[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The Definition of Delusional

SheikYerbuti

Barr launches Libertarian White House Bid

WASHINGTON - Former Republican Rep. Bob Barr launched a Libertarian Party presidential bid Monday, saying voters are hungry for an alternative to the status quo who would dramatically cut the federal government.

His candidacy throws a wild card into the White House race that many believe could peel away votes from Republican Sen. John McCain given the candidates' similar positions on fiscal policy.

Barr, who has hired Ross Perot's former campaign manager, acknowledged that some Republicans have tried to discourage him from running. But he said he's getting in the race to win, not to play spoiler or to make a point.

This man is either lying to the press or lying to himself. One way or the other, he's not telling the truth.

His campaign finances would be better spent if he went to a tall building on a windy day and threw it off the balcony.

This man is either lying to the press or lying to himself. One way or the other, he's not telling the truth.

His campaign finances would be better spent if he went to a tall building on a windy day and threw it off the balcony.

Are you making the point that Americans have been conned or brainwashed into feeling they have to choose between the crappy candidates the two "established" parties have put forth...or that because of the imbalance of power these two parties have set up, another message from a valid third party won't be heard? If given the exposure (i.e. media coverage and national debates) I would bet the libertarian party would be right in the mix.

Are you making the point that Americans have been conned or brainwashed into feeling they have to choose between the crappy candidates the two "established" parties have put forth...or that because of the imbalance of power these two parties have set up, another message from a valid third party won't be heard? If given the exposure (i.e. media coverage and national debates) I would bet the libertarian party would be right in the mix.

+100000000000000000000

If only a third and fourth party could challenge....what a great time elections would be...instead....we have what we have.

so you think he has a chance of winning? ok, let's bet. you can name the odds and the price, but you have to put up at least a hundred.

by the way, ron paul was running on essentially a libertarian platform (more strictly libertarian than barr, from what I know of the two), and he was in all of the debates, got a lot of coverage, raised a lot of money. and what did he get, like 5% in a few states? is that how you define "right in the mix"?

Are you making the point that Americans have been conned or brainwashed into feeling they have to choose between the crappy candidates the two "established" parties have put forth...or that because of the imbalance of power these two parties have set up, another message from a valid third party won't be heard?

The latter. And its their own fault.

This kind of seems like a parade where the first 2 floats are giant, multi-colored, big budget spectacles and have all the bells and whistles with loud music and flags and tiarras. And then chugging along about a mile behind comes the third float that looks like the "Eat Me" car from Animal House.

so you think he has a chance of winning? ok, let's bet. you can name the odds and the price, but you have to put up at least a hundred.

by the way, ron paul was running on essentially a libertarian platform (more strictly libertarian than barr, from what I know of the two), and he was in all of the debates, got a lot of coverage, raised a lot of money. and what did he get, like 5% in a few states? is that how you define "right in the mix"?

Not trying to bet here. That would be like me offering you a blank check. And I know about Ron Paul...but he had a Republican title and that is more than enough to turn a lot of people off right there. Not to mention the fact that it doesn't help not getting support from a GOP that knows you aren't really with the party. I'm not here to say that the libertarian party is the answer either. I was just saying that he wasn't getting into the race to play spoiler or not to TRY and win. I think the deck is stacked against any voice that would oppose the big "two". It's like picking on your sibling, but if someone else tries to, you both turn on that person and let them have it.

The latter. And its their own fault.

This kind of seems like a parade where the first 2 floats are giant, multi-colored, big budget spectacles and have all the bells and whistles with loud music and flags and tiarras. And then chugging along about a mile behind comes the third float that looks like the "Eat Me" car from Animal House.

Agreed. :wacko:

Not trying to bet here. That would be like me offering you a blank check.

exactly, and that was sheik's point. for him to say he's "in it to win" is basically just a lie. if he genuinely thinks he has a chance of winning the race he is either stupid or delusional. bob barr is neither. he is in it specifically to "play the spoiler" and/or "make a point".

And I know about Ron Paul...but he had a Republican title and that is more than enough to turn a lot of people off right there. Not to mention the fact that it doesn't help not getting support from a GOP that knows you aren't really with the party.

regardless of labels, I'd say bob barr has a lot more ties to the republican establishment than ron paul does.

I applaud Bob Barr. :brew:

Who the hell is Bob Barr? :D

Robert L. (Bob) Barr, Jr. (born November 5, 1948) is an American attorney and former member of the United States House of Representatives.[1] Barr represented Georgia's 7th congressional district as a Republican from 1995 to 2003.[1][2] He achieved significant notoriety as one of the leaders of the impeachment of President Bill Clinton.[1]

Oh goody. So he's always put America first over stupid partisan crap. :wacko: What an ideal third party candidate. :D

More excerpts:

...he was described as "the idol of the gun-toting, abortion-fighting, IRS-hating hard right wing of American politics". Barr was a strong supporter of the War on Drugs...

This is libertarian?

