[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Latest Ryan Grant News

Rushmore

Wisconsin State Journal

Agent: Grant 'livid' about Packers' contract offer

By Jason Wilde / Wisconsin State Journal

GREEN BAY — Not only is Ryan Grant not reporting to camp for today's first practice, the Green Bay Packers' unsigned starting running back is ''livid,'' over the club's initial contract offer, his agent said.

''It's a joke. It's an absolute joke,'' agent Alan Herman said Sunday night, roughly 24 hours after receiving what he said was an offer from Packers negotiator Russ Ball of a six-year deal that included just $1.75 million in guaranteed money. ''It's insulting. I don't believe it.

''Ryan's feelings about the Green Bay Packers at this point are not very good. He is livid. He is very angry.''

Midway through last season, Grant brought the Packers' going-nowhere running game to life, rushing for 956 yards in the second half of the season before adding a 201-yard effort against Seattle in the NFC divisional playoffs.

Herman said Grant's frustration comes from knowing that linebacker Brady Poppinga received a $3 million signing bonus as part of his extension last week - even though Poppinga might not keep his starting job in camp after the signing of Brandon Chillar.

The Packers' offer to Grant also pales in comparison to the four-year, $40 million extension the Chicago Bears gave return man Devin Hester, who like Grant was two years away from unrestricted free agency.

Herman said Hester received $10 million in guaranteed money even though he's yet to prove himself as a receiver.

According to Herman, Grant's 2008 pay in signing bonus and salary would be just more than $2 million. While Herman wouldn't say what he was seeking, he was believed to be asking for a signing bonus in the $5 million range, with Grant's raises tied to performance-based incentive clauses.

''After 51&À8260;2 months of asking to negotiate with these guys, I finally got a formal proposal at 5 o'clock. The frustration of dealing with these guys is, with all their rhetoric about how they take care of their own, the guy proved himself. And this is what you're offering?'' Herman said. ''I said to Russ, 'You've got to be kidding me. This is such a ridiculous proposal, we have nothing to talk about.' ''

Asked if he would request a trade in light of the Packers' offer, Herman said, ''I'm going to do nothing right now. Ryan is clearly not coming (to camp). If (the Packers) get past the point of unfairness, if they want to bargain in good faith, then we'll do that. But this is an abusive position the team has decided to take.

''There's nothing to talk about. I have nothing to say to them at this point. The proposal is that absurd - the day before the first practice training camp. In 24 years of me being an agent, I've never seen anything like it. There's nothing to negotiate.''

Meanwhile, the Packers announced the signings of wide receiver Jordy Nelson, quarterback Brian Brohm and cornerback Pat Lee, meaning all nine draft picks will be at practice this morning.

*sigh*

This doesn't look good. I planned on keeping Grant as one of my three keepers this year but if he doesn't sign soon, I'm may have to go with someone else. Say what you want about spoiled millionaire athletes, $1.75 million in guaranteed money *is* an insult for the RB1 on one of the top NFC teams. I have very little faith that Brandon Jackson is the answer for the Packers run-game.

Edited by Rushmore

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mixed feelings on this one. We haven't seen the terms of the contract, so while there might only be $1.75M in guaranteed money, there could be some relatively easy to earn incentives (which would make sense on GB's part given how unproven Grant is). Of course, we won't know that because Grant's agent won't disclose that and GB most probably won't either. We also have no ideas what the annual salary numbers are, so it's almost impossible to evaluate as to whether GB is lowballing Grant or not.

GB has some RBs in the stable, not the least of which are Jackson & Wynn, and there are some high profile RBs in the WW right now, so Grant doesn't have a ton of leverage. GB still has to act in its own best interest.

:wacko: at using other team's stupidity with its FAs as a baseline for the contract negotiations for Grant. And using Poppinga as an attempt at leverage isn't very smart either. He brings value by being able to play multiple LB positions as well as a willingness to play on all ST squads.

GB has some RBs in the stable, not the least of which are Jackson & Wynn, and there are some high profile RBs in the WW right now, so Grant doesn't have a ton of leverage. GB still has to act in its own best interest.
You can't be serious. Outside of Grant, GB doesn't have squat for RBs.

:wacko: at using other team's stupidity with its FAs as a baseline for the contract negotiations for Grant.
Totally agree on that one. lol @ "Hester got hideously overpaid, why shouldn't Grant?"

Still, GB seems to be pulling a Carl Peterson here.

I usually stick up for RBs working to get more money as their careers are typically shorter than other positions. In this case, Grant is wrong. He has one good season, and he has two years left on a contract. He needs to play this season as good as last year. Then he can come in to re-negotiate.

Thompson is afraid that the Favre drama is going to get him canned... well he had better watch out for the backlash on this drama as well. I understand that they don't want to overpay anyone, but I agree with Grant's agent that their offer was pretty much an insult compared to other starting RB's in the league.

And now the Packers will want to try to save face by not immediately backtracking on their lowball offer, while Grant and his agent set their feet and wait for the Packers to come back to them with something more substantial. This won't be worked out any time soon. And the Packers will be a worse team for it (at least early on in the season).

It sounds like Grant needs a new agent. WTH does Hester have to do with Grant? There are teams that would love to have him just because of what he does on special teams, nevermind WR. Grant's plaued for what, half a season? Samkon Gado looked good for half a season too. :wacko:

Has this been a great offseason or what!

Let me hear ya Packer fans.... :wacko:

We've had better, that's for sure. I don't expect this situation to be a big deal, however. Grant doesn't have much leverage, other than not showing up.

