[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Roy Williams trade speculation still strong

ROYALWITCHEESE

I completely agree. The problem is that the best OL prospects will be gone by that point. Miami, KC, Chicago, and Denver are all candidates to take OL.

if the 4 or 5 best players on the OL are gone, I'd try to trade down and get an extra 2nd and 3rd to stockpile on the OL...

The Lions would be fools to part with Roy. Anyone saying Calvin is better, I've yet to see it. Even if the two are equal, I keep both to have a very good wr core, not trade one for draft picks.

The Lions would be fools to part with Roy. Anyone saying Calvin is better, I've yet to see it. Even if the two are equal, I keep both to have a very good wr core, not trade one for draft picks.

No kidding. Give Stanton a shot but draft some protection for him.

I am not a Lions fan by any streth of the imagination but if I were...I dont see how trading Roy Williams should upset you. Especially since he has 1 yr left on his contract. You should look to rebuild and you got a young CJ who supposedly can breakout and be a top notch WR. The problem with the Oline can sometimes be fixed with a smarter QB where I think this team needs help in. I dont know much about Stanton so he might be good but I dont know. But they should try to acquire picks and look to rebuild this team as its going nowhere fast.

Yes Roy Williams is a great WR (top 15) in the league. But whats the point in having him if the QB cant throw to him or the QB gets hurt. In 1 yr Roy is going to want $$$ he deserves and why pay him that if you have no backbone of a team to support it.

I am going through something similar with the Jets (for some time now)... if Roy was on the Jets I would love to see them dump him for picks.

I'm not a Lions fan either. I could care less what they do with him. I just think Millen would be stupid to trade one of the rare draft picks he got correct. I agree that some may not see Roy as very good or great BUT he is probably the best football player they have on the roster right now. Judging from the trade interest other teams seem to think he's pretty good too. Anything about Calvin being as good or better just hasn't happened yet.

The Jets, under Mangini, have yet to attain the level of the Lions' team building futility. You might think the Jets are bad, or have been bad for some time now, but the 2008 Jets may as well be the '89 Niners compared to the current Lions roster and recent crappy player decisions.

This sums up Millen's ineptitude... full :wacko::

Let’s start with the fact that four of team president Matt Millen’s first-round picks – selected from 2001-2005 – are no longer with the team. When the Lions needed a running back in 2002, Millen tabbed Kalimba Edwards over Clinton Portis with the 35th overall pick. When Detroit needed a franchise quarterback in 2006, Millen passed on both Jay Cutler and Matt Leinart for linebacker Ernie Sims (a very good, but not a game-changing talent). When the Lions had a multitude of other needs, Millen drafted mega-lazy Mike Williams. The next three picks after Williams? Three Pro Bowlers: DeMarcus Ware, Shawne Merriman and Jammal Brown. And not only does Millen miss where it counts, he misses in bulk, too. Consider that his drafts from 2001 to 2005 should comprise at least a respectable portion of the team’s veteran core today. Instead, only nine of the 39 picks from that draft remain, and of those nine remaining players, only four are regular starters.

The last thing Millen needs to do is trade away his best draft selection and team's best player for more picks. He needs a career counselor or a lobotomy. Maybe both.

Edited by kingfish247

One strong season makes you think he's a difference maker?

One 1,000 yard season and never catching over 8 touchdowns in a year... I don't see why he's so highly touted.

maybe thats why you arent a GM or high ranking football scout guy :wacko:

Seriously, if Millen is looking to trade his only decent draft pick he made then he's even more batty than everyone thinks. In his search for a top WR prospect, he burned three 1st rounders. He hit on only 1 of those 3, Roy, and now he's considering unloading him??? :wacko::D

Williams is the best Lions player since Barry retired.

Agreed. Calvin may be better one day, but the fact that his back injury was significant enough to warrant Vycodin use makes me wonder about his durability. Even if Calvin morphs into a stud, you don't deal Roy Williams.

Agreed. Calvin may be better one day, but the fact that his back injury was significant enough to warrant Vycodin use makes me wonder about his durability. Even if Calvin morphs into a stud, you don't deal Roy Williams.

