[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Best bass guitar line of all time?

cre8tiff

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. YYZ - Geddy Lee (Rush)

2. The Real Me - John Entwistle (The Who)

3. The Lemon Song - John Paul Jones (Led Zeppelin)

4. Anesthesia (Pulling Teeth) - Cliff Lee Burton (Metallica)

5. Tommy The Cat - Les Claypool (Primus)

6. Apostrophe - Jack Bruce (Frank Zappa)

7. Sound Chaser - Chris Squire (Yes)

8. Metropolis Pt. I - John Myung (Dream Theater)

9. Jam - Larry Graham (Graham Central Station)

10. Karn Evil 9 - Greg Lake (ELP)

11. NIB - Geezer Butler (Black Sabbath)

12. Thela Hun Ginjeet - Tony Levin (King Crimson)

13. My Generation - John Entwistle (The Who)

14. Dance Of Eternity - John Myung (Dream Theater)

15. Coffee Shop - Flea (Red Hot Chili Peppers)

16. Roundabout - Chris Squire (Yes)

17. Sing A Simple Song - Larry Graham (Sly & The Family Stone)

18. Pictures Of Home - Roger Glover (Deep Purple)

19. Heart Of The Sunrise - Chris Squire (Yes)

20. I Want You (She's So Heavy) - Paul McCartney (The Beatles)

21. Bernadette - James Jamerson (Four Tops)

22. Orion - Cliff Lee Burton (Metallica)

23. Something - Paul McCartney (The Beatles)

24. Awakening - Les Claypool (Holy Mackarel)

25. Hair - Larry Graham (Graham Central Station)

26. Tempus Fugit - Chris Squire (Yes)

27. Bouree - Glenn Cornick (Jethro Tull)

28. One Nation Under A Groove - Bootsy Collins (Funkadelic)

29. The Fish - Chris Squire (Yes)

30. Long Distance Runaround - Chris Squire (Yes)

31. Thank You Falettinme Be Mice Elf Agin - Larry Graham (Sly & The Family Stone)

32. Aeroplane - Flea (Red Hot Chili Peppers)

33. Ytse Jam - John Myung (Dream Theater)

34. Won't Get Fooled Again - John Entwistle (The Who)

35. Money - Roger Waters (Pink Floyd)

36. 21st Century Schizoid Man - Greg Lake (King Crimson)

37. La Villa Strangiato - Geddy Lee (Rush)

38. Higher Ground - Flea (Red Hot Chili Peppers)

39. 46 and 2 - Justin Chancellor (Tool)

40. Dock Of The Bay - Duck Dunn (Otis Redding)

41. White Room - Jack Bruce (Cream)

42. Sweet Child O Mine - Duff McKagan (Guns N Roses)

43. Rime Of The Ancient Marriner - Steve Harris (Iron Maiden)

44. Good Times Bad Times - John Paul Jones (Led Zeppelin)

45. Mr. Big - Andy Fraser (Free)

46. Pigs - (Three Different Ones) - David Gilmour (Pink Floyd)

47. Ramble On - John Paul Jones (Led Zeppelin)

48. Under My Thumb - Bill Wyman (The Rolling Stones)

49. Day Tripper - Paul McCartney (Beatles)

50. Cosmic Highway - Les Claypool (Frog Brigade)

• 5 weeks later...

Did this thing get 4 pages long without any love for Taxman by the Beatles?

Obviously Claypool deserves some love but that depends on what you think the bass should do.

For my money, John Paul Jones' galloping bass lines were amazing. Immigrant Song is a perfect example.

As far as judging the best rock bass line (popular) - I'd have to roll with the funky groove line in the middle of Led Zeppelin's 'Lemon Song' - it kicks in right around the 2:55 mark.