What the heck:

Barr advocated complete federal prohibition of medical Josh Gordon. In 1998, He successfully blocked implementation of Initiative 59 -- the "Legalization of Josh Gordon for Medical Treatment Initiative of 1998" -- which would have legalized medical Josh Gordon in the District of Columbia.[19] The "Barr Amendment" to the 1999 Omnibus spending bill not only blocked implementation of Initiative 59 but prohibited the vote tally from even being released.[19][20] Nearly a year passed before a lawsuit filed by the ACLU eventually revealed the initiative had received 69% of the vote.[21] In response to the judge's ruling, Barr simply attached an amendment to the 2000 Omnibus spending bill that overturned Intiative 59 outright.

Dude, this guy is a dick, not a libertarian. Doesn't "libertarian" usually indicate that you aren't for establishing new government programs to fight Josh Gordon use? Doesn't it mean that you aren't passing laws restricting marriage? Doesn't it mean letting the free market decide about things, not covering up the fact that the free market decided something you didn't like?

If this guy is a libertarian, I'm a Solid Gold Dancer. What this guy is, is the classic definition of "republican".

Edited by AtomicCEO

I applaud Bob Barr. :brew:

Who the hell is Bob Barr? :D

Oh goody. So he's always put America first over stupid partisan crap. :wacko: What an ideal third party candidate. :D

More excerpts:

This is libertarian?

What the heck:

Dude, this guy is a dick, not a libertarian. Doesn't "libertarian" usually indicate that you aren't for establishing new government programs to fight Josh Gordon use? Doesn't it mean that you aren't passing laws restricting marriage? Doesn't it mean letting the free market decide about things, not covering up the fact that the free market decided something you didn't like?

If this guy is a libertarian, I'm a Solid Gold Dancer. What this guy is, is the classic definition of "republican".

You're right, Atomic. Bob Barr is a former congressman from GA who was an old-school, Reagan republican. He'd have to go a long way to assure me he's seen the error of his ways and to earn my vote.

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe he could get Pacman Jones to be his financial advisor. He knows how to make it rain.

America is brainwashed...we have let DemoNkRaps destroy us from the inside out. The Republican have lost their grip on their own platform. Eventhough the Libertarians have no shot...America needs a change "politically" but not the change the Anti-Christ Obama would bring.

The difference is Ron Paul will win. If only the sheeple in this country knew what was good for them...and it ain't Obama/McCain.

Good info here...

Ron Paul couldn't when with just yer and my vote...oh I guess Spain would vote for him too. So that makes 3 votes...not enough.

Edited by SuperBalla

Ron Paul couldn't when with just yer and my vote...oh I guess Spain would vote for him too. So that makes 3 votes...not enough.

:wacko: rbmcdonald has been campaigning for him.

America is brainwashed...we have let DemoNkRaps destroy us from the inside out.

You're nothing but an idiot parrot. Once more for your amoebic brain - your Republicans had TOTAL CONTROL of everything for six years from early 2001 through early 2007 yet still you complain about "Demonkraps".

Truly you are the primary definition of a Limbaugh moran.

You're nothing but an idiot parrot. Once more for your amoebic brain - your Republicans had TOTAL CONTROL of everything for six years from early 2001 through early 2007 yet still you complain about "Demonkraps".

Wow thanks Ursa. I can't wait to see all of the exciting things you Hyenas have in store for us if Obama wins. I am sure life will be great while we all go broke paying for this Change, that most Americans don't think we need. You sir are a political genius. I am merely a shadow in yer greatness. Why am I an idiot because I think liberals screw America? You demOnKraps make me laugh. Infact...I spit Dr. Pepper on my keyboard when I read yer krap just now.

If given the exposure (i.e. media coverage and national debates) I would bet the libertarian party would be right in the mix.

See, that's the problem.... The most viable ones we ever had fell apart once the media gave them exposure Perot/Stockdale, John Anderson, Ron Paul, All these guys sounded good, until the weird poopy they believed it started leaking out.

If we ever get a sane one, I think they would have a chance

Wow thanks Ursa. I can't wait to see all of the exciting things you Hyenas have in store for us if Obama wins. I am sure life will be great while we all go broke paying for this Change, that most Americans don't think we need. You sir are a political genius. I am merely a shadow in yer greatness. Why am I an idiot because I think liberals screw America? You demOnKraps make me laugh. Infact...I spit Dr. Pepper on my keyboard when I read yer krap just now.

I don't mean to instigate some kind of a pissing match here... but Balla, I'm not sure you refuted the point that Ursa made, and in fact... seemed to further reinforce his point by not using any logical thought process whatsoever to address his post, opting instead for Limbaugh-style name-calling.

What do you have to say about the fact that the people you elected who had complete control for 6 straight years and yet never accomplished a single goal other than a tax cut... which unfortunately when coupled with increased spending will need to be reversed to prevent the reckless collapse of the nation. How are the democrats to blame for the problems caused by the republicans?

IWhat do you have to say about the fact that the people you elected who had complete control for 6 straight years and yet never accomplished a single goal other than a tax cut... which unfortunately when coupled with increased spending will need to be reversed to prevent the reckless collapse of the nation. How are the democrats to blame for the problems caused by the republicans?

They are not to blame ...Bush and friends set our country back 25 years and they are to blame ..to think otherwise shows a total lack of knowledge or a head stuck in 4 feet of sand ...worst administration ever imho ...makes me sick