[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Michael Bush

Return Of S&B

If the Raiders pass on McFadden this year in my opinion it will be because they think Bush is ready to make his comeback. If healthy, he could form a nice duo with Fargas or Rhodes. I would hope they believe he is ready to be the primary back though because Bush is by far the most talented RB on the roster.

Info had been scarce on this guy until recently...saw two articles last week, this is one of them.

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/fantasy/story/10773456

Offseason Confidential: Bush ready to roll

April 16, 2008

By Dave Richard

Senior Fantasy Writer

If there's one thing Michael Bush wants you to know, it's that the right leg he broke as a senior in 2006 at Louisville is FINE.

"There's no need to ask that question anymore," Bush recently told CBSSports.com. "I could be playing a game of basketball and someone will say 'How's your leg?' and I'm like, 'Man, I'm out here playing ball, what do you think?'"

If not for that broken leg, Bush would have been a first-round pick in the 2007 NFL Draft and surely a popular commodity in Fantasy drafts last summer. But because of that fateful break, Bush wound up going in the fourth round to Oakland, where he spent most of the year on the Physically Unable to Perform list before being transferred to Injured Reserve, wiping out his rookie season.

But Bush says he could have played.

"I've been fine since, to me, Game 4 of last season," Bush said. "I think it was a numbers game. I felt like I did fine. They didn't say I looked bad. Since camp last year and all the way up to the season, all I did was stay on the side, conditioning and running, doing drills and catching balls after practice with JaMarcus (Russell). I did everything that a regular football player would do, and they just didn't activate me.

"They sat me down. I had a meeting with coach (Lane) Kiffin and our running backs coach (Tom Rathman) and they just said there weren't any spots open. So if they were to bring me up, they would have had to cut somebody and they didn't want to do that."

While 2007 was a wash for Bush, he's doing all that he can to make up for it in 2008. He's been working out at the Raiders training facility this offseason with the club's new strength and conditioning coach Brad Roll and has also been working out on the practice field with starting quarterback JaMarcus Russell.

As for his role with the club in 2008, Bush said, "I have no idea. All the backs are still here and we haven't had an OTA yet, so I don't know what's going on. I see the coaches every now and then, but I feel like if they need to tell me something or let me know what's going on, they would. Right now, my main thing is to get ready and in shape for the minicamps."

Bush added that running backs Justin Fargas and Dominic Rhodes, as well as fullbacks Justin Griffith and Oren O'Neal, have also been working out with the Raiders, but he hasn't seen LaMont Jordan, which might be further proof that the veteran power back is on the way out of town. That would pave the way for Bush to take his spot as a complement to Fargas, who is expected to see the bulk of the carries.

One Raider who is definitely staying in town is Russell, who did play as a rookie in 2007 but faltered, completing 54.5 percent of his passes for 373 yards with two scores, four interceptions and four fumbles (two lost). Bush felt that Russell's inconsistent play was related to his inexperience to the pro game.

"I'll probably be jittery on my first time, too," Bush said. "Quarterback is a big role, he has to know everything about every position on the field. He was probably just nervous out there, and once the preseason comes around, he'll get more relaxed and more comfortable."

Spending plenty of time with him this offseason, Bush sees the progress Russell is making heading into his second season.

"He looks good," noted Bush. "He's always got that strong arm, and he's learning to put some touch on it with the running backs coming out of the backfield and stuff like that. It seems like his footwork has improved, and his progression ... I mean, he throws a pretty ball whether it's short or deep. I think he's going to be fine."

As for the rest of the Raiders, Bush agreed that Oakland's outlook is much improved after adding safety Gibril Wilson and cornerback DeAngelo Hall this offseason and re-signing DT Tommy Kelly. Sporting what might be the stingiest secondary in the NFL in 2008 with an improved D-line, Oakland's running backs could be in for a lot of work grinding the clock, work that suits a power runner like Bush just fine. Fantasy owners should be on high alert for Bush as a sleeper with a middle- to late-round pick in drafts this summer if the Raiders choose not to draft a running back in the 2008 NFL Draft. Russell can be expected to be off the boards soon thereafter.

And if you have any reservations about Bush's leg ... well, just don't ask him about it.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Chappy

I think your point may have some validity in regard to the Raiders passing on McFadden because they have some backs already and think Bush can be the main guy or at least part of a solid RBBC. However, I also think they may feel that they have some other very pressing needs and with a defensive minded coach, who by the way wants to go defense, it's possible McFadden remains on the board and the Raiders select Gholston.

I think your point may have some validity in regard to the Raiders passing on McFadden because they have some backs already and think Bush can be the main guy or at least part of a solid RBBC. However, I also think they may feel that they have some other very pressing needs and with a defensive minded coach, who by the way wants to go defense, it's possible McFadden remains on the board and the Raiders select Gholston.

If bush is healthy, it would be pretty dumb to take mcfadden. If i had to guess, i'd say they pass on him.

Guest Chappy

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writ.../20/mmqb/1.html

King Likes Bush

SI's Peter King stated in his Monday Morning Quarterback column that he is high on RB Michael Bush. "I don't feel confident predicting anything they'd (Al Davis and the Raiders) do, except I don't think they'll pick Darren McFadden, because they think Michael Bush will come back strong from his 2006 broken leg and be an every-down back, potentially this year."

Bush is a longshot, as he has to pass RBs Justin Fargas, Dominic Rhodes, LaMont Jordan, and potentially McFadden. But he has skills, and if you have roster room, acquire him in deep leagues.

| April 21, 2008 6:38 PM

How is he going to fly to any away games with the metal detectors at the airports picking up on that steel rod in his leg?

I'm sorry, but that leg surgery was so invasive, and the repairs so extensive, that I simply don't see how any human could return to 100% of their previous form - and the margin for error is very, very slim indeed at the pro level. He had some holes in his game to begin with. Now he's supposed to be a featured-caliber NFL RB after the repairs? I'm not buying it.

I almost too Bush in the 16th round of our Dynasty draft yesterday, but after doing some research I was totally scared off.

Sure, the stuff I read says that he is healthy and should play this year...

But I find just as many articles that say Al Davis is in love with McFadden, and that he is the decider when it comes to drafting. I really truly believe in my heart that Al Davis will pick him if he is available, despite it being an incredibly stupid move for his team. They have much bigger needs than RB, but I think we all know that Al will do whatever Al wants and then blame the problems his crazy ass causes on someone else.

Bier Meister, don't read this:

If Oakland doesn't draft McFadden Saturday morning, I'll be on Michael Bush like stink on a wet dog

I almost too Bush in the 16th round of our Dynasty draft yesterday, but after doing some research I was totally scared off.

Sure, the stuff I read says that he is healthy and should play this year...

But I find just as many articles that say Al Davis is in love with McFadden, and that he is the decider when it comes to drafting. I really truly believe in my heart that Al Davis will pick him if he is available, despite it being an incredibly stupid move for his team. They have much bigger needs than RB, but I think we all know that Al will do whatever Al wants and then blame the problems his crazy ass causes on someone else.

Bier Meister, don't read this:

If Oakland doesn't draft McFadden Saturday morning, I'll be on Michael Bush like stink on a wet dog

Im pretty sure they dont have a 2nd or 3rd round pick either, so if they take a RB, they cant get Defense until rounds 4-7. Thatd be downright stupid if he takes McFadden. Is it possible, sure. I dont think he does it though. That team needs to get back to respectability, and taking yet another RB would only keep that team on a downward trend. It might sell spamshirts, but it wont win games.

Guest Chappy
I have serious doubts about this statement.

:wacko:

You know, after I posted that and read it over, I thought now who will be the first to comment. Nice job Dutch.

Im pretty sure they dont have a 2nd or 3rd round pick either, so if they take a RB, they cant get Defense until rounds 4-7. Thatd be downright stupid if he takes McFadden. Is it possible, sure. I dont think he does it though. That team needs to get back to respectability, and taking yet another RB would only keep that team on a downward trend. It might sell spamshirts, but it wont win games.

The article I was reading said that Kiffin openly wanted to trade down in the first to get more picks.

Al Davis has never traded down once in his entire career, and wants the big name. Big names, and no defense... it's the Raider way now that Al is senile.

The article I was reading said that Kiffin openly wanted to trade down in the first to get more picks.

Al Davis has never traded down once in his entire career, and wants the big name. Big names, and no defense... it's the Raider way now that Al is senile.

I understand Al "loves speed" as I am so sick of hearing, but what would McFadden do that the other RBs cant do? They need defense, plain and simple, and any pick other than defense, would really make Al look older, dumber, and more senile then he already is.

I still think they take Gholston over McFadden (assuming he is there).

I understand Al "loves speed" as I am so sick of hearing, but what would McFadden do that the other RBs cant do? They need defense, plain and simple, and any pick other than defense, would really make Al look older, dumber, and more senile then he already is.

I still think they take Gholston over McFadden (assuming he is there).

I wouldn't put it past Al to do anything at this point. Rational thought and reasoning do not enter into the equation. Al never cared about his public perception before he was rendered null and void, what would make anyone think that will cross his channel scrambled mind now?

The Raiders have always been about big-names (at least since the very early 80s) sometimes it worked (Tim Brown, Jerry Rice, Bo Jackson, Marcus Allen)... sometimes it didnt (Roger Craig, Eric Dickerson, Willie Gault...).

Throughout their history though the Raiders always believed in getting the Heisman Trophy winners and superior athletes (the bigger or faster the better), and then coach them to be good football players. For most of Al Davis's tenure this strategy worked...but Al has definitely lost his edge in talent evaluation. Also this strategy no longer works in modern day football because every team is looking for big fast guys these days...now everybody pays attention to speed, size and strength, not just the Raiders.

Although he has the final say in everything, his coaches do have some influence. Hopefully Kiffin/Ryan make enough noise to get one of the Defensive Ends selected with their pick at 4 (Chris Long or Gohlston).

I am pretty sure Davis will select Howie's boy though if he is there at #4.

Edited by Return Of S&B

If bush is healthy, it would be pretty dumb to take mcfadden. If i had to guess, i'd say they pass on him.

I think he could have played last year. He may be the steal of the draft if he is healthy.

The thing this team needs more than anything else is an offensive playmaker, a guy that can change games. McFadden fits that bill exponentially more so than anyone else in this draft, or currently on the Raiders roster. To me, this is as much of a no-brainer as a draft pick can get.

The thing this team needs more than anything else is an offensive playmaker, a guy that can change games. McFadden fits that bill exponentially more so than anyone else in this draft, or currently on the Raiders roster. To me, this is as much of a no-brainer as a draft pick can get.

The rushing attack wasn't the problem last year. It's one of their few strength's, so I don't see why you further strengthen that position only to ignore a weakness... That whole being strong as your weakest link comes to mind.

The rushing attack wasn't the problem last year. It's one of their few strength's, so I don't see why you further strengthen that position only to ignore a weakness... That whole being strong as your weakest link comes to mind.

+1. McF is the furthest thing that team needs.

Exactly.

The most important thing for the Raiders at this point is to surround JaMarcus Russell with as much talent as possible and give him the best opportunity possible to succeed, and the Raiders have no gamebreakers on that roster.

While their RB corp is adequate to good, you don't pass up an-world talent like McFadden because you have Michael Bush on the bench, who hasn't played in two years, and Justin Fargas in the huddle, who hasn't finished a season in his entire career. :wacko:

As a Raider fan McFadden is the pick I want( I don't believe Son of Howie will be there). If this guy can be the next Marcus Allen, teaming him with Russell for the next 7-8 years is a hell of an exciting prospect.

It would sour me up to pass on a difference maker like McFadden for a tweener like fuggin Gholston out of pure need.... ugh :D

How is he going to fly to any away games with the metal detectors at the airports picking up on that steel rod in his leg?

Charter passengers don't have to go through security.

Exactly.

The most important thing for the Raiders at this point is to surround JaMarcus Russell with as much talent as possible and give him the best opportunity possible to succeed, and the Raiders have no gamebreakers on that roster.

While their RB corp is adequate to good, you don't pass up an-world talent like McFadden because you have Michael Bush on the bench, who hasn't played in two years, and Justin Fargas in the huddle, who hasn't finished a season in his entire career. :wacko:

As a Raider fan McFadden is the pick I want( I don't believe Son of Howie will be there). If this guy can be the next Marcus Allen, teaming him with Russell for the next 7-8 years is a hell of an exciting prospect.

It would sour me up to pass on a difference maker like McFadden for a tweener like fuggin Gholston out of pure need.... ugh :D

So youre saying that they should draft McFadden even though they dont need him, but they shouldnt drafty Gholston because they DO need him?

I just have 1 question... What the f**k are you TALKING about?!

This talk of OAK drafting McFadden is just mind boggling - but with Greasy Al in charge, it actually is credible.

OAK had a pitiful run D last season (so did DEN, OAK fans, so know that I'm not picking on you out of hate). Their pass D was rated so strongly only because teams didn't need to pass agaianst OAK a lot to move the ball & beat them. They were in the bottom 5 in every major run D statistical category as a team. They obviously need players who can help them shore up that run D, or it won't matter how much they improve the O - it won't be on the field enough to be effective and will be playing from behind a majority of the time.

Meanwhile, they have Bush, Jordan, Fargas, & Rhodes at RB. Jiminy Christmas - if they can't find 2 or 3 of those guys to mesh together into one coherent rushing threat then that's just plain incompetent game planning & personnel use.. At least 3 of them are credible NFL RBs, even though they have holes in their games in places, but as a unit they form a good RB corps.

But it's smarter to add McFadden to that rushing mix than to improve the run D? :wacko:

This talk of OAK drafting McFadden is just mind boggling - but with Greasy Al in charge, it actually is credible.

OAK had a pitiful run D last season (so did DEN, OAK fans, so know that I'm not picking on you out of hate). Their pass D was rated so strongly only because teams didn't need to pass agaianst OAK a lot to move the ball & beat them. They were in the bottom 5 in every major run D statistical category as a team. They obviously need players who can help them shore up that run D, or it won't matter how much they improve the O - it won't be on the field enough to be effective and will be playing from behind a majority of the time.

Meanwhile, they have Bush, Jordan, Fargas, & Rhodes at RB. Jiminy Christmas - if they can't find 2 or 3 of those guys to mesh together into one coherent rushing threat then that's just plain incompetent game planning & personnel use.. At least 3 of them are credible NFL RBs, even though they have holes in their games in places, but as a unit they form a good RB corps.

But it's smarter to add McFadden to that rushing mix than to improve the run D? :wacko:

Sadly, this is all true. The last thign Oak needs is another RB at this point when clearly the major hole, not only hole, is the Defensive Line. But much like Artie Lange, Al is going to do what Al is going to do... and unfortunately, it looks like he's going to take another RB.

Sadly, this is all true. The last thign Oak needs is another RB at this point when clearly the major hole, not only hole, is the Defensive Line. But much like Artie Lange, Al is going to do what Al is going to do... and unfortunately, it looks like he's going to take another RB.

I believe Al was going to go for McFadden until recently...below is a great article that hits the nail on the head though. It goes over the public's misconception of Al Davis's drafting patterns recently and how he really has been really drafting for need vs best player available the past 5 years.

This article, as well as some other info I came across recently leads me to believe the Raiders will be drafting Chris Long or Vernon Gohlston at the 4th spot even if McFadden is there.

http://www.ibabuzz.com/raidersblog/

Why McFadden isnt the pick

By Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer

Wednesday, April 23rd, 2008 at 7:23 am in Oakland Raiders

52 Comments »

Al Davis has a reputation of wanting the best available athlete. Give him the biggest, the fastest, the most explosive talent and he is happy, regardless of whether the position is settled.

It is said he wont be able to bypass Darren McFadden for that reason. He simply wont be able to resist putting an instant touchdown into an already crowded backfield, joining Justin Fargas, Michael Bush and Dominic Rhodes.

While there is some truth to Davis criteria in terms of talent, he is not all that mysterious.

Take place kicker Sebastian Janikowski, for instance.

True, Janikowski was a long-distance marvel and a spectacular talent, but the bottom line is the Raiders desperately needed a kicker. Michael Husteds troubles had cost the Raiders a chance at a 10-win season the previous year, and Jano was thought to be the final piece of the puzzle.

How about Michael Huff in 2006?

A smallish playmaker for a strong safety, but a safety is exactly what the Raiders needed. Despite the presence of USC quarterback Matt Leinart still on the board, Davis went with Huff. He already had Andrew Walter on the roster, a quarterback who was thought to be the future of the franchise.

When it turned out Walter perhaps wasnt the franchise after all, JaMarcus Russell was the choice at No. 1 the following season despite the presence of Calvin Johnson. Johnson was only the most remarkable size-speed combination in the history of the draft at his position.

Robert Gallerys selection in 2004 came at the expense of Roy Williams, a receiver Davis absolutely loved and thought was superior to Larry Fitzgerald, who went higher to Arizona. Gallery was a practical solution to a Raiders line which needed someone to install at left tackle for a decade.

Needs werent as clearly defined when the Raiders were winning three straight division titles, and with the Raiders drafting late, it was more of a best athlete scenario.

Considering the roster the Raiders already have, and the decisions to re-sign Fargas and coax Dominic Rhodes to take less money to remain on the roster, I don’t see Oakland taking McFadden on Saturday.

There is also the presence of Michael Bush, who hasnt played in two years but who is seen as a potential difference maker. Or at least thats the company line. If McFadden is the pick, it means the real thoughts on Bush are that he is too slow and not the long-term answer.

The Raiders were sixth in the NFL in rushing and gave up 100-yard games to 10 different backs. The practical thing to do is work on the defense, not add another back.

I'll admit I've talked to some people who really know Davis who think McFadden will be irresistable. But the bottom line is I think Davis is more practical than you think.

Holding the key to McFadden could have as much value as McFadden himself. The Raiders will use the No. 4 pick to get additional picks or take a defensive player who can make a difference.

Edited by Return Of S&B

I believe Al was going to go for McFadden until recently...below is a great article that hits the nail on the head though. It goes over the public's misconception of Al Davis's drafting patterns recently and how he really has been really drafting for need vs best player available the past 5 years.

This article, as well as some other info I came across recently leads me to believe the Raiders will be drafting Chris Long or Vernon Gohlston at the 4th spot even if McFadden is there.

http://www.ibabuzz.com/raidersblog/...

I'll admit I've talked to some people who really know Davis who think McFadden will be irresistable. But the bottom line is I think Davis is more practical than you think.

Holding the key to McFadden could have as much value as McFadden himself. The Raiders will use the No. 4 pick to get additional picks or take a defensive player who can make a difference.

I hope your right, S&B. Especially since we haven't even seen Bush step on the field, I would hate to find out the hard way that he DID return from injury afterall.