[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Top 5 movie Villains

piratesownninjas

in no particular order ...

clancy brown - the kurgan from highlander (honorable mention for that prison movie with sean penn)

ah-nold - the terminator

mr. t - clubber lang (i wanted to knock him out)

ricardo - khan noonien singh (from hell's heart, i stab at thee. for hate's sake, i spit my last breath at thee)

rickman - hans gruber

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some of my favorite villians....

Heath Ledger's Joker has made my list.

Thanks to GTS for mentioning Darth Vader, the second person that came to mind.

Joaquin Phoenix as Commodus in Gladiator

Jason Isaacs as Col. William Tavington in the Patriot

John Travolta in Faceoff as Caster Troy

Honorable mention to Lord Farquad in Shrek and Gollum in LoTR, Rebecca DeMornay in Hand that Rocks the Cradle, andTim Curry in The Three Muskateers as Cardinal Richeliu. And as amready mentioned Gene Hackman in Unforgiven.

Edited by Caveman_Nick

Still, I think Palpatine is more evil than Vader, and plays a more villianous role in the Star Wars series.

that is true if you look at the star wars saga as a whole, vader/anakin gets a lot more sympathetic treatment, starting of course with the end of return of the jedi. but if you look at the first two (and by far the best) films released in the series, vader is THE villian...and one of the most memorable in movie history.

I could write a thesis on Vader, but I'll just summarize and say this:

After the release of Episodes I, II, and III the focus of the whole series changes. Once you get the back story of the 3 newer films, Vader ceases to be the bad guy. Palpatine is the real villian.

:wacko:

I remember watching a movie called "The Incident" from the late 60's (I think @ '67). Some famous actors - Beau Bridges and a few others. On a NYC subway train, 2 hooligans terrorize the rest of the passengers in the subway car. Great film. Shows how people are willing to ignore what is happening to others. Finally someone comes to the breaking point and does something about it.

Great film, and if I remember, great villain. I just remember how uncomfortable I felt while watching it.

that is true if you look at the star wars saga as a whole, vader/anakin gets a lot more sympathetic treatment, starting of course with the end of return of the jedi. but if you look at the first two (and by far the best) films released in the series, vader is THE villian...and one of the most memorable in movie history.

One of the many reasons I was so impressed and satisfied with the 3 newer films. Lucas managed to take one of the most iconic villians in film history and put a whole new spin on the character, making the 3 older movies an entirely different experience when you watch them with the added backstory.

And not even ashamed of it.

:D

After all of the discussion about Heath Ledger's take on the Joker I decided to start a new thread and wee who everyone's favorite villains in movies are...

Regan MacNeil/Satan - The Exorcist

Bill The Butcher - Gangs of New York

The Joker - The Dark Knight

Anton Chigurh - No Country For Old Men

Leatherface and Family - Texas Chainsaw Massacre

I also thought Max Cady from Cape Fear was creepy as hell as well...

I know this is a thread about MOVIE villains, but it still made me laugh to see a list about bad guys, and SATAN is somewhere in the middle (ok, near the top)

"I got Satan coming in right behind my Uncle Cletus....he's was an orn'ry sombitch"

Some of my favorite villians....

Heath Ledger's Joker has made my list.

Thanks to GTS for mentioning Darth Vader, the second person that came to mind.

Joaquin Phoenix as Commodus in Gladiator

Jason Isaacs as Col. William Tavington in the Patriot

John Travolta in Faceoff as Caster Troy

Honorable mention to Lord Farquad in Shrek and Gollum in LoTR, Rebecca DeMornay in Hand that Rocks the Cradle, andTim Curry in The Three Muskateers as Cardinal Richeliu. And as amready mentioned Gene Hackman in Unforgiven.

I never thought of Gollum as a villain at all.

I never thought of Gollum as a villain at all.

Yeah, he's just more of a pain in the ass. The real villian is Saromon. . .or is it Sauron. I always get them confused.

I have read the books several times.

But the question here is not about books. It's about movie villians.

Sorry bud, even if you address the duality of the character; Gollum as "villian" and Smeagol as "hero", i just don't think of him as villain of the kind of caliber we at speaking of here.

Even if you choose to only think of him in the "Gollum" sense, he is a pretty minotr villain to the threat of Sauron as a whole. Heck, the Lord of the Nazgul would be MUCH more frightening as a true villain after Sauron.

Sorry bud, even if you address the duality of the character; Gollum as "villian" and Smeagol as "hero", i just don't think of him as villain of the kind of caliber we at speaking of here.

Even if you choose to only think of him in the "Gollum" sense, he is a pretty minotr villain to the threat of Sauron as a whole. Heck, the Lord of the Nazgul would be MUCH more frightening as a true villain after Sauron.

Thankfully, I don't need your validation to have my own "Honorable Mentions".

But your reasoning is frought with momo-osity. I am talking about acting performances by villains that I think are great. The scale of the villain with respect to the story as a whole isn't my concern. It's what the villian character adds to the movie. And as an aside, I don't think that you really get what the director was trying to to with Gollum as a parallel to the effect the ring was having on Frodo and Bilbo before him. This was a large part of the story, and very representative of the personal demons that the ringbearers had to battle in keeping the artifact. In that regard, Gollum is a very important villain, and the screen time that his character had shows it.

One of the many reasons I was so impressed and satisfied with the 3 newer films. Lucas managed to take one of the most iconic villians in film history and put a whole new spin on the character, making the 3 older movies an entirely different experience when you watch them with the added backstory.

I think it was probably easier than how you make it sound. Darth Vader, a robed, costumed, iconic villain, absolutely. Annakin Skywalker, not only in name, but in appearance, has no resemblance to Vader, which in my mind, makes it an easier sell. :wacko: