[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Latest Ryan Grant News

Rushmore

Let's see... :wacko:

rookie of the year possibly best RB in the league...

best overall rushing game in the league...

best run stopping D...

improved secondary through FA and the Draft...

brought in the best DE in the league...

got rid of butterhands Williamson...

brought in Berrian...

Yeah, we need Packers drama in order to feel good about our team. :D:D

The Vikes are my pick to represent the NFC in the Super Bowl.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think he has at least shown that he can play as a #1 RB... it's not like he is a totally unknown rookie RB. He has shown very measureable NFL talent, even if only for half of a season. Take someone like Matt Forte for instance. He will become the Bears starting RB and even though he may be a total bust, he has a 4 year deal and the educated guess is that he is getting around $3 Million guaranteed. He hasn't played a snap in the NFL. Would Ryan Grant be worth at least as much as an unproven 2nd round rookie pick?

That's more of an indictment on how the rookie salaries are out-of-whack than anything.

That's more of an indictment on how the rookie salaries are out-of-whack than anything.

None the less, if you were coming off a season where you rescued your team's rushing attack and helped with a NFC Championship run, would you not point this out? That you were being offered less than a 2nd round pick who hadn't played a snap?

I usually stick up for RBs working to get more money as their careers are typically shorter than other positions. In this case, Grant is wrong. He has one half of one good season, and he has two years left on a contract. He needs to play this season as good as last year. Then he can come in to re-negotiate.

fixed

Edited by Caveman_Nick

Well, keep in mind I dind't pick McFadden or Stewart to compare him with... but Forte, a 2nd rounder with a lot to prove.

Most people agree that rookie contracts are nuts, but it's still a pretty good comparison here. Two teams looking for a young RB to start at a crucial position. One of them has shown he can do it in the NFL. The other hasn't, but is still getting offered a much better contract.

None the less, if you were coming off a season where you rescued your team's rushing attack and helped with a NFC Championship run, would you not point this out? That you were being offered less than a 2nd round pick who hadn't played a snap?

Exactly. :wacko:

he has two years left on a contract.

He had a 1-year contract last year so he is not current in contract and can't report to camp without one. He is an exclusive-rights free agent and has to wait another 2 years before he can be a restricted free agent.

I'd be sure to point it out, but I wouldn't set my sights too high.

fixed

He had a 1-year contract last year so he is not current in contract and can't report to camp without one. He is an exclusive-rights free agent and has to wait another 2 years before he can be a restricted free agent.

I'm messing up all sorts of facts. I would shut up, but I've never needed facts before to make a point. :wacko: If the Pack wants to sink money into a player who played well for half a season, more power to them. They don't need to pay him a hugh contract yet. It would be in Grant's best interests to follow up with another good season or sign an incentive laden contract.

I'd be sure to point it out, but I wouldn't set my sights too high.

Well, I'd sure as hell set them above more than 1.7 mil of assured money. Don't get me wrong, I'm not talking top 5 RB money here. If I was GB, I would be very quick to point out that he can't have his cake and eat it too. If he wants to renegotiate with two years left, he'd better be prepared to not expect max money. However, what GB offered him is nowhere near max money.

he can certainly keep negotiating to try and get the best possible deal, but coming out to the media to express how "insulted" you are is bush league for a guy who came from nowhere and turned in a solid half season. says to me we have yet another self important swelled head that could give a rats about the team and is looking to biatch and whine all he can to get more $$$. it's a shame.

again, push for all you can, just shut up about it and work it with the team. i also agree with egret's point around him not having as much leverage as he thinks and needs to prove himself beyond a few months of success. and while the top rookie salaries are huge, they are some of the most proven talent in the country vs. grant, an undrafted free agent with a good, but hardly dominating college career.

Normally I'd agree that it is in poor form to come out to the media about being insulted by their offer, but given that the spotlight is already on Green Bay, it's not a bad tactic from a negotiating standpoint. You know that they just want the media circus to go away, so you take advantage of it. That might not work as well with a team that is not already dealing with major pressure regarding their personnel decisions.

again, push for all you can, just shut up about it and work it with the team. i also agree with egret's point around him not having as much leverage as he thinks and needs to prove himself beyond a few months of success. and while the top rookie salaries are huge, they are some of the most proven talent in the country vs. grant, an undrafted free agent with a good, but hardly dominating college career.

