[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Menudo's Movie Reviews

Menudo

WIatched "Drag Me to Hell" last night. Directed by Sam Raimi (sp?). I thought it was pretty good.....about a 7 out of 10. Some scary parts and a pretty good story. Worth a Netflix.

I wholeheartedly recommend DMtH, but I think you have to go in to it of the mind that it is a high-class genre picture. If you don't like horror, you probably won't like it.

Don't take this to read that it is anything short of fantastic, because I love the crap out of this movie. But if you trend toward Meryl Streep it probably won't work for you.

• Replies 432
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yea Krakauer got his criticism, or at least generated controversy, for that also. The movie was probably done about as well as you could do based on the story; but reading the book, to me, was one of those seminal experiences that can't compare to the big screen adaptation.

Good way to put it. And at the risk of sounding like my previous post, I think the movie is really f'in good; I just think the book give a more fair picture of things.

Taken

When I saw the previews of this one, I didn't really give it a second look. It just appeared to be your typical action movie, and I couldn't really see Liam Neeson in this type of role. However, it got great reviews on IMDB and some friends told me they loved it, so, I added it to my Netflix queue. I was completely wrong about Liam Neeson, as he was great as an action star. Similar plots have been done many times in the past, so, it wasn't the most original story. That said, they pulled it off better than most. The action was great and kept moving throughout. There really weren't any slow spots in the movie. Of course, you have to suspend reality a bit. I know the guy was a well-trained man, but, there were parts that were insane. That still didn't stop me from enjoying the ride.

Taken

When I saw the previews of this one, I didn't really give it a second look. It just appeared to be your typical action movie, and I couldn't really see Liam Neeson in this type of role. However, it got great reviews on IMDB and some friends told me they loved it, so, I added it to my Netflix queue. I was completely wrong about Liam Neeson, as he was great as an action star. Similar plots have been done many times in the past, so, it wasn't the most original story. That said, they pulled it off better than most. The action was great and kept moving throughout. There really weren't any slow spots in the movie. Of course, you have to suspend reality a bit. I know the guy was a well-trained man, but, there were parts that were insane. That still didn't stop me from enjoying the ride.

Solid movie but all I thought was "24 the movie" & why does the 16 year old daughter keep running like that?

I thought of one more movie I saw recently that's worth mentioning:

State of Play starring Russell Crow, Ben Affleck, and Rachel McAdams. This was a solid political thriller. I didn't find Affleck annoying at all (which is saying something). Crowe always seems pretty good and he doesn't disappoint in this movie either. It's hard to talk about the plot without giving anything away. This movie doesn't wow you but if you like a good story with believable actors, it won't disappoint. I'd give it a 7/10.

Taken

Great movie. I was reading something about it the other day, and the guy said the most unrealistic part about the movie was a 17 year old travelling to Europe to follow U2. :wacko:

Great movie. I was reading something about it the other day, and the guy said the most unrealistic part about the movie was a 17 year old travelling to Europe to follow U2. :wacko:

i think there is an echo in here............

also, the actress that played her is about 28, and her acting was b r u t a l

i think Bourne takes him tho............

500 Days of Summer

I'm not a real big fan of romantic comedies. This isn't because I think I'm some macho man who can't enjoy a "chick flick", but, because they are often completely un-original, regurgitating the same stories over and over again. I decided to give this one a shot, because it was getting rave reviews and was up for some awards, which is rare for this genre of movies. I can definitely see why it was getting high praise, as I really enjoyed it. First off, the story wasn't your typical girl meets boy love story. However, what I really like about the movie was it's cleverness. For example, there is one scene where he is going to meet the girl he likes, and it goes to a split screen. Half the screen is showing his expectations of how things will go, and then the other half is showing the reality of the moment. It was very well done. I thought the performances by the kid from "3rd Rock from the Sun" and Zooey Deschanel were very good. Definitely an enjoyable film.

Up Next: The Hurt Locker

Edited by Menudo

The Hurt Locker

The best word to describe this movie is "intense". From the very beginning, it shows the tension of being in Iraq during the war. It is very difficult to make a movie about the Iraq war without trying to make a political statement. I think this movie did that. It is not pro-war or anti-war, but, it is more a story about the soldiers and how they all react to and handle war differently. I thought the acting was terrific. The main character didn't look familiar to me, but, I was impressed with his work. I recognized his other two team-members as the two guys who worked together in "We Are Marshall". I thought they were both very good as well. The group was a bomb diffusing team, so, there were many diffusing scenes, and the intensity of those scenes was amazing.

The ending brought the entire movie together for me. The main character realized that he was a soldier and that diffusing bombs was something he was good at, and in a strange way enjoyed. He felt that his country needed him, but, there was also a sadness there that he really couldn't enjoy a "normal" life. The contrast of his confidence, with the other two soldier's vulnerability was very interesting to see play out.

I really enjoyed this movie, and it is the best war film since "Saving Private Ryan", in my opinion.

