[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Friend being detained at Heathrow airport

SuperCharger

One of my wife's girlfriends left Atlanta lastnight on a flight to London to visit for a week. Upon arrival there this morning she was immediately detained and has been sitting in an interregation room for close to 5 hours now. They won't let her claim her luggage and they took her carry-on (I'm surprised she had her cell hone still on her). They have not told her why she is being detained or why they are photographing her, I think she told my wife her stomach.

This is all we know at the moment and that's because my wife called her to hear if she landed safely and she was in tears and the call was cut short when, my wife said she heard, people walk into the room.

Does anyone have any experience like this with Heathrow airport? How long before I contact the US Embassy in London? Any thoughts?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Woah, so they think she is a mule? :wacko:

I wonder what set them off... drug sniffing dogs, suspicious activity on the plane, wrong name on the wrong list? I'm not in any way saying that your friend is guilty of anything at all... but something obviously must have caused this kind of reaction. Please keep us updated.

how well do you know your friend??

and of all the countries that you can be detained in, i think she is lucky its the uk.

Seriously. . .I hope they're keeping her in plenty of tea and crumpets while they break her balls.

Perhaps, after just arriving at the airport and only being there a short time, she began to take credit for being a part of all of the success that the airport had achieved over the last several years. They felt she was simply jumping on the airports growing bandwagon. :wacko:

Seriously, I hope this all works out well for her. Scary chit.

Edited by Menudo

I called the US State Department and was unable to get any help, they suggested I continue to try and contact the US Embassy in London which I have tried severals times with no luck.

I've know my Wife's friend for over 14 years. My wife, my wife's friend and myself all served in the USAF together which is where we all met. As far as I know she's law abiding.

My wife's cousin is swedish and travels all the time. I honestly believe it was England that she flew into when she was whisked from the plane to a room by airport agents who had mistakened her for some drug mule. She had brought a big wheel of cheese with her in her suitcase and they put it on a table and cut the entire thing up into tiny cubes looking for drugs that were not there. When they were finally convinced that there were no drugs, they just left her sitting in the room with a pile of cheese bits and told her she was free to go.

Sounds like they have either mistakened identity or think she has something. I would guess you will not be able to find out much until they release her or actually charge her and that could take a while.

I was able to contact the consulate on duty at the US Embassy in London. After speaking with her, she thinks it's possible that my friend is not eligible to enter the UK without a VISA. She said that since she is single and unemployed UK immigration may not let here in the country without a VISA. If that is in fact correct they'll put her back on a flight to the US.

The consulate is contacting UK immigration at Heathrow and will phone me back with more information.

Edited by SuperCharger

I was able to contact the consulate on duty at the US Embassy in London. After speaking with her, she thinks it's possible that my friend is not eligible to enter the UK without a VISA. She said that since she is single and unemployed UK immigration may not let here in the country without a VISA. If that is in fact correct they'll put her back on a flight to the US.

The consulate is contacting UK immigration at Heathrow and will phone me back with more information.

pic

My wife's cousin is swedish and travels all the time. I honestly believe it was England that she flew into when she was whisked from the plane to a room by airport agents who had mistakened her for some drug mule. She had brought a big wheel of cheese with her in her suitcase and they put it on a table and cut the entire thing up into tiny cubes looking for drugs that were not there. When they were finally convinced that there were no drugs, they just left her sitting in the room with a pile of cheese bits and told her she was free to go.

Sounds like they have either mistakened identity or think she has something. I would guess you will not be able to find out much until they release her or actually charge her and that could take a while.

Reason #1837 why Cheez-Its are better than the real thing.

Her stomach? What...is she pregnant or something? Can't trust those pregnant women.... :wacko:

Not pregant that I know of, certainly not showing. With how hysterical she was on the phone who knows what she said. They must have taken the phone from her after that call because we've been unable to get an answer on her cell since then.

Not pregant that I know of, certainly not showing. With how hysterical she was on the phone who knows what she said. They must have taken the phone from her after that call because we've been unable to get an answer on her cell since then.

Jeeeeeez. . . anyone have Jason Bourne's cell #?

I'm sure everything will be ok as long as shes clean. If you do speak to her just re-assure her it will be over soon.

They are sending her back home on a flight tomorrow. She's not eligible to enter the UK without a VISA because she's single and unemployed. She's upset and out a grand worth of airfare and she stays in a detention cell until her flight.

Lesson learned I guess.

They are sending her back home on a flight tomorrow. She's not eligible to enter the UK without a VISA because she's single and unemployed. She's upset and out a grand worth of airfare and she stays in a detention cell until her flight.

Lesson learned I guess.

Single and unemployed? Deadbeat shouldn't be let back in the US!!!!

I kid, I kid!!

Lesson learned I guess.

I don't understand that rule...

Lesson learned I guess.

That makes no sense.

http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/ukvqr?redirec...n=United+States

Says no visa needed for a short visit to the UK for an American citizen living in the US. For the unemployment, I changed the purpose of the entry to "work" from "visit" and it said no visa if the work is less than 6 months.