As far as theeee best bass line I've ever heard (judging technical and overall groove/feel) - there is only one: The song is called Voices Inside (everything is everything) and the bass player is Willie Weeks - Link to entire song. The bass solo kicks in around the 8:10 mark and lasts nearly 4 minutes. I recommend listening to the entire song but if you're impatient skip to 8:10. The whole album is worth the purchase, every song is fantastic.

E2A: This album truly is amazing, great renditions of Lennon's 'Jealous Guy' and Marvin Gaye's 'What's Goin On'.

I can't believe no one has listened to this yet - you're really missing out.

Edited by Brentastic

Just a quick F U to whomp for getting the Barney Miller theme song stuck in my head all day... Thanks a lot homie... :wacko:

:D You should be thanking me . Its one of the greatest songs of all time

• 4 months later...
Ya, the bassline makes the song. I'm not big on anything they've put out since Aenima. I think the original Perfect Circle was Maynards last good effort. Trust me, I was waiting at the Tower Records on the Tuesday at Midnight when "Lateralis" came out and was VERY dissapointed. Never even bought 10,000 Days.

I think Lateralus is better than Aenima. Aenima may have a few better individual songs, but in terms of the feel of the CD from start to finish, I think it's more cohesive. What they did with Lateralus (the song) as it relates to the Fibonacci sequence is mind blowing, IMO.

Either way, Tool is probably my favorite band so I can't say one CD stands well above any other. I liked 10,000 Days, too - it was the first time I had the opportunity to see them tour and I was not disappointed. They really stunned a lot of hippies at Bonnaroo, and it was sweet because Tom Morello came out for Lateralus.

I think Lateralus is better than Aenima. Aenima may have a few better individual songs, but in terms of the feel of the CD from start to finish, I think it's more cohesive. What they did with Lateralus (the song) as it relates to the Fibonacci sequence is mind blowing, IMO.

Pops and buzzes. :wacko:

12. Thela Hun Ginjeet - Tony Levin (King Crimson)

My god is Levin off the chain on that album (Discipline).

15. Coffee Shop - Flea (Red Hot Chili Peppers)

32. Aeroplane - Flea (Red Hot Chili Peppers)

Kinda a shame that Flea did some of his best work on easily the Peppers' worst album. No Hillel, no John, no RHCP.

Again - just hoping at least one of you momos will listen and reply. This is from a previous post of mine:

As far as theeee best bass line I've ever heard (judging technical and overall groove/feel) - there is only one: The song is called Voices Inside (everything is everything) and the bass player is Willie Weeks - Link to entire song. The bass solo kicks in around the 8:10 mark and lasts nearly 4 minutes. I recommend listening to the entire song but if you're impatient skip to 8:10. The whole album is worth the purchase, every song is fantastic.

This album truly is amazing, great renditions of Lennon's 'Jealous Guy' and Marvin Gaye's 'What's Goin On'.

I can't believe no one has listened to this yet - you're really missing out.

Wasn't Tony Levin in Yes for a little while in the 80s or early 90s?

Ain't you heard of wikipedia?

A prolific session musician since the 1970s, Levin has played on hundreds of albums, including those of John Lennon, Lou Reed, Alice Cooper, Pink Floyd, Yes and Seal, Sarah McLachlan, The Roches, Todd Rundgren, and Cher. Additionally, he has toured with artists including Paul Simon (with whom Tony appeared in Simon's 1980 film "One Trick Pony"), Gary Burton, James Taylor, Herbie Mann, Goro Noguchi, Judy Collins, Joe Yamanaka, Carly Simon, Peter Frampton, Anderson Bruford Wakeman Howe, Tim Finn, Richie Sambora, and Claudio Baglioni.

• 5 weeks later...

My favorite bassist is Tony Levin, who's best know as the bassist of King Crimson but played with dozens of well known artists like Peter Gabriel, Pink Floyd, Yes, Lou Reed, Alice Cooper, Paul Simon, Peter Frampton...lots more.

One of the best songs featuring him on bass is "Sleepless" by King Crimson - a must listen if you like bass.

Sleepless

Edited by Vet