[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

second amendment lives!

dmarc117

damn liberal activist judges. Notice how Scalia relied on the wroking of Congress to base his decisions......that is not how interpreting the constitution works if you are a strict constructionist. You read the second ammendment and apply what is written.....Scalia just practiced judicial activism....do any of you so-called conservatives have a problem with that....I think it is a good decision....but I would think conservatives would have a problem with a ruling that uses arguments that aren't constitutional from a self proclaimed strict constructionist.

Chicago's handgun ban, which has lasted for more than a quarter-century, came under threat Thursday when the Supreme Court decided that Washington D.C.'s law against handgun ownership is unconstitutional.

In a 5-4 decision, the high court determined that Americans have the right to own guns for self-defense as well as hunting. The decision, which had been expected, is a win for gun-rights advocates and provides a better definition of the rights of Americans to own firearms.

Illinois gun-rights activists have said they expect to mount a quick legal challenge to the Chicago Weapons Ordinance.

:wacko:

If everyone is going to be running around with a gun, can we start locking up the crazies again? The problem is we've given them "issues" and cute little names (ie bi-polar) instead of locking them up in mental institutions like we should and did in the old days.

If everyone is going to be running around with a gun, can we start locking up the crazies again? The problem is we've given them "issues" and cute little names (ie bi-polar) instead of locking them up in mental institutions like we should and did in the old days.

you have any idea what the percentage of "not guilty by reason of insanity" pleas are actually successful?

This is good news.....Gun bans are ignorant anyway, you think criminals are gonna be like "It's against the law so I'm not gonna carry a gun." Doesn't make any sense, only people affected by it are law abiding citizens.

:wacko::D:D

Obama's reaction:

“I have always believed that the Second Amendment protects the right of individuals to bear arms, but I also identify with the need for crime-ravaged communities to save their children from the violence that plagues our streets through common-sense, effective safety measures. The Supreme Court has now endorsed that view, and while it ruled that the D.C. gun ban went too far, Justice Scalia himself acknowledged that this right is not absolute and subject to reasonable regulations enacted by local communities to keep their streets safe. Today’s ruling, the first clear statement on this issue in 127 years, will provide much-needed guidance to local jurisdictions across the country.

“As President, I will uphold the constitutional rights of law-abiding gun-owners, hunters, and sportsmen. I know that what works in Chicago may not work in Cheyenne. We can work together to enact common-sense laws, like closing the gun show loophole and improving our background check system, so that guns do not fall into the hands of terrorists or criminals. Today's decision reinforces that if we act responsibly, we can both protect the constitutional right to bear arms and keep our communities and our children safe."

Obama's reaction:

“I have always believed that the Second Amendment protects the right of individuals to bear arms, but I also identify with the need for crime-ravaged communities to save their children from the violence that plagues our streets through common-sense, effective safety measures. The Supreme Court has now endorsed that view, and while it ruled that the D.C. gun ban went too far, Justice Scalia himself acknowledged that this right is not absolute and subject to reasonable regulations enacted by local communities to keep their streets safe. Today’s ruling, the first clear statement on this issue in 127 years, will provide much-needed guidance to local jurisdictions across the country.

“As President, I will uphold the constitutional rights of law-abiding gun-owners, hunters, and sportsmen. I know that what works in Chicago may not work in Cheyenne. We can work together to enact common-sense laws, like closing the gun show loophole and improving our background check system, so that guns do not fall into the hands of terrorists or criminals. Today's decision reinforces that if we act responsibly, we can both protect the constitutional right to bear arms and keep our communities and our children safe."

He's dreamy when he talks about favoring laws that actually work instead of ones that make it look like you're working.

that didnt take long........

CHICAGO (CBS) ― The U.S. Supreme Court says Americans have a right to own guns for self-defense and hunting, and the ruling will likely invalidate the 26-year-old ban on handguns in the City of Chicago.

In fact, the Illinois State Rifle Association has already filed a lawsuit challenging the Chicago ban. They filed the suit within 15 minutes of the high court's ruling.

http://cbs2chicago.com/local/supreme.court...s.2.757471.html