[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Roy Williams trade speculation still strong

ROYALWITCHEESE

Speculation centers around Lions dealing Roy Williams, possibly trading up for QB

BY NICHOLAS J. COTSONIKA • FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER • April 22, 2008

The NFL draft is five days away. That means teams are keeping their cards close to the vest while rumors run rampant, and it's time to try to sort the information from the misinformation.

Lions president Matt Millen has been an active trader, especially in the draft, and there is a lot of talk about moves he might make this weekend.

Will the Lions trade wide receiver Roy Williams? Will they try to move up to take Boston College quarterback Matt Ryan? Will they move back from No. 15? Will they maneuver later?

There has been trade talk involving Williams for weeks, fueled by two main things: The Lions drafted wide receiver Calvin Johnson second overall last year, and Williams is in the last year of his contract.

Coach Rod Marinelli has denied the Lions will trade Williams -- strongly and repeatedly -- comparing himself to an old dad shooing away suitors for his pretty daughter.

But the talk persists. In the latest episode, Eagles radio analyst Mike Quick says there will be news on Williams before the week is out. GCobb.com -- a Web site run by former Lions, Eagles and Cowboys linebacker Garry Cobb, now a Philadelphia media personality -- reports "that means the Cowboys, Redskins or the Eagles will probably wind up with the receiver."

At the Lions' pre-draft news conference Monday, Millen was asked if there was any way the Lions would trade Williams. He just laughed.

Seated next to Millen, Marinelli said: "Don't even ask me." Asked if that meant no, Millen continued to laugh and said: "That thing is brutal."

The Lions do not appear to be in the market for a quarterback. They drafted Drew Stanton out of Michigan State in the second round last year.

Stanton sat out last season with a knee injury. But he has recovered, and Marinelli has said Stanton and Dan Orlovsky, a fifth-round pick in 2005, will have a legitimate shot to compete with veteran Jon Kitna.

Sports Illustrated's Peter King, however, writes on SI.com: "If Ryan is sitting there at six or seven, I expect Detroit, Carolina and Chicago to inquire about trading up."

At the news conference, Marinelli was asked if a quarterback was a priority at all in the draft and about Stanton.

"To me, it's just a long process yet," Marinelli said. "But he's healthy and he's working. It looks like he's getting a little bit better. But there's a lot of hurdles left before the season starts."

So that's not something the Lions are really focused on as far as the draft?

"You never know," Marinelli said.

Told of the report about possibly trading up for Ryan, Marinelli asked whose report it was. He was told it was King's, then asked for his view of Stanton's future.

"He was injured last year, and he's just getting a chance," Marinelli said. "We like him. We liked him last year. But it's just a process right now, getting guys ready to play."

Millen spoke about maneuvering. At one point, he sounded content to stay at No. 15.

"We'll be patient, and then we'll just wait and see what's there," Millen said. "There will be a good player for us to pick at 15."

But at another point, talking about trading in general, he said it all depended on how players were coming off the board.

"Last year, we were sitting there," Millen said. "I'm like, 'Coach, if we want something, we're going to have to do one, because they're moving off the board too fast.' And so that dictated we moved. Sometimes you don't have to do anything."

Asked about the possibility of trading down from No. 15, Millen said: "Sure. Absolutely. You'll cut the best deal that you can. You have to read the board, and it's more than just who we like and where we're at. You have to see what the rest of the league is doing."

Marinelli seems most worried about another team leapfrogging the Lions to take a player they like.

"I think it's just so important that we do our work quietly, keep our business to ourselves," Marinelli said. "That's the best way to do it."

Seriously, if Millen is looking to trade his only decent draft pick he made then he's even more batty than everyone thinks. In his search for a top WR prospect, he burned three 1st rounders. He hit on only 1 of those 3, Roy, and now he's considering unloading him??? :wacko::D

Williams is the best Lions player since Barry retired.

Edited by kingfish247

Seriously, if Millen is looking to trade his only decent draft pick he made then he's even more batty than everyone thinks. In his search for a top WR prospect, he burned three 1st rounders. He hit on only 1 of those 3, Roy, and now he's considering unloading him??? :wacko::D

Williams is the best Lions player since Barry retired.

