[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

new PC for home use

Azazello1313

I knew this would happen. see how the topic says "new PC for home use"? that means I've pretty much narrowed it down to a PC. mostly I will be dicking around with this machine but I DO have some real software I will occasionally run on it, so a mac isn't really an option.

anyway, went ahead and ordered a dell with xp pro tonight. just didn't want to take the chance that some programs might not work right on vista. very nice price, I was pleasantly surprised at the kind of computer you can get for 700 clams these days.

Specs?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

mostly I will be dicking around with this machine but I DO have some real software I will occasionally run on it, so a mac isn't really an option.

Yes, because Macs are machines that surely aren't capable of running real software.

It's not like you can put Windows on a Mac or anything, and have it outperform a PC...

:wacko:

No disrespect intended Az, but wrong.

I work at a university computer store (selling Macs, Dells, Sonys and HPs) and deal with professors and researchers on a daily basis. While we get a decent variety of custom built machines ordered for all of the staff and faculty's needs, the ones that are running this real software you talk about, programs such as Mathcad, Solidworks, and medical softwares that costs around 10k a license - all go with the Mac Pro.

We constantly have engineers and doctors from our medcenter coming in and ordering top of the line MacPros to run their research facilities and departments.

Sure, those of you that work white collar jobs in cubicles all day might look dorky with a white Macbook sitting on your desk.

Sure, most of you still feel that Macs are for hippys and extroverted artists.

But in the real world of research, development and medical breakthroughs - Macs are just as capable if not more so than any PC on the market.

They can even run real software :D

I'm starting to think there are subliminal mind control messages embedded in apple technology. you people sound like scientologists.

It has nothing to do with Apple or their marketing. The Tailgate is a place where Huddlers have the opportunity to voice their opinions and give advice to one another.

We're not asking you to admit you are wrong, and see things like us - like political arguments tend to do.

Ton, Caveman and I pitching Apple in this thread is simply us giving our opinion on alternatives to dealing with often times unreliable PCs that are just as successful, and in some cases more user friendly.

I had no intentions of preaching Mac in this thread. I was however going to set the facts straight about them.

I was simply going to tell you to go with XP. In spite of Microsoft announcing they will stop security updates and support in 2010, it is the more sound OS, and Vista will soon be replaced in 2010 as well.

I've spent a lot of time using Vista, and while it isn't the worst operating system in the world (Windows NT & ME) it definitely isn't worth the hassle if you can avoid it.

Good luck with your Dell, and if you want lots of tips and (free) applications that will keep it running smooth for a long time, shoot me a PM.

Edited by kpholmes

I'm starting to think there are subliminal mind control messages embedded in apple technology. you people sound like scientologists.

It's better machinery and can run Apple or windows operating systems. Read reviews or go look at the machines.

But there are apple geeks that are more like Trekkies than Scientologists. I'm not one of them. I like them because there are very well designed but check them out yourself. If you dare. :wacko:

I have been using Macs and PCs for 15 years. I went so far as to get an MCSE 7 years ago, so it's not like I am a complete stranger to PCs just repeating Apple rhetoric.

I have a very nice IBM laptop that work bought for me to use a few years back. The truth is that I never even turn it on anymore because I can do everything I need to do on my Macbook. If for some reason I need to run something in Windows, I do it through the Parallels desktop VMware application.

All I said is that you should give it a shot. Don't make up your mind before sitting down and using one for a little while. It's worth a look. Maybe it's not for everyone, but I can tell you that I spend so much less time screwing around with updates and virus checks and other crap than I do when I turn on the PC. I get to do what I turned the computer on to do without al of those things annoying me for time and priority.

Ton, Caveman and I pitching Apple in this thread is simply us giving our opinion on alternatives to dealing with often times unreliable PCs that are just as successful, and in some cases more user friendly.

Heck, I'm not even pitching it. I just know form my own extensive experience that my Macbook is several factors less annoying than my Thinkpad (and of all the PC laptops I have used I far and away prefer the Thinkpad).

The only reason I post at all is just to encourage people to try something that they might not be inclined to try. If someone has to have a Windows machine for some reason, then that's what they need. Often times people make that decision because it's the default decision, and that's what MS has depended on for years and why they continue to put out a product with so many problems. If they had to work for their customers you would see a much better effort out of Redmond.

Az, XP will not be officially supported by Microsoft beginning in early 2009. Since you probably plan to have this thing for 3+ years (despite kpholmes' claims :wacko: ), you may end up buying Vista anyway. Vista, for general home-use its probably OK from what I hear, but the business crowd I know hates it (can't run old software is the main reason). Its a tough call. For my next gaming PC I expect to buy late this year, I'm going Vista Ultimate. Supposedly, it is the most stable and least annoying of all versions. But I don't feel all warm and fuzzy about it. Definately need 2 GB RAM min if you do go Vista, and 3-4 wouldn't be a bad idea either.

Edited by The Irish Doggy

Az, XP will not be officially supported by Microsoft beginning in early 2009. Since you probably plan to have this thing for 3+ years (despite kpholmes' claims :wacko: ), you may end up buying Vista anyway. Vista, for general home-use its probably OK from what I hear, but the business crowd I know hates it (can't run old software is the main reason). Its a tough call. For my next gaming PC I expect to buy late this year, I'm going Vista Ultimate. Supposedly, it is the most stable and least annoying of all versions. But I don't feel all warm and fuzzy about it. Definately need 2 GB RAM min if you do go Vista, and 3-4 wouldn't be a bad idea either.

Who asks for support on operating systems anyway? The companies making the peripherals will continue supplying updates as they do for ME and earlier OS's.

I've had too many issues with Vista. Maybe with their next OS.

First let me state that I am by no means a computer geek. I know how to turn one on and surf pron and the huddle. Besides, that I can use a few business specific programs, and Office. That is the limit of my computer knowledge. Our company is looking for a new network manager, and are probably going to outsource it. We were interviewing one firm earlier this week, and I mentioned I needed a new lap-top as mine is running slow, runs hot, and has killed three batteries in the last year. I mentioned my concerns regarding Vista. They told me that Microsoft sent out a service patch for Vista about 3 months ago that took care of most of the problems people were having. They said before the service patch Vista was trash, but that now it is operating well, and based on that and XP going the way of the dodo bird, they would recommend that I get Vista.

Who asks for support on operating systems anyway? The companies making the peripherals will continue supplying updates as they do for ME and earlier OS's.

I've had too many issues with Vista. Maybe with their next OS.

Good point. Just because MS doesn't "support" XP doesn't mean you can't use it.

Am I the only one who thinks that if MS stops creating security patches for XP and the only option is Vista, that Linux and Apple are going to eat into their numbers even more... especially in businesses worried about secure networks?

Specs?

Dell Inspiron 530 - Intel® Core 2 Duo Processor E4600 (2MB L2 Cache,2.4GHz,800 FSB), Genuine Windows® XP Professional

2GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz- 2DIMMs

Integrated Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3100

250GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/DataBurst Cache

Dell 19 in 1 Media Card Reader

Genuine Windows® XP Professional

16x DVD+/-RW Drive

Integrated 10/100 Ethernet

Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio

Microsoft® Office Home and Student 2007

Subtotal: $698.00

was gonna be $550 without software (office).

so how much would I have to pay, software included, for a mac that could run windows applications equal to a PC at those specs?

I knew this would happen. see how the topic says "new PC for home use"? that means I've pretty much narrowed it down to a PC. mostly I will be dicking around with this machine but I DO have some real software I will occasionally run on it, so a mac isn't really an option.

anyway, went ahead and ordered a dell with xp pro tonight. just didn't want to take the chance that some programs might not work right on vista. very nice price, I was pleasantly surprised at the kind of computer you can get for 700 clams these days.

I think you made the right choice. I would wait for at least SP1 before going with Vista.

A big difference between PCs and MAC is that Mac is ever moving forward. Once they go to something new, good luck getting backward support (A direct quote from a Mac rep). DHS - ICE does maybe only one or two things right, one of them computer forensics. Our agents are being transitioned/supplied with Mac computers at present, moving away from the PC. The reason for this is that the XP platform can now be run on the newer Mac machines.

Money is a big consideration. That 700 clam system for a PC is gonna cost you at least double that in a Mac for equivalent specs.

Is the Mac a better machine? I think so! Is it worth the difference for a home user on a budget? IMO Nope! I have a Dell Inspiron laptop that is well into its third year of solid and relible service. The battery needs to be replaced, but for my home use needs, I don't see replacing it for a while. If you need a fancypants burner or other toy, just buy a USB unit as an add on.

