[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

NYC advice

DMD

I am going to be spending six days in New York City for the first time ever. With the family in tow, we will apprise the roles as stupid tourists. There seems to be a ton of stuff to do there - anyone have any suggestions on must-sees or better yet, the don't-bothers? I have to see the Statue of Liberty and will visit Ellis Island where one set of grandparents went through about 90 years ago. Heard the Empire State Building is good at night. There are boat and bus tours too.

Any suggestions? All I know is that they do not make good salsa in New York.

Oh yes, and would appreciate knowing where I should sample New York pizza too.

I am going to be spending six days in New York City for the first time ever. With the family in tow, we will apprise the roles as stupid tourists. There seems to be a ton of stuff to do there - anyone have any suggestions on must-sees or better yet, the don't-bothers? I have to see the Statue of Liberty and will visit Ellis Island where one set of grandparents went through about 90 years ago. Heard the Empire State Building is good at night. There are boat and bus tours too.

Any suggestions? All I know is that they do not make good salsa in New York.

Oh yes, and would appreciate knowing where I should sample New York pizza too.

statue of liberty and ellis island are both great, as is empire state building.

museums: the guggenheim is always pretty good. i haven't been to the museum of modern art since they remodeled it, but it's always good (but also probably pretty crowded).

you could go to the dakota at 72nd and central park west, where john lennon was shot and where yoko still lives. strawberry fields is right near there, and it's a nice entrance to central park. grab some authentic dirty water dogs from the hot dog vendors and sit on the grass.

you could try to catch a yankees game. (isn't this the last year for yankee stadium, or is that next year?) take the subway with the rest of the locals. takes you right to the stadium. (in fact, if you're looking to save money and get a real feel for new york, get acquainted with the subways -- it's really a pretty good way to get around.)

catch a broadway show. there's a booth in times square called TKTS that sells discounted same-day broadway tickets (although during tourist season, good seats may be hard to come by).

i've never taken one, but i've heard the bus tours are pretty lame.

for pizza, i would say John's Pizzeria on Bleecker.

have fun!

Yo DMD...if you can break free for a night, maybe some of the local Huddlers and I can meet you for a couple of :wacko:

I'll weigh in later with my thoughts...it's NYC so there is a ton to do. Definitely check out all that's already been said (yes, this is the last season for Yankee Stadium) as well as Ground Zero...very moving.

fao schwartz is a must for the kids...if you have a litle girl, the American Girl store for her and Mom for an afternoon.

Helicopter/boat ride touring the island is cool.

handsome cab ride of cental park is cool (though make sure your horse isn't named rusty).

a yankee game during its last year would be special.

A day trip to Philly is probably your best bet, though. :wacko:

PM me if you want, I should be able to hook you up with tickets to a Yankee game if you're interested. Aside from that, Bier's and montsters suggestions are pretty good. I'd be glad to recommend some Restaurants as well depending on your interests and budget and location.

I am making my first trip back to NYC since June 2001. My 10 year old wanted to go there and Boston on vacation. I've got tickets to a Yankees game which we are both excited for as we hit as many ballparks as we can. Empire State Building is the only other thing he really wants to see. groun Zero is on the list because on that last trip there, we made a point to shpw the twin towers to him, even at such a young age.

Photo opportunities will be worse than usual. Both the Guggenheim and Lincoln Center are undergoing extensive renovation, and at the moment they look more like scaffolding than tourist attractions.

If you want to do a museum experience, do the Metropolitan Museum of Art (85th and Central Park East/5th Ave). I believe it's 2nd only to the Louvre in size and quality of holdings, and the best part is, you can pay whatever you want to get in (people never see the fine print below where it says $20). When I go I usually pay $1 per person. The Asian wing is beautiful. They've got a ton of Van Gogh and Monet if you want impressionists. There are 2 galleries dedicated to the history of musical instruments, a sculpture garden, an egyptian wading pool (don't wade in it or they'll throw you out), modern and ancient art galleries. It's really an amazing place.

I think Yankee stadium is a must, and easy to get to by subway. Get there early and you can walk through Monument Park and catch BP.

As far as pizza, I think any hole in the wall pizza in NYC is better than any slice you'll get anywhere else in the universe.

Yo DMD...if you can break free for a night, maybe some of the local Huddlers and I can meet you for a couple of :wacko:

+1

If the Yanks are in town, I strongly suggest you catch a game. (Mets would be a distant 2nd. Sorry Mets fans - the storied history is just not there). If you're able, you can take a tour of monument park before the game.

Tons of Museums, etc. Statue of Liberty/Ellis Island would be great (I still remember my trip there from 4th or 5th grade). If going to Central Park, I'd skip the horse-drawn carraige rides. Expensive! Taking a walking tour downtown is pretty cool. Stock Exchanges, Trinity Church, lots to see. Empire State building is very cool.

As I think of more, I'll get back in here.

I agree with Shiek about getting a slice from any hole in the wall joint. However just for something different, stop by the Carnegie Deli for that authentic New York deli experience.

Def visit FAO Swartz and then go to Central Park (very close to each other). Central Park even has some activities for young kids.

I would go to either Top of the rock or Empire State Building but not both...some like the view from top of the rock better and I think the line to get into that one is ALOT shorter than Empire.

Go hit up a broadway play and have some nice Italian food nearby.

Take a helicopter ride around NYC...awesome!

MET is a cool musuem but any musuem you go to will be out of this world

If the misses likes to window shop walk up and down 5th Avenue and you will probably see someone famous (do this at the same time you go to central park and FAO swartz)

Yankee game is always fun to go...it will be the last season of the old stadium so it would be cool if you can make it

Nobody's mentioned St Patrick's Cathedral yet. Got to be worth a look.

It is...and it's on 5th Avenue, pretty much across the street from Rockefeller Plaza, so easy to get to.

If you're in the mood for an awesome NY burger, hit Shake Shack in Madison Square Park (23rd between 5th and Madison). The line will be long during lunch time but it is well worth it. Two words...potato rolls.

Take a NY Waterway water taxi from downtown to (esp if you go to Ground Zero) anywhere up town...some nice views of the city from the wayer...and it is free! Know that all the NY Waterway transportation (ferries and buses) are free.

The Central Park Zoo is a nice way to spend the late afternoon as well.

assuming you can ditch the kids, that's a great spot to get a beer. the waiters are all surly (make sure to give them your empties!) and i think it's the oldest continuously operating tavern in the city.

If you're in the mood for an awesome NY burger, hit Shake Shack in Madison Square Park (23rd between 5th and Madison). The line will be long during lunch time but it is well worth it. Two words...potato rolls.

definitely a good spot to grab a bite, and you're across the street from the flatiron building, which is a nice photo op.