So, are you implying that we should put more credence into how Forte looked running against Conf-USA Ds than how Grant did running against NFL Ds?

So, are you implying that we should put more credence into how Forte looked running against Conf-USA Ds than how Grant did running against NFL Ds?

i was referring to top rookies in general vs. forte specifically. grant can choose to use this comparison as leverage if he likes, but what the bears do and what the packers do are two different things.

Normally I'd agree that it is in poor form to come out to the media about being insulted by their offer, but given that the spotlight is already on Green Bay, it's not a bad tactic from a negotiating standpoint. You know that they just want the media circus to go away, so you take advantage of it. That might not work as well with a team that is not already dealing with major pressure regarding their personnel decisions.

while it may help him, it does not help the team. that was my point.

If they can't agree, then what? Arbitration?

No such thing. He can sign the 1 year tender offer ($350K) and show up in week 10 to start accruing a full year against his free agency status. Other than that, he doesn't have many options.

If they can't agree, then what? Arbitration?

He has until week 10 to come to some sort of agreement. By that time he has to agree to terms or he can choose to sit out the rest of the year - and the year does not count toward vesting for free-agent eligibility or other vereran benefits he he sits out the year. No arbitration is involved.

i was referring to top rookies in general vs. forte specifically. grant can choose to use this comparison as leverage if he likes, but what the bears do and what the packers do are two different things.

You make it sound like referencing contracts that other players are getting is some desperate and random way to negotiate. In fact, it is exactly how these things go down nearly all the time. Especially when you consider that the only team he can't use an example is his own team because if there was some example of what they've paid to their starting running back this year, they'd already have a starting RB and it wouldn't be him.

So, you reference the market. The same way that every single other player looking for a new contract does. When Larry Johnson was negotiating the other year, he wanted LT money. Whomever it is, they want "player x" money. Grant can and should point to other starting RBs in the league and expect to get a contract in that range. Certainly not LT money, mind you and he'd better be prepared to settle for an amount that rewards GB for locking him up 2 years before they had to.

None the less, it appears that they're offering the NFL version of chump change. Again, I say that without knowing all the details of the contract.

You make it sound like referencing contracts that other players are getting is some desperate and random way to negotiate. In fact, it is exactly how these things go down nearly all the time. Especially when you consider that the only team he can't use an example is his own team because if there was some example of what they've paid to their starting running back this year, they'd already have a starting RB and it wouldn't be him.

So, you reference the market. The same way that every single other player looking for a new contract does. When Larry Johnson was negotiating the other year, he wanted LT money. Whomever it is, they want "player x" money. Grant can and should point to other starting RBs in the league and expect to get a contract in that range. Certainly not LT money, mind you and he'd better be prepared to settle for an amount that rewards GB for locking him up 2 years before they had to.

None the less, it appears that they're offering the NFL version of chump change. Again, I say that without knowing all the details of the contract.

no problem with the practice of referring to others to try and get what you want. he can use whatever tactics he wants, but ultimately the packers will decide if the comparison is warranted and if it is consistent with how they run the organization. claiming that forte got more and that he wants more is fine, do it and see how far it gets you. my point is that i don't need to hear about how insulted he was at the current offer that is on the table for him. for a guy with only a few months success who was never drafted, i would like to see some humility and desire to prove he is not a fluke vs. going off on how insulted he is that he's not getting top dollar. if it were my team and a player went to the media like this during negotiations, i'd have to fight myself not to cut his ass outright.

1/2 a season, yet in that half he nearly became a 1000 yard rusher for the entire season :wacko:

The guy has talent!

What impressed me was he fit almost perfectly in that system. It seemed like he had been playing there for years.

On another team he may not be so effective but here he seemed a perfect fit. They'll work this out.

What impressed me was he fit almost perfectly in that system. It seemed like he had been playing there for years.

On another team he may not be so effective but here he seemed a perfect fit. They'll work this out.

What impressed me the most was the way he built on the fumbles early in the playoff game against Seattle, then decided to absolutely dominate that football game. They would not have contended last year without this kid, give him a bone. Of course we can never be certain so soon, but this kid really looks like the real deal. I would feel confident I would get a solid return if I gave this kid a little cash.