Many folks seem to think Johnson is better. Combine that with the Lions being unlikely to spend $120 mil on one position, and it makes some sense.

Many folks seem to think Johnson is better. Combine that with the Lions being unlikely to spend $120 mil on one position, and it makes some sense.

Well, right now Williams is better.

If the two best football players on the team are WRs, then it's not such a stretch to pay so much for the position.

I guess if they think Johnson will be better then more power to the Lions. It just seems that a team like the Lions should be trying to hold on to their best players since they don't seem to have a great knack at replacing them or drafting new ones.

DET has the QB who will turn out to be the best passer of the 2007 class right now, and they have a legit vet QB in place who can slide seamlessly into the #2 QB position on the team. Why would they deal a bonafide stud WR for another QB when they help in other places (**cough** **cough** RB)?

Did he really hit on him?

:wacko:

Poor choice of words.

But yeah, compared to the careers of M.Williams and Rogers... I'd say Millen hit the lottery with Roy.

It's too early to tell on Calvin but if I were the Lions I'd think twice before trading away any Pro Bowlers... regardless of the position or contract situations.

Edited by kingfish247

It's too early to tell on Calvin but if I were the Lions I'd think twice before trading away any Pro Bowlers... regardless of the position or contract situations.

Hmm. I disagree. If they are truly serious about changing their style to a run-based attack and cover 2 scheme. Then it would make sense to trade the player with the highest value (Roy) for multiple draft picks, allowing them to address more positions. For example, if the Cowboys offered one of their 1sts and a 3rd or 4th rounder (as rumored), the Lions could take Mendenhall, an Olineman, and still address the 2nd WR spot in the draft as well. This is along the lines of what the Chiefs are in the process of doing with Allen. Rather than having a guy you can't resign and have to franchise (as a result he plays cautiously to avoid an injury jeopardizing his chance at a big payday), trade him away and strengthen the team as a whole.

DET has the QB who will turn out to be the best passer of the 2007 class right now, and they have a legit vet QB in place who can slide seamlessly into the #2 QB position on the team. Why would they deal a bonafide stud WR for another QB when they help in other places (**cough** **cough** RB)?

I think OL is a more pressing need...

they can wait on RB until the 3rd or even 4th round...but OL needs to be addressed now..

I think OL is a more pressing need...

they can wait on RB until the 3rd or even 4th round...but OL needs to be addressed now..

I completely agree. The problem is that the best OL prospects will be gone by that point. Miami, KC, Chicago, and Denver are all candidates to take OL.

:wacko:

Poor choice of words.

But yeah, compared to the careers of M.Williams and Rogers... I'd say Millen hit the lottery with Roy.

I think I may compare to Mike Williams and Rogers... I just don't think Roy Williams is half as good as his hype... If you look at his numbers, he's had one strong season and that's it. He's missed 12 games in four years, only once went for over 1000 yards, and never exceeded 8 touchdowns... He loses focus and is always running his mouth. I just don't think he's nearly as valuable as most. That's just my opinion though.

Hmm. I disagree. If they are truly serious about changing their style to a run-based attack and cover 2 scheme. Then it would make sense to trade the player with the highest value (Roy) for multiple draft picks, allowing them to address more positions. For example, if the Cowboys offered one of their 1sts and a 3rd or 4th rounder (as rumored), the Lions could take Mendenhall, an Olineman, and still address the 2nd WR spot in the draft as well. This is along the lines of what the Chiefs are in the process of doing with Allen. Rather than having a guy you can't resign and have to franchise (as a result he plays cautiously to avoid an injury jeopardizing his chance at a big payday), trade him away and strengthen the team as a whole.

And what guarantee is this that any of those players will be of Roy's caliber in the NFL?

Here's a novel idea... how about just make some better picks with the ones they have. That way they can keep their best player and also do what they want to do on offense and defense. I don't think Roy has been stopping them from drafting a decent RB or decent OL. It could've had something to do with them drafting 2 bust WRs with previous 1st rounders and using another 1st rounder on a WR prospect last year. It could've had something to do with that they've drafted only 5 OL in 5 years, none higher than the 4th round, but 6 WRs in 5 years, 4 in the first round.