There are far more powerful alternatives than Vicodin... I see why vicodin use would scare you about durability. I'd be willing to bet 20-30% of the league used Vicodin at some point last season.

There are far more powerful alternatives than Vicodin... I see why vicodin use would scare you about durability. I'd be willing to bet 20-30% of the league used Vicodin at some point last season.

Well, it's not so much the Vicodin, but the fact that Johnson got banged up in the first place. It's certainly nothing to be alarmed over, but you don't want to kick Williams to the curb until Calvin has demonstrated beyond the shadow of a doubt that he's durable and highly-productive.

Well, it's not so much the Vicodin, but the fact that Johnson got banged up in the first place. It's certainly nothing to be alarmed over, but you don't want to kick Williams to the curb until Calvin has demonstrated beyond the shadow of a doubt that he's durable and highly-productive.

I've noticed he doesn't "fall" well. He lands awkwardly when he is hit in the air. Always seems to be a jarring landing. When he got hurt in the Redskins game, and when he aggravated it two times subsequently in later games, he just looked to have bad balance. Maybe he just needs to learn how to fall. He should put in a call to Holt, Harrison, or Bruce...

If the Lions are smart, they will trade Roy Williams. The Lions are not going anywhere this year. Roy has 1 year left on his contract, and then he is out of Detroit, unless Detroit is willing to pay well above market value for him. If they trade him, at least they will get something in return. They could probably get a 1st round draft pick for him, if a deal contract could be worked out prior to the trade. What is more valuable to the Lions, a pretty good WR who will play one more year on a team that will fail to make the playoffs, or a 1st round pick that could be a good contributer for 5 to 6 years and possibly help the Lions make the playoffs once they have a good mature QB, a mature Calvin Johnson, and an O-line?

If the Lions are smart, they will trade Roy Williams. The Lions are not going anywhere this year. Roy has 1 year left on his contract, and then he is out of Detroit, unless Detroit is willing to pay well above market value for him. If they trade him, at least they will get something in return. They could probably get a 1st round draft pick for him, if a deal contract could be worked out prior to the trade. What is more valuable to the Lions, a pretty good WR who will play one more year on a team that will fail to make the playoffs, or a 1st round pick that could be a good contributer for 5 to 6 years and possibly help the Lions make the playoffs once they have a good mature QB, a mature Calvin Johnson, and an O-line?

:wacko:

It's the day before the draft. It's time to start thinking about a Lions undefeated season again.

The Lions can't resign Roy when his contract ends, even if he wanted to stay. Roy is going to demand top dollar, he'll probably want more than Calvin Johnson already makes, which is a lot because he was the 2nd overall pick. So, if the Lions resigned Roy they would have $20 million of a $105 million cap tied up in WRs. The Lions have too many holes that need filling. If the Lions could get anywhere close to the deal the Bengals turned down for Chad Johnson, I'd jump on it.

Add Roy Williams to the Cowboys roster and they win it all again.

Dallas can't even win a playoff game and now Roy helps you win it all?

Besides.. I don't think Roy has a criminal record so they won't go after him.

And isn't it about time to change that sig line...How long can you continue to be a hater?

Dallas can't even win a playoff game and now Roy helps you win it all?

Besides.. I don't think Roy has a criminal record so they won't go after him.

And isn't it about time to change that sig line...How long can you continue to be a hater?

4 LIFEEEE!!!!!!!!!

let him keep it...he's a Dallas fan...

What would really be wrong with the Lions keeping Roy?

This year, they get Roy's services in a contract year.

After this year, and if they still don't want to give Roy a big/long term contract, they can put the non-exclusive franchise tag on him to force something a la the Allen trade. The market for a top WR will still be there.

This got me thinking... why didn't the Vikes have to give up two 1st rounders for Allen under the franchise tag rules? :wacko:

Edited by kingfish247

This got me thinking... why didn't the Vikes have to give up two 1st rounders for Allen under the franchise tag rules? :wacko:

It was a trade, same as the Corey Williams deal. If the Vikings had signed Allen to an offer sheet and the Chiefs chose not to match, they would have had to give two 1st rounders.