[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Quick question on tipping....

rocknrobn26

We're having our kitchen remodeled and the same 2 guys did most of the work. They accommodated us several times and have done a nice neat job, cleaning up every day. Should we tip them or not? If so how much?

Need sopme opinions quick as they should finish today.

TIA

We're having our kitchen remodeled and the same 2 guys did most of the work. They accommodated us several times and have done a nice neat job, cleaning up every day. Should we tip them or not? If so how much?

TIA

Depends on whether they are the owners of the company or just employees. If they are employees I'd give em an extra $10 or $20 each depending on the size/scope of the job.

I've never heard of tipping a contractor... Maybe get each of them a 25 dollar gift card to CHili's or something, say hey thanks for the hard work, dinners on me...

IMO you should not have to tip them. They are being paid by you already to do the job in a professional manner. I have a Handyman Business and I do not expect a tip for doing what I am suppose to. That being said, I have been given tips before. It was not expected but appreciated. So if you think they did an extraordinary job feel free to do so. Also be sure to ask them for some extra business cards and recommend them to others. :wacko:

Depends on whether they are the owners of the company or just employees. If they are employees I'd give em an extra $10 or $20 each depending on the size/scope of the job.

Employees

I've never heard of tipping a contractor... Maybe get each of them a 25 dollar gift card to CHili's or something, say hey thanks for the hard work, dinners on me...

See above.

IMO you should not have to tip them. They are being paid by you already to do the job in a professional manner. I have a Handyman Business and I do not expect a tip for doing what I am suppose to. That being said, I have been given tips before. It was not expected but appreciated. So if you think they did an extraordinary job feel free to do so. Also be sure to ask them for some extra business cards and recommend them to others. :wacko:

I realize I don't have to tip them and I'll probably never see them again. We had plumbers here a few days ago and I didn't tip them as they both own the business. We tipped the guys who did our HW floor, and they helped us put floor protectors under the piano and other real heavy stuff which we could never have done and it wasn't their job to do it.

Anyone else?

Tipping them would not be unappropiate. Since they are employees it would be hard to recommend them to others, you could recommend the business they work for, but sending their employer a quick email or letter letting them know you appreciated the work done id a very nice touch too.

Tipping them would not be unappropiate. Since they are employees it would be hard to recommend them to others, you could recommend the business they work for, but sending their employer a quick email or letter letting them know you appreciated the work done id a very nice touch too.

I will be writting the BB and the parent company "Kitchen Solvers" when they are all done. We already have 2 neighbors and a few friends that are intested also. BTW....this contractor had the highest rating from the BB.

I like the Chili's gift card idea. When somebody meets or exceeds ones expectations of them in the workplace, it is not uncommon for them to be recognized for doing so. This is how employees advance in the work place. I'd throw both a gift card to Home Depot for some new tools or Chilis/Applebees etc so they can take there wives/girlfriends out for a nice dinner.

The gift is a good idea, I'll have to remember that one, but we don't have the time to go. I'm supposed to be hooking up w/ Gil and BFD for lunch shortly and the workers may be gone before I get back, so the wife will have to do it. I think a double saw buck each should work. Thanks.

i always tip contractors who do good work. how much depends on the size of the project. cash is always the best thing to receive.

when we had our kitchen and bathroom remodeled, we tipped the guys around $30 apiece since they did such an outstanding job.

I have done it in the past, especially as you say they have accomodated you, been conscientious enough to do a good clean up job, etc.

Depending on the size of the job, I think $20 each (cash or gift card) would be appropriate. They are just getting their hourly wage, so a little extra never hurt and the letter or call to the owners would be good (and if your neighbors do go through with work, they could request that these two do the work if it is similar work)

I'd buy a cheap styro cooler, fill it with ice and a case of a decent beer, and send them on their way. (You might ask if they drink first).

I wouldn't tip a contractor cash. I would consider giving them a bottle of hooch with one hand and a firm handshake with the other.

Good calls - don't give cash.

i always tip contractors who do good work. how much depends on the size of the project. cash is always the best thing to receive.

when we had our kitchen and bathroom remodeled, we tipped the guys around $30 apiece since they did such an outstanding job.

werd - can never go wrong with cash- epsecially these days -

Chili's/Applebee gift card??? - big negative

TIA

Only if you feel like you should. If you think that they made the experience easier for you - that they took stress off you and you want to reward that practice and encourage it, why the heck not. Tip what you're comfortable with. Tip what it meant to you. I have issues tipping delivery folk and contractors 'just because' but this seems to be a different issue.

I dig West Virginia's idea. I also dig the thought to ask them if they drink first. Surprise is nice, so I don't know how you get past that issue.

A case of decent beer is somehow cooler than $2-30 bucks - so long as you're a beer drinker.

Let's break this down into the basic elements. These guys did some work for you. If you think they were tip worthy and you can afford it go for it. You do not have to quantify everything. Plus since I know you to some degree I think you would enjoy tipping them.

Also, only give cash, it is spent everywhere.

But I'll bet he'd appreciate the cash just the same.

You generally don't tip professionals. I mean, everyone likes cash so it's not an insult, or anything. But giving cash is a gesture without soul or meaning, other than the obvious economic gain. If the message you want to convey is a sincere "thank you," a nominal amount of cash is a pretty ham-fisted way of doing so. You might as well give him a slap on the ass on the way out as you tuck it into his work belt. (Though, perhaps he won't mind that). If what you're trying to do is acknowledge someone's extra effort, it's more genuine if you put a little effort into how you make that acknowledgment.

Whether its dinner out for him and his wife, a gift certificate to Home Depot, or a nice bottle of whatever he likes to drink, you've made the gesture more personal in nature. It's self-evident that you appreciated his effort enough to make a little effort of your own; at least more than just grabbing for your wallet.

You generally don't tip professionals. I mean, everyone likes cash so it's not an insult, or anything. But giving cash is a gesture without soul or meaning, other than the obvious economic gain. If the message you want to convey is a sincere "thank you," a nominal amount of cash is a pretty ham-fisted way of doing so. You might as well give him a slap on the ass on the way out as you tuck it into his work belt. (Though, perhaps he won't mind that). If what you're trying to do is acknowledge someone's extra effort, it's more genuine if you put a little effort into how you make that acknowledgment.

Whether its dinner out for him and his wife, a gift certificate to Home Depot, or a nice bottle of whatever he likes to drink, you've made the gesture more personal in nature. It's self-evident that you appreciated his effort enough to make a little effort of your own; at least more than just grabbing for your wallet.

Can I do your taxes? :wacko: I'll even lick the envelopes.

Oh and I tipped a guy who put in my kicthen flooring a few years ago. I didn't think about it until he was about done and was forced to give cash at that point (although I did say have a case on me).