Also re: Allen... I think you'll find quite a few people of the opinion that trading away their only Pro Bowler/All-Pro defensive player isn't such a good idea either. Allen is only the 2nd Chiefs defensive player since 2000 to make a Pro Bowl. First since Jerome Woods (???) in 2003.

I guess it's a difference in philosophies... if I were running a team that has stunk like the Lions for the past 10 years and I used 4 first rounders on WRs, I wouldn't trade away the only remaining Pro Bowler, at any position, since 2002. Even if it's a WR. Maybe Millen ought to just be more judicious with the picks he does have rather than trading away his only current success for more picks to screw up.

Edited by kingfish247

I think I may compare to Mike Williams and Rogers... I just don't think Roy Williams is half as good as his hype... If you look at his numbers, he's had one strong season and that's it. He's missed 12 games in four years, only once went for over 1000 yards, and never exceeded 8 touchdowns... He loses focus and is always running his mouth. I just don't think he's nearly as valuable as most. That's just my opinion though.

I hear ya on this but one strong season for the Lions is pretty good considering that the Lions haven't won more than 7 games since 2000 with six different head coaches. It's not like strong seasons were coming easy for all those WRs taken in the 1st round. Strong seasons is a pretty foreign concept to any Lions player at this point.

The injury knock is fair enough but that doesn't mean that the players taken with the picks received in return for Roy won't have their issues in missing games for whatever reason... performance or injuries.

The Lions should know what they have in Roy... a Pro Bowl caliber WR. Not without his knocks but a good player nonetheless. Those haven't come easy in the Millen era.

Edited by kingfish247

I hear ya on this but one strong season for the Lions is pretty good considering that the Lions haven't won more than 7 games since 2000 with six different head coaches. It's not like strong seasons were coming easy for all those WRs taken in the 1st round. Strong seasons is a pretty foreign concept to any Lions player at this point.

The injury knock is fair enough but that doesn't mean that the players taken with the picks received in return for Roy won't have their issues in missing games for whatever reason... performance or injuries.

The Lions should know what they have in Roy... a Pro Bowl caliber WR. Not without his knocks but a good player nonetheless. Those haven't come easy in the Millen era.

I am not a Lions fan by any streth of the imagination but if I were...I dont see how trading Roy Williams should upset you. Especially since he has 1 yr left on his contract. You should look to rebuild and you got a young CJ who supposedly can breakout and be a top notch WR. The problem with the Oline can sometimes be fixed with a smarter QB where I think this team needs help in. I dont know much about Stanton so he might be good but I dont know. But they should try to acquire picks and look to rebuild this team as its going nowhere fast.

Yes Roy Williams is a great WR (top 15) in the league. But whats the point in having him if the QB cant throw to him or the QB gets hurt. In 1 yr Roy is going to want $$$ he deserves and why pay him that if you have no backbone of a team to support it.

I am going through something similar with the Jets (for some time now)... if Roy was on the Jets I would love to see them dump him for picks.

The problem here is the sheer ineptitude of the Lions.

They have the pieces. They aren't a rebuilding team as much as they play like it.

They should be able to make a run for it as soon as they take their heads from the asses. This won't be the case if they trade Roy.

I like Miami trading JT - but that's because the only thing JT can do on Miami is make our draft pick worse. He isn't enough to put us over the top, even if we play inspired ball.

Roy is different. He CAN make a difference. They just need to sneak out of the football gods' outhouse somehow

Edited by Duchess Jack

If possible, I agree with Duchess and pirates. :wacko:

I agree with Duchess that a change for Roy would be a good thing. He seems to be not interested in playing with the Lions. I get the impression that he's not a workout warrior based on the game announcers of one of the Lions games.

So I believe that he lacks focus but only because he's with the Lions. He's not living up to his potential, that's for sure.

If possible, I agree with Duchess and pirates. :wacko:

I agree with Duchess that a change for Roy would be a good thing. He seems to be not interested in playing with the Lions. I get the impression that he's not a workout warrior based on the game announcers of one of the Lions games.

So I believe that he lacks focus but only because he's with the Lions. He's not living up to his potential, that's for sure.

Oh, I absolutely agree with Duchess that a change of scenery would be a good thing for Roy Williams. I just don't view him as this franchise type player for the Lions that can't be traded. I think he's a good receiver, not elite or great. Just good.