Dell Inspiron 530 - Intel® Core 2 Duo Processor E4600 (2MB L2 Cache,2.4GHz,800 FSB), Genuine Windows® XP Professional

2GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz- 2DIMMs

Integrated Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3100

250GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/DataBurst Cache

Dell 19 in 1 Media Card Reader

Genuine Windows® XP Professional

16x DVD+/-RW Drive

Integrated 10/100 Ethernet

Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio

Microsoft® Office Home and Student 2007

Subtotal: $698.00

was gonna be $550 without software (office).

so how much would I have to pay, software included, for a mac that could run windows applications equal to a PC at those specs?

You can get by w/o XP PRO, unless your in need of the multi-user set-up. Also, did you check their business systems? They are usually cheaper, but even if the same price, they don't load it up w/ crapware! At least that was the case when I bought my Vostro.

Edited by rocknrobn26

looks like I could get a mac mini, totally unexpandable, with a slower processor (2.0Ghz vs 2.4), same memory, 100GB smaller hard drive -- for $1047. basically twice the price (leaving any office software off of both). and that's before emulators or a second OS. are you freaking kidding me? what a joke.

Right now XP is better than Vista, but when new SPs are released this will go away

Prove it.

I don't know how many times I've heard the "buy it now, they'll fix it in a patch" argument in the software world, and it ended up being BS.

Only buy what you are buying. Never buy vague promises of future functionality, ISMHO.

Edited by AtomicCEO

Macs cost more than PCs because you're buying a quality product with excellent customer and technical support.

The average PC lasts a little over a year while Macs last three to four years.

You are so lucky I have turned over a new leaf. :wacko:

The amount of ignorance in your post makes kittens cry mustard.

I'm simply saying that arguing they can't run graphics intensive software as good as PCs is a silly argument.

Before you go and try to sound real smart again :wacko:, you might want to learn yourself that macs are now simply PC's inside. Same RAM, harddrives, CPU's.

But what do I know.

the diff. was only 20 bucks, so I figured may as well get pro.

Unless it was a special deal, they usually charge $99 for the pro upgrade.

You did the right thing getting XP though, Vista still has many issues not worth dealing with, and Vista II is in the works and will be released next year.

Also, although they will 'officially' quit selling XP on dell machines, you can order the downgrade for the indefinite future, same as now, just different lingo.

There are many, many business applications that will not work in a vista environment. There are still boxes out there running NT4 and win2k for this very reason. I am sorry the student appleboy who once had a teacher, GASP, a teacher tell her how awesome thier pink little computer with PC parts running an OS with animal names was the bomb.

XP is on millions, and millions of computers, they are not going to stop supporting it anytime soon.

Microsoft is adding 'Extended Support' for two consumer editions of Windows XP: Home and Media Center.

The change will provide an additional five years of support for users of the OS who will not be upgrading any time soon, up to 2016, and it matches the support policy already provided for Windows XP Professional.

Oh gee, did I bischslap you too hard? :wacko:

(Azazello1313 @ 6/5/08 11:59pm)

I'm starting to think there are subliminal mind control messages embedded in apple technology. you people sound like scientologists

join us.

I hate it when people get so fanatic about some device or object.

Unless it was a special deal, they usually charge $99 for the pro upgrade. That was my experience 3 months ago.

You did the right thing getting XP though, Vista still has many issues not worth dealing with, and Vista II is in the works and will be released next year.

Also, although they will 'officially' quit selling XP on dell machines, you can order the downgrade for the indefinite future, same as now, just different lingo.

There are many, many business applications that will not work in a vista environment. There are still boxes out there running NT4 and win2k for this very reason. I am sorry the student appleboy who once had a teacher, GASP, a teacher tell her how awesome thier pink little computer with PC parts running an OS with animal names was the bomb.

XP is on millions, and millions of computers, they are not going to stop supporting it anytime soon.

Oh gee, did I bischslap you too hard? :D

:wacko: Glad you're back, but WT* took you so long to Josh Gordon thru the BS in this thread and post? For a while here I felt like the one-legged man in the butt kicking contest! The world has now gone back to an even axis, H8 has issued his opinions, and all is fine w/ the world! :D