[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Hawaii

devilwoman

Next to gambling on fantasy football timeshares are the worst investment in the world. Do the priceline thing, it is better than Captain Kirk says.

I dont want a timeshare, just use one maybe someone isn't going to use and pay them a fair fee...Yeah :wacko: last thing I can afford is a time share after this kitchen remodel...which I will have pictures of in a week. I'm at work so when I get home I will post them so all can see.

Not sure which island you are planning to visit, but now is not the greatest time for the Big Island. The ash is extremely bad from the volcano. Several areas have been told they should evacuate and the Volcanoes National Park has been shut down.

I grew up in Hawaii. I go back every year to visit my parents and friends. I get off easy by not having to pay for hotel accommodations. I have learned that you can go to a Bed & Breakfast for cheaper than a hotel though.

Avoid timeshares. They are a complete ripoff.

Edited by Bachi Boy

I know of a great condo on Maui which is $125 plus the 11% tax. The condo complex has a commercial Weber outdoor grill on the rooftop. I always buy fresh seafood and grill out at sunset with ocean view, and only eat out maybe two or three out of seven nights. The kitchen is well equiped, one bedroom and spacious living area and dining area. Beach is across the street.

while i am not going to pimp timeshares (can't stand the tactics used), we have one on maui and have been pretty happy with it. it doesn't sound like you are in the market for one, but a condo isn't a bad way to spend a week out there. they are less expensive (additionally- with a kitchen you make as many or few meals as you desire), but have fewer ammenities than the resorts. we use ours almost every year.. have sold it to friends twice (1 huddler on his honeymoon), have exchanged it twice (key west and big island), and had to burn it one year. we are currently booked for nov, but may sell it. this year we are going with my parents and if we can't upgrade to a 2 or 3 bedroom, we'll find another on the island for all of us.

I grew up in Hawaii. I go back every year to visit my parents and friends. I get off easy by not having to pay for hotel accommodations. I have learned that you can go to a Bed & Breakfast for cheaper than a hotel though.

Avoid timeshares. They are a complete ripoff.

The last time I went to Hawaii on my own dime, my wife and I did the B&B thing and it was quite inexpensive. Thing is, while the one in Volcano was really nice (basically a pimped out treehouse to ourselves with really nice b-fast brought to our deck every morning, the other was basically renting a room in a family home, equipped with younger siblings.

The last time I went to Hawaii on my own dime, my wife and I did the B&B thing and it was quite inexpensive. Thing is, while the one in Volcano was really nice (basically a pimped out treehouse to ourselves with really nice b-fast brought to our deck every morning, the other was basically renting a room in a family home, equipped with younger siblings.

When my friends stayed at one for our wedding, he said it was pretty nice and he preferred it to a hotel. He was looking to get the cheapest place to stay possible knowing that he wouldn't be spending much time there. However, this is for Oahu. I am not sure what the costs of Maui are. I avoided that tourist trap like it was herpes.

yeah...a B&B maybe the way to go....thanks for your responses...

What island(s) are you considering? As you may know, each island is rather different. If you want more of a touristy experience, Oahu is probably your choice. If you want complete relaxation, perhaps Kauai is your choice. If you want outdoorsy stuff, the Big Island is it. In my opinion, though, Maui has a little bit of every island: touristy stuff, relaxing spots, nightlife, and hiking/etc.

The wife and I went there for 10 days on our honeymoon back in April of 2006, and it was awesome. If you want to explore the B&B options, I'd recommend the one we stayed at: Spyglass House. This place is in Pa'ia, a small little surf community about 20 minutes from the airport. If you're planning on going to an island and hopping from area to area, this place would be perfect to stay at for a couple of nights. We stayed just one night (and got there real late), but the breakfast in the morning and waking up listening to the surf was awesome. Here is some more information.

We then went on to Maui's east coast and stayed at the Hotel Hana Maui in Hana. I don't know what your budget is, but if you have a little coin to throw at your accommodations, I highly recommend this place. The drive from Pa'ia to Hana is a day trip and is not to be missed.

Finally, if you want to round out your trip with some more liveliness, head to the west side of Maui and stay in/near Lahaina. We stayed at the Sheraton Black Rock and loved it. It's in Ka'anapali, which is a short drive from Lahaina.

The next time we go to Maui, though, we talked about getting a condo. Food is really expensive out there and we would have preferred being able to cook breakfasts and possibly some lunches on our own. If we don't go that route, we would definitely consider the three places we stayed at already. Each was absolutely amazing.

Enjoy your trip and feel free to PM me if you have any other questions. :wacko:

Plenty of good condos to rent for a week or 2 in Hawaii. Just do some research- and gather as much info as you can.

Orbitz and the other travel sites actually have some good deals, and depending on how many nights, you can get a couple free.

Craigslist is another good option - Yer in Alaska right?? check out the Hawaii and Seattle vaca rentals - tons of options