[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

10 most mobile QBs ever per NFL.com

BeeR

lol @ Marino. Yeah he had great pocket awareness and could do a little sidestep, and of course there's the release...but we aren't talking about best pocket awareness or release. Him on this list is more than a little stupid. What's next, top 10 strongest RBs ever includes Marshall Faulk?

Somtimes I think guys like Sabol say stuff like this just to see how far they can go in getting people to agree to something ridiculous.

http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story;jsessi...mp;confirm=true

My question is who do you replace Marino with? Kelly and Elway come to mind offhand as the most likely.

Edited by BeeR

Tobin Rote had about 300 fewer yds and 4 more tds than Elway in 85 fewer games, plus averaged a half-yard more per carry. Plus he led the league in passing tds twice and yds once.

Kelly, no, not really. Better than Marino but that's about it.

Somtimes I think guys like Sabol say stuff like this just to see how far they can go in getting people to agree to something ridiculous.

I think Sabol likes to get people talking and discussing players. Especially old timers. Who else was on the list?

Tobin Rote's certainly an old timer I haven't seen brought up lately. Thanks

lol @ Marino. Yeah he had great pocket awareness and could do a little sidestep, and of course there's the release...but we aren't talking about best pocket awareness or release. Him on this list is more than a little stupid. What's next, top 10 strongest RBs ever includes Marshall Faulk?

http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story;jsessi...mp;confirm=true

My question is who do you replace Marino with? Kelly and Elway come to mind offhand as the most likely.

:wacko:

I like the people's choice on their poll.

Who do you think was the most mobile quarterback in NFL history?

Randall Cunningham 15%

Bobby Douglass 1%

Doug Flutie 2%

Dan Marino 3%

Donovan McNabb 4%

Roger Staubach 3%

Fran Tarkenton 10%

Michael Vick 52%

Steve Young 10%

Jim Zorn 1%

Total Votes: 9813

Tobin Rote's certainly an old timer I haven't seen brought up lately. Thanks

Just don't get me started on the sadly-forgotten Clarke Hinkle.

Who do you think was the most mobile quarterback in NFL history?

Randall Cunningham 15%

Bobby Douglass 1%

Doug Flutie 2%

Dan Marino 3%

Donovan McNabb 4%

Roger Staubach 3%

Fran Tarkenton 10%

Michael Vick 52%

Steve Young 10%

Jim Zorn 1%

What do you expect when half the people who take time to answer these things are in middle-school

Marino was certainly no track star, but the poll is for "most mobile QB" - not "best running QB".

Anyone who watched Marino a great deal realized one thing pretty quick - he was almost impossible to sack. Yes, he had a decent OL that could pass protect, but more importantly, he knew how to get out of trouble with a quick step left or right, or a move up the middle to buy another second or two. That's mobility. And coupled with quickest release anyone has ever seen, the guy was sacked a paltry number of times given the pass attempts he racked up.

Marino was certainly no track star, but the poll is for "most mobile QB" - not "best running QB".

Anyone who watched Marino a great deal realized one thing pretty quick - he was almost impossible to sack. Yes, he had a decent OL that could pass protect, but more importantly, he knew how to get out of trouble with a quick step left or right, or a move up the middle to buy another second or two. That's mobility. And coupled with quickest release anyone has ever seen, the guy was sacked a paltry number of times given the pass attempts he racked up.

Still, what makes Marino particularly better than Peyton Manning, who has a similar career sack % (Manning is at 3.41 vs Marino's 3.13) and shows an ability to actually RUN. Marino only ran for positive yds in 4 of his seasons. That, to me, doesn't scream "mobile."

The difficulty in sacking Marino had as much to do with his right arm as his legs.

I'd say it's not his arm, but his feet. I don't think he ever studied Aikido, but he's got subtle martial artist foot work.

Which isn't to be underrated, but "pocket sense" is not to be confused with "mobility", IMO.

And oddly enough, a scroll down to the nether regions of this list is going to start showing some names familiar to the compilers of the "mobile" list - Bobby Douglass and Randall Cunningham have sack % in the double digits, right there with "The Human Yardage Loss" David Carr, and Mike Vick isn't far behind at 9.75%. Staubach is there too at 9.57%, below statues like Phil Simms, Lynn Dickey, Ken O'Brien, and Steve Beuerlein.

I completely agree, hence my 'joke'. He looked so uncomfortable when he scrambled and he pretty much never took more than four steps from snap after he tore his achilles.

That was a joke? :wacko:

Nah, really, I think the ability to slide away from pressure in the pocket IS subtle, and often not appreciated by people looking for a QB to make Barry Sanders-type highlight runs.

But it isn't a PHYSICAL trait, which I regard mobility to be.

Edited by Chavez

I can't open the link (on the train and it keeps timing out) but am curious to see if Archie Manning's name is there. Don't remember him playing but I did think of him when I saw the topic. He did rush for 2,200 yards and score 18 TD's.

Edited by The Wolf

I can't open the link (on the train and it keeps timing out) but am curious to see if Archie Manning's name is there. Don't remember him playing but I did think of him when I saw the topic. He did rush for 2,200 yards and score 18 TD's.

Nope.

Tobin Rote had about 300 fewer yds and 4 more tds than Elway in 85 fewer games, plus averaged a half-yard more per carry. Plus he led the league in passing tds twice and yds once.

Good call.

Yes, he had a decent OL
"Decent?" He had an excellent OL.

he knew how to get out of trouble with a quick step left or right, or a move up the middle to buy another second or two. That's mobility.
That's part of it.

And coupled with quickest release anyone has ever seen, the guy was sacked a paltry number of times given the pass attempts he racked up.
Yeah. However, again, the topic isn't "best OL" or "best pocket presence" or "quickest release" or even "best able to avoid a sack."

The words Marino and mobile should never ever be used in the same sentence. How Vince Young didn't make that list is beyond me as well. Kind of a dumb topic. There are a dozen backup QBs in the NFL currently that are more mobile than half the guys on the list.

The words Marino and mobile should never ever be used in the same sentence. How Vince Young didn't make that list is beyond me as well. Kind of a dumb topic. There are a dozen backup QBs in the NFL currently that are more mobile than half the guys on the list.

Because he's only in his 2nd year?

Who do you think was the most anally raped quarterback in NFL history?

Randall Cunningham 0%

Bobby Douglass 3%

Doug Flutie 2%

Dan Marino 0%

Donovan McNabb 0%

Roger Staubach 0%

Fran Tarkenton 0%

Michael Vick 94%

Steve Young 0%

Jim Zorn 1%

Fixed

Because he's only in his 2nd year?

Young has shown way more mobility in his short time in the NFL than Marino did in his entire career. That Marino is even being remotely considered by anyone voting shows an utter lack of football acumen, which in turn raises questions as to the rest of the results.