It sounds like Grant needs a new agent. WTH does Hester have to do with Grant? There are teams that would love to have him just because of what he does on special teams, nevermind WR. Grant's plaued for what, half a season? Samkon Gado looked good for half a season too. :wacko:

Major difference, as I recall between what Gado did and Grant did. Gado filled in for an injured A Green and just continued with a running game that had some good success already. Grant was the 3rd or so guy GB tried to plug into a very anemic running game and then, all of a sudden, they're running the ball well. What this means to me was that one was just a dude running behind a solid line and one was the reason why the team was running the ball well.

Of course, the bigger deal is that, RBs need to strike while the iron is hot and there may be no position where that is more important for. I don't think he's done anything to deserve mad money but a starting RB is a starting RB and is far more valuable to a team than a guy who can run back kicks (even if he does so really well). You can take a return man out of the play if you're willing to sacrifice a few yards in field position. A running game, on the other hand is something that every good team needs. You may not rely on it, but you need it as I can't recall many contenders who weren't able to run the ball when they needed to.

Unless, as BB wonders, there's some very easy and lucrative bonuses that escalate this contract very, very quickly, then I do think they're low balling him.

Edited by detlef

Viking fans need something to feel good about. :D

Let's see... :wacko:

rookie of the year possibly best RB in the league...

best overall rushing game in the league...

best run stopping D...

improved secondary through FA and the Draft...

brought in the best DE in the league...

got rid of butterhands Williamson...

brought in Berrian...

Yeah, we need Packers drama in order to feel good about our team. :D:D

best run stopping D...

brought in Berrian...

Don't forget Tarvaris Jackson.

best run stopping D...

brought in Berrian...

:D Yep, looks like the Vikes are doing a great job of ignoring the elephant in the room. Maybe they're trying to emulate the Ravens when they won it all with Dilfer. Of course, it should be noted that, unlike Jackson, Dilfer was actually capable of running a NFL offense.

:wacko: Yep, looks like the Vikes are doing a great job of ignoring the elephant in the room.

He's going to shock the world! Seriously though, I am now a believer with Tarvaris... he is not just going to manage games, but he is going to be a good QB this season. At least a Top 15 in the league for certain.

He's going to shock the world! Seriously though, I am now a believer with Tarvaris... he is not just going to manage games, but he is going to be a good QB this season. At least a Top 15 in the league for certain.

Did you ever stop drinking since last Wednesday at BW3s?

:wacko:

I agree that Tarvaris will be a decent QB, but IMO this will actually be bad for the Vikes. They would be more successful with the Ravens' version of Trent Dilfer than a QB that can lose them games.

As far as the Grant thing...it is an awful career decision for any starting RB to carry the load for under 2 or 3 mil per year minimum. A player with that much upside should not put his career on the line for such a relatively low amount. If it was me, I honestly would not play until I was paid adequately for the risk I'm taking. Most other positions I would not make this argument, but he has a family and future to think about.

Did you ever stop drinking since last Wednesday at BW3s?

:D

Well, no actually... but that's not the point. :wacko:

Anyway, this thread isn't about Tarvaris Jackson... it's about the Packers organization taking a division winning up-and-coming team from last year and making decisions that continue to hamper their pre-season. How could getting Ryan Grant into TC not be one of their highest priorities over this entire off-season?

Call me crazy, but I do think that B. Jackson has enough talent to play in the NFL (at least in a RBBC). I don't think he is that bright (and he struggled with pass protection last year) but it is his second year in the offense. I think Grant should get paid reasonable money, but with all the 1 / 2 combos in backfields…I wouldn’t be surprised to see Jackson get a few chances to shine. I think they know what they have with Morency (3rd down back) but Jackson can catch the ball and has some explosiveness. I fully admit I could be wrong on this, but that’s my hunch.

1 half a season does not a great career make

He has no leverage. Also, throw in the fact that RB's are a dime a dozen.

I think he has at least shown that he can play as a #1 RB... it's not like he is a totally unknown rookie RB. He has shown very measureable NFL talent, even if only for half of a season. Take someone like Matt Forte for instance. He will become the Bears starting RB and even though he may be a total bust, he has a 4 year deal and the educated guess is that he is getting around $3 Million guaranteed. He hasn't played a snap in the NFL. Would Ryan Grant be worth at least as much as an unproven 2nd round rookie pick?

It is amazing that people think Grant has no leverage here. Take alook at the rushing stats before and after Grant last year. It is about a 50 yard per game difference. Anyone that thinks the Packers go to the Championship game with 50 yds less per game is plain nuts.

Reality: the Packers need Grant. They don't HAVE to pay him, but they should and will.

I expect to hear reports today out of Packer camp about how impressive B.Jackson looks ...blah blah blah. They will dance for a few days and then a deal will get done.

It is amazing that people think Grant has no leverage here. Take alook at the rushing stats before and after Grant last year. It is about a 50 yard per game difference. Anyone that thinks the Packers go to the Championship game with 50 yds less per game is plain nuts.

Reality: the Packers need Grant. They don't HAVE to pay him, but they should and will.

I expect to hear reports today out of Packer camp about how impressive B.Jackson looks ...blah blah blah. They will dance for a few days and then a deal will get done.

Who was the last player that threatened to sit out until week 10 (Grant's only real option) and did it?

I agree that Tarvaris will be a decent QB, but IMO this will actually be bad for the Vikes. They would be more successful with the Ravens' version of Trent Dilfer than a QB that can lose them games.

As far as the Grant thing...it is an awful career decision for any starting RB to carry the load for under 2 or 3 mil per year minimum. A player with that much upside should not put his career on the line for such a relatively low amount. If it was me, I honestly would not play until I was paid adequately for the risk I'm taking. Most other positions I would not make this argument, but he has a family and future to think about.

exactly