Up Next: "The Invention of Lying"

Edited by Menudo

The Hurt Locker

The best word to describe this movie is "intense". From the very beginning, it shows the tension of being in Iraq during the war. It is very difficult to make a movie about the Iraq war without trying to make a political statement. I think this movie did that. It is not pro-war or anti-war, but, it is more a story about the soldiers and how they all react to and handle war differently. I thought the acting was terrific. The main character didn't look familiar to me, but, I was impressed with his work. I recognized his other two team-members as the two guys who worked together in "We Are Marshall". I thought they were both very good as well. The group was a bomb diffusing team, so, there were many diffusing scenes, and the intensity of those scenes was amazing.

The ending brought the entire movie together for me. The main character realized that he was a soldier and that diffusing bombs was something he was good at, and in a strange way enjoyed. He felt that his country needed him, but, there was also a sadness there that he really couldn't enjoy a "normal" life. The contrast of his confidence, with the other two soldier's vulnerability was very interesting to see play out.

I really enjoyed this movie, and it is the best war film since "Saving Private Ryan", in my opinion.

+1

This was one of the better movies that I've recently watched. :wacko::D

The Invention Of Lying

I don't think I'm spoiling anything by talking about the movies premise, as it is in the previews and taglines. In a world where no one is capable of lying, Ricky Gervais plays a guy who finds the ability to lie. The premise broke the story into two parts, and both were equally entertaining......for a while. First, seeing a world where not only can people not lie, but, they seem inclined to blurt out every thought that hits their brain was very amusing.....for a while, then it got old. Then, he finds out he is able to lie. Seeing the results of someone lying in a world where everyone believes everything anyone says, because they know it to be true was very amusing......for a while, then it gets old. The movie wasn't bad, and it did show some heart, but, as for the comedy, it just seemed like regurgitated usage of similar jokes based on the two premises. There were several fantastic cameos, and I really like Gervais. I did like the movie, but, it wasn't quite up there with Gervais' other movie, "Ghost Town", which I enjoyed a bit more.

Up Next..... "Extract"

Edited by Menudo

Up Next..... "Extract"

It isn't as sharp as Office Space or Idiocracy, but Judge's films have always rewarded the multiple viewings; curious to re-watch this and see if the trend continues.

It isn't as sharp as Office Space or Idiocracy, but Judge's films have always rewarded the multiple viewings; curious to re-watch this and see if the trend continues.

I agree. Ben Affleck was good though.

Also, I watched Into The Wild based on Menudo's review & it was very good. Definitely worth a watch.

• 1 month later...

Not sure if this was reviewed here, but just got done watching Up in the Air, and I must say... great, great movie. Not sure how Anna Kendrick didn't get nominated for Best Supporting Actress while Vera Farmiga (while she did an admirable job) did. Clooney was, as always, solid. Script was solid. Made me really miss my "traveling" days. :wacko:

But yeah, great flick. Solid 9 out of 10.

Not sure if this was reviewed here, but just got done watching Up in the Air, and I must say... great, great movie. Not sure how Anna Kendrick didn't get nominated for Best Supporting Actress while Vera Farmiga (while she did an admirable job) did. Clooney was, as always, solid. Script was solid. Made me really miss my "traveling" days. :wacko:

+1

I hated the ending even though it made sense to end it that way.

+1

I hated the ending even though it made sense to end it that way.

Absolutely. I think it would have been cheesy if it ended with

Clooney/Vermiga falling in love and being together. :wacko:

And I stand corrected: Kendrick and Vermiga were both nominated for Best Supporting Actress.

Edited by darin3

thought it was good but not earth-shattering.... 7.5-8.

thought it was good but not earth-shattering.... 7.5-8.

My wife thought about the same. I think it hit home with me a little more with the whole packing thing, the various "member" cards, getting through airport security, etc.

My wife thought about the same. I think it hit home with me a little more with the whole packing thing, the various "member" cards, getting through airport security, etc.

I am interested in seeing it because of all the traveling (pre-911) I used to do.

Up in the Air was pretty solid. Kind of thought provoking, especially to the travelers. 8.5.

Haven't any of you seen Pirate Radio yet? I'm not even a 60's-70's rock kind of guy, and even I loved the soundtrack. I'm anxiously waiting for the opinion of someone who lived through the era. I thought it would be right in this crowd's wheelhouse. I'm dying to see if some of you liked it as much as I did...but I'm much too cheap to send it to somebody. Don't worry, I'll wait.

Also saw Sherlock Holmes recently. If you like Downey, you'll like it. Very entertaining character development, a little bland on the story. 8.0.

Today I saw The Blind Side, which is the Michael Oher story. Fan-freaking-tastic! Laughed and cried and relived some great football practice memories. I don't know that I would give any movie since the Aviator a 10, so we'll go 9.8.

• 4 months later...

The Blind Side

I loved this movie, which isn't much of a surprise. I think I would fall into the target audience of an inspirational football movie. The football scenes were great, but, Sandra Bullock's performance made this movie stand out. She definitely deserved the recognition she got for it. The only real downside of the movie came at the very end. Michael Oher seemed to be such a nice kid, but, we are left to assume that he turns into a punk and a criminal. What else are we to expect when we see that he became a Baltimore Raven ? :wacko: Solid movie, entertaining throughout.