[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

TJ says the Bengals and Chad should divorce.

The Irish Doggy

T.J.: Chad trade necessary

BY MARK CURNUTTE | MCURNUTTE@ENQUIRER.COM

E-mail thisE-mail | Printer-FriendlyPrint | digg us! | del.icio.us! * | Listen to this article or download audio file. Click-2-Listen

T.J. Houshmandzadeh, Chad Johnson’s confidant, said today that if his fellow Bengals receiver isn’t traded, he’s going to be a problem and that having him on the team will be a distraction.

Houshmandzadeh said it might be best, in spite of the salary cap hit, if the Bengals were to grant Johnson’s wish to be traded.

“If he’s not traded, he’s going to be a problem,” Houshmandzadeh said.

ADVERTISEMENT

He found himself talking to both Johnson and quarterback Carson Palmer on Wednesday, the day Johnson strongly refuted Palmer’s comment that Johnson had told him he would report to the Bengals when required.

“Honestly, it’s the same thing; he doesn’t want to be here,” Houshmandzadeh said. “Will he eventually show up? I don’t know. Logic would tell you he would show up and get a credited season. Whatever month it is – September, October (or) November – it’s going to be a distraction.”

Houshmandzadeh compared the situation to a husband and wife divorcing. If one spouse wants to leave, the only reason that spouse might stay is out of pity, he said.

“It’s going to be ups and a whole lot of downs,” said Houshmandzadeh, comparing Johnson’s relationship to the Bengals. “It’s early. We’ve got May, June and July.

“We have 53 players on the team. Do you want to roll the dice and get him to Cincinnati and see if he will perform and be professional? But will it be such a disruption that it will be another season down the drain – a season when (Bengal veteran right tackle) Willie Anderson doesn’t get to the playoffs?”

Houshmandzadeh, the team’s player representative to the union, told Johnson that he faces more than $14,000 a day in fines for not reporting when required.

“He doesn’t care,” Houshmandzadeh said of Johnson’s reaction.

By crossing swords with Palmer, Houshmandzadeh said, Johnson might have picked a fight he can’t win.

“Carson is the $119 million man,” Houshmandzadeh said. “I talked to him (Wednesday). He said, ‘I don’t know what I said to (anger Johnson).’ ”

link

Yea, another Chad post. :wacko:

Fantasy question here. Who the heck gets the benefit of Chad being gone? Henry is cut, they have a good receiving TE, but have never used the position for that & they have nobody behind Housh & Chad.

My guess....they'd get a draft pick and a decent #2 WR if they were to trade him.

For instance, the Eagles #2 pick and Reggie Brown..... :wacko:

chad and tj are pretty close friends. i wouldn't be surprised if tj is coming out to help make the case to get chad what he wants.

i say to hell with what chad wants. this team expanded his contract when he still had 4 years remaining, which is somewhat of an unprecedented move. this team and the city has embraced chad in the past and there really is absolutely nothing for him to be complaining about.

maybe drew and chad agreed to give tj a cut of his profits if they can succeed in making this trade happen ...

Fantasy question here. Who the heck gets the benefit of Chad being gone?

Short answer: other than TJ no WR/TE on the roster is worth having on your FF team.

Long Answer: They may be able to get some serviceable yards out of Holt, Gabriel, and Chatman, but I doubt any one of them will be more than a desperation bye week filler. Utech may be used more than TEs in the past out of necessity, but honestly, say he doubles the TE production... that's only about 400 yards and 3 TDs. Yuck. TE Coats might contribute in his second year, but this is doubtful as well. They'll probably grab a WR on day one of the draft, so there could be a sleeper, but not worth drafting in redrafts most likely. If Chad is gone, they will be in a rebuilding mode for the pass offense.

chad and tj are pretty close friends. i wouldn't be surprised if tj is coming out to help make the case to get chad what he wants.

i say to hell with what chad wants. this team expanded his contract when he still had 4 years remaining, which is somewhat of an unprecedented move. this team and the city has embraced chad in the past and there really is absolutely nothing for him to be complaining about.

maybe drew and chad agreed to give tj a cut of his profits if they can succeed in making this trade happen ...

+1

Fantasy question here. Who the heck gets the benefit of Chad being gone?

I think the only possible benefactor from a divorce would be the tandem of Rudi and Watson. Allegedly they were hoping to get the running game more involved this year anyway. Of course, that is always the plan until you are down 21-0 in the first quarter.

I think the only possible benefactor from a divorce would be the tandem of Rudi and Watson. Allegedly they were hoping to get the running game more involved this year anyway. Of course, that is always the plan until you are down 21-0 in the first quarter.

Which is why this draft has to be defense, defense, defense. Chad or no Chad, this team isn't going anywhere without some serious D help.

Guest Chappy

Just a little bit more to add to the Chad Johnson Saga.

An interesting article about the actual cap hit if CJ is cut....

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/04/17/...ohnson-cap-hit/

First, the June 1 rule permits the cap charge to be spread over two seasons. If Johnson is traded or released after June 1, the dead money in 2008 will be considerably smaller, apparently in the neighborhood of $3 million. He also can be cut now, with the move designated as a post-June 1 transaction.

Second, since the Bengals would avoid Johnson’s $3 million base salary for 2008 (and his $250,000 workout bonus, which they’ve presumably already been relieved from paying due to his failure to report for voluntary offseason workouts), it’s a wash in 2008 dollars.

Third, any cap hit in 2009 would be offset by $4.75 million in salary and workout bonus that the Bengals wouldn’t have to pay to Johnson next year

There's more to the article.... just didn't want to copy the whole thing. Good stuff.

Edited by Chappy