[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Rising Fuel Prices

Savage Beatings

The Government should pull out of Iraq immediately and leave that craphole a hugh smoking crater instead. Take the money we're spending there and make it a national priority to invest it in alternative energy like we were going to the moon in the 60s. Once we get rid of the neccessity for oil, these terrorist nations like Saudi Arabia and Iran will go back to the camel herders they were instead of being able to afford nuclear power thanks to us filling up our tank every week. I can guarantee you we could come up with a viable alternative source in less than a decade. It's BS that our Government is full of crooks and liars that are in Big Oil's pockets.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am spending $5 a day right now just to go to and from work in my van. I know its not a huge amount but I already started making chances in my driving habits. I try not to make unnecessary trips to the stores but try to go on my way home from work. I try to use my wife's Nissan when possible to save a few $ if I do go somewhere. I am considering brown bagging lunch to offset the rising gas prices. If the cost continue to go up I will look into geting a small car and just use my van for my plumbing / handyman work and take the car back and forth to my "real" job. I have considered biking to work but I cannot hide a bike through the tunnel. I would have to catch a ferry and that would be about $1.50 a day. I also thought about some type of scooter / motorcycle but I am not sure I want to do that.

Last year I was seriously thinking about moving out into the country. It would have been a 70 minute ride to work. I am not sure what the milage is but I figure I would be crying the blues right now if I had made the move.

The Government should pull out of Iraq immediately and leave that craphole a hugh smoking crater instead. Take the money we're spending there and make it a national priority to invest it in alternative energy like we were going to the moon in the 60s. Once we get rid of the neccessity for oil, these terrorist nations like Saudi Arabia and Iran will go back to the camel herders they were instead of being able to afford nuclear power thanks to us filling up our tank every week. I can guarantee you we could come up with a viable alternative source in less than a decade. It's BS that our Government is full of crooks and liars that are in Big Oil's pockets.

:wacko: Sarcasm?

:wacko: Sarcasm?

Sarcasm would've been...We should vote Obama since, in addition to his soft silky voice, his teet has an endless supply of black gold. Hook up a breast pump to him and get on board the man train.

Three main reasons IMO:

1) The value of the US dollar is in the hole.

2) Demand continues to increase worldwide --> there is an increasing middle class in both India and China. Guess what, 2.5 Billion people all want cars, fancy electronics, and the good life just like us!

3) Lack of competitive alternatives (green or not) in the marketplace.

What am I going to do about it? I plan to buy a scooter sometime in the next year or so as work is only about 5 miles away. Yes, technically, I could bike it, but the roads I have to use are way too busy and don't have bike lanes. 90 mpg vs. 25 mpg in my Accord.

Edited by The Irish Doggy

Sarcasm would've been...We should vote Obama since, in addition to his soft silky voice, his teet has an endless supply of black gold. Hook up a breast pump to him and get on board the man train.

Now you're FINALLY talkin some sense! :wacko:

:wacko:

I HATE gov't intervention, but if we did it like this it could work.

ETA - I also like the thought of leaving the islamofacist broke - strangling their funds.

Edited by westvirginia

What am I going to do about it? I plan to buy a scooter sometime in the next year or so as work is only about 5 miles away. Yes, technically, I could bike it, but the roads I have to use are way too busy and don't have bike lanes. 90 mpg vs. 25 mpg in my Accord.

Ive thought this exact same thing. I work 6 miles away, and figure it might be best for me to just get a scooter for the 100 or so miles a week I drive back and forth (I go home for lunch to let the dogs out).

Bottom line - Drive less, or get a more fuel economical vehicle. Heck, I might try to bike on Fridays, but the problem with that is it rains every day in the afternoon here during the summer.

I have a fix for that I am a fat arse but I still ride my bike (yes I said bike not motorcycle) to work My bike round trip from Costa Mesa to Anaslime is 30 miles. I ride about once or twice a week to work. The fun thing is in the evening when I come home racing the Mormons :wacko:

make it a national priority to invest it in alternative energy like we were going to the moon in the 60s. Once we get rid of the neccessity for oil, these terrorist nations like Saudi Arabia and Iran will go back to the camel herders they were instead of being able to afford nuclear power thanks to us filling up our tank every week. I can guarantee you we could come up with a viable alternative source in less than a decade.

this sounds somewhat familiar

http://forums.thehuddle.com/index.php?s=&a...ost&p=53246

http://forums.thehuddle.com/index.php?show...amp;#entry53256

http://forums.thehuddle.com/index.php?s=&a...st&p=916521

http://forums.thehuddle.com/index.php?show...p;#entry1976021

http://forums.thehuddle.com/index.php?s=&a...t&p=1316344

Here's a follow up question/s...

If indeed we were able to take a butt-load of money and invest it in R&D on alternative fuels or energy sources, do you think that our politicians would allow those alternatives to really and truly come to market, or would they block potential advances in the interest of protecting the existing infrastructure, industries, and investors in our current systems (whether they are bound to fail or not)?

It just seems to me that our energy policies are made stricly based upon politics, and not upon what is best for the nation. See Ethanol.

Is the timing right, or will special interest groups (with all of that tempting money and power) continue to rule Washington? Let me reitirate, this is NOT a political thread! :wacko:

Not to be a wet blanket... but those little two-stroke scooters generate 17X more pollution than a car. It's why people in Saigon wear masks all the time... the smog is unbelievable.

I think Honda might make scooters with cleaner engines, but they may cost more.

You'd think with gas prices topping $4 and consumers crying uncle, Congress would be moving fast to spur development of a domestic oil resource so vast - 800 billion barrels of recoverable oil shale in Colorado, Utah and Wyoming alone - it could eventually rival the oil fields of Saudi Arabia.

Last month, the U.S. Senate's Appropriations Committee voted 15-14 to kill a bill that would have ended a one-year moratorium on enacting rules for oil shale development on federal lands (which is where the best oil shale is located). Most maddening of all - at least to someone like myself not steeped in the wacky ways of Washington - the swing vote on the appropriations committee, U.S. Sen. Mary Landrieu, D-La., voted with the majority even though she actually opposes the moratorium.

Thanks nancy... :wacko:

http://money.cnn.com/2008/06/06/news/econo...sion=2008060617

Not to be a wet blanket... but those little two-stroke scooters generate 17X more pollution than a car. It's why people in Saigon wear masks all the time... the smog is unbelievable.

I think Honda might make scooters with cleaner engines, but they may cost more.

LOL. Well I'm sure the emissions standards in Saigon aren't what they are here, but you're right, all 2 stroke engines are bad polluters. The vast majority of new scooters from Yamaha, Honda, and Vespa in the US are 4 stroke engines unless you want a puny 50 cc engine which might get you to 25 mph downhill.

If indeed we were able to take a butt-load of money and invest it in R&D on alternative fuels or energy sources, do you think that our politicians would allow those alternatives to really and truly come to market, or would they block potential advances in the interest of protecting the existing infrastructure, industries, and investors in our current systems (whether they are bound to fail or not)?

They would if we put in term limits. Then their whole terms would not be about raising money for the next run for office.

They would if we put in term limits. Then their whole terms would not be about raising money for the next run for office.

I'm in. But seriously, how do we get our current politicians, who are addicted to their positions of power, to cut themselves off from those positions? If it can be done, I'd love to supoort the effort in any way!