian numbers are his starting point for negotiations, meaning it goes lower from there.

We'll see though.

I guess I'm of the opinion that Jones-Drew could absorb another 5-8 touches a game with the body type he has (and the toughness he's shown). That means he could take the leap & move into the upper 5-6 RBs in football. It would be a shame to see that compromised for the aggrandizement of Taylor chasing Brown, and that really sucks for MJD owners that they can't maximize his value.

You make it seem as if Taylor is a bum. Like him or not, the guy had the ninth most rushing yards last season and closed out the regular season with a beastly five straight 100+ yard games. (Leading my main local team to a championship in the process.) He's overcome his injury demons and with MJD keeping him fresh, I think he can continue to be productive late in his career. Your eagerness for MJD to assume the role of a workhorse back also overlooks the fact that Taylor is Jacksonville's offensive leader (if not team leader).

Giants: Shockey open to Saints

The News

According to the New York Daily News, Jeremy Shockey has told friends he'd be fine with a trade to the Saints. Sources say at least two teams have contacted the Giants about the tight end.

Our View

We hear Drew Brees has worked with a pretty good pass-catching tight end in his past (Antonio Gates), and Sean Payton was a member of the Giants staff when Shockey was a rookie. We imagine Shockey would fit in immediately with the Saints.

I cant wait for them to dump him to Saints.... I hope they do it sometime next week

I think he can continue to be productive late in his career.

He's past the point of it being late in his career. He's 32 years old and he's been in the league 10 years already. By RB standards, he's approaching the Methusalah level. This is about the time in CMar broke down, and he had a career that was nothing short of amazing when it came to longevity & productivity.

I don't think Taylor has a snowball's chance in Hell of passing Brown's career rushing yardage number.

No way the Bears let things between Hester and them get ugly. They know his value and they won't let him go somewhere else. Hester loves Chicago and I can't seem him anywhere else, homer talk and no homer talk. I remember listening to an interview with him at the end of the season talking about how he loves his home, building it up, and doesn't want to move anywhere else. I believe him, for what it's worth.

Uhmm, this is a football bbs. You might want to learn about it.

Go check the past 5 seasons and tell me how many games Fred has missed.

I say 5 over a 6 year span. I am rather curious is it 3. And he just sat out the last 2 years in the season finale.

http://www.nfl.com/players/fredtaylor/profile?id=TAY220162

Jim Brown is a very big fan of Fred, he says he is the best in the game. Fred is a huge fan of Jim Brown.

http://www.jaguars.com/news/article.aspx?id=6871

Fred has grown into one of the most liked people among the guys in the league.

Taylor is one of five finalists for the Pro Football Writers of America’s “Good Guy” award. The other four finalists are Brett Favre, Bob Sanders, Darren Sharper and Jason Taylor.

I used to be a Fred hater, when he fumbled the ball while grabbing his crotch, I cursed him. Later, I learned the muscle had completely torn away from the bone, one of the most excruciatingly painful injuries you can have. It would have hurt less if someone had just shot him in the dick.

Fred Taylor has grown into a Pro's pro. He is the real deal, and any team would be lucky to have him.