[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Is it beginning?

Swiss Cheezhead

From the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel...

Notes: Rodgers is jumping into camp with both feet

QB gets mobile during practice

By GREG A. BEDARD and TOM SILVERSTEIN

gbedard@journalsentinel.com

Posted: Aug. 1, 2008

Green Bay - Aaron Rodgers has never been afraid to move around the pocket to make a play.

So far in camp, Aaron Rodgers has seemingly always been on the move, rarely just standing in the pocket and throwing the ball.

But so far in training camp, the Green Bay Packers’ starting quarterback has seemingly always been on the move. Rare has been the play where Rodgers has just stood in the pocket and rifled the ball down the field.

“That’s good, that’s good practice,” coach Mike McCarthy said Friday night. “There’s five or six plays a game where the quarterback has to move his feet and to get those reps in live football or competitive drills like that, that’s outstanding work because that’s practical. It’s very realistic.”

McCarthy admitted that Rodgers’ protection hadn’t been the greatest because the Packers aren’t yet using some elements of their pass protection.

“You are going to get a little more push in the pocket than you’d like,” McCarthy said. “But it’s no excuse.”

Although the line play has struggled at times — Rodgers’ first play in the 2-minute drill resulted in a sack after a bad shotgun snap by center Junius Coston — Rodgers doesn’t appear to be going much beyond his initial read on the play, and then tries to make something happen with his feet.

“Is he jumping out there too early?” McCarthy asked rhetorically. “I don’t see that. I see him stepping up, playing within his feet, playing within his time clock and coming out at the right time.”

Since Rodgers was named the starter to replace Brett Favre, McCarthy has talked about the ability of the offense to do some more things because of Rodgers’ strength in throwing on the run. So far, though, both he and the offense have struggled to be consistent with the new approach.

Rodgers completed just three of nine passes during the 2-minute drill in the morning. He was 3 for 5 in the evening, including a 27-yard touchdown to Donald Driver. Rodgers also scrambled twice on the drive.

“We have to improve; we have to do a better job,” Rodgers said between practices. “We have to execute a little better.”

The story certainly wasn't negative in its tone, but it's hard not to read between the lines here. The pass pro is lacking, Rodgers is not looking good, and he himself is acknowledging that the offense is disappointing.

I hope this isn't a sign of things to come. :wacko:

You're right -- there are SOOOO many other newsworthy items to post before the preseason starts. :wacko:

Seriously, as a Packers fan, you don't find this interesting right now?

I've been reading the same struggles in camp. Perhaps he's better in games. Too early I think to make a judgement.

If he isn't the man they could still bring Favre back and transition to Brohm. They do still have options. If they do that I'd like the replacement QB to get some time in games.

Then from yesterday

The pass of the day was on the third play of a special category team period, when Aaron Rodgers dropped a touch pass over CB Jarrett Bush's shoulder and into the hands of WR Greg Jennings.

Edited by Randall

Not surprisingly, Rodgers isn't getting better as the Favre pressure increases. From the most recent JSOnline story, after tonight's scrimmage ...

Rodgers played poorly, completing seven of 20 passes for 84 yards and an interception in the end zone.

Afterward, he said, "I'm a football player, and I've got to focus on the things I can control, and that's playing football. With him coming back and if they do open up to a competition, I get a chance to compete. That's all I can ask for."

I realize this wouldn't mean much under normal circumstances. However, I'm a pretty big Rodgers supporter, and I just can't ignore how he seemingly hasn't capitalized on his opportunity as the starter (yet). Honestly, who WOULD succeed under this particular kind of scrutiny? Probably nobody. I'm just saying Rodgers isn't exactly making TT and MM look good right now.

It's Favre that doesn't look good. This whole pathetic charade is going to end in tears.

That's not much of a prediction. :D

This "charade" is an unprecedented level of weird in the history of the NFL. At the same time, it's not too difficult to understand. I can definitely comprehend the decisions each man involved has made. Those decisions have certainly been in conflict with each other, but each guy's motives are clear. That's why I haven't come down vehemently on either side of this thing. I don't get why some people (fans, observers, etc.) are getting so worked up about it -- it's good drama, and I don't think any involved party is doing anything outrageous or offensive. :wacko:

And this thread topic, to me, is a very important one. The one thing that could/can ultimately end the drama of the Favre situation is Aaron Rodgers performing at a consistently high level. Either he's not that good or the pressure is (understandably) affecting him. It doesn't really matter which it is; if he keeps it up, the result will be the same -- another season as the backup.

I am waiting for the ticker at the bottom of the ESPN News to read: Adam Schefter reports, citing "sources close to the Packers", Aaron Rodgers secretively offered $5 million for the 2008-09 season(and any season from here on out that Mr. Favre decides he wants to play) to "stink up the joint" in preseason and training camp and allow the "old man" to be weclomed back with open arms by everyone. In the deal, Rodgers will be asked to play in the Cowboys game on Sept 21st. Not to "start" but to "play" in the game. He will also be asked to groom Brian Brohm in the art of clipboard holding.

Maybe it is not a coincidence that the Packers have given in and are now having Favre come to camp. Brohm is a rookie and they may need to consider another avenue, in case Rodgers cannot get it done (I think he can, but what do I know).

I'm reading blogs from GB's training camp & seeing completely different reports - one of Rodgers being 11 for 15 in 11 on 11 drills with 2 TDs and 1 INT, another day with 7 of 8 passes completed in a 2 minute drill that went for a TD, with the only INC a throw-away to avoid a sack.

Pretty wide disparity in information here...

If there’s going to be a competition for the Green Bay Packers’ starting quarterback job, Aaron Rodgers believes he’s ready for it.

His play during Sunday’s annual Family Night scrimmage might suggest otherwise.

On the same day in which Brett Favre left his Mississippi compound and landed in Green Bay to officially end his retirement and begin his return to the NFL, Rodgers faced a crowd of 56,600 that had to sit through an hour-long rain delay before it watched a shaky performance by the man who since March believed he was about to begin his tenure as Favre’s successor.

Playing with the No. 1 offense, Rodgers completed just seven of 20 passes for 84 yards and ended his only crack at the two-minute drill by throwing an interception in the end zone on a ball that badly missed receiver Greg Jennings. A handful of plays before safety Aaron Rouse picked off Rodgers, some in the crowd began to boo.

“They’re booing all of us, probably me mostly,” Rodgers said. “So, yeah, I take it personally. But it’s not the first time, and it probably won’t be the last time.”

The question now – and one Rodgers surely wants answered – is this: Was that the last time this season that Rodgers will walk onto Lambeau Field as the Packers’ starting quarterback?

For his part, Rodgers said after the scrimmage that he had not been told how things would work when Favre takes the practice field for the first time, presumably on Tuesday. He said he hasn’t been told that there will be a head-to-head competition for the starting job but expects that to be the case.

“I’m a competitor. I’m going to compete,” Rodgers said. “This isn’t going to be easy. It’s going to be a dogfight. I know if they do open up the competition, not a lot of people will give me a chance. But I believe in myself, and I’m going to be the best I can be, and coach will decide from there.”

Though Rodgers’ stats were hurt by several dropped passes, at one point he suffered through a stretch with nine straight incompletions. Six of those came against the second-string defense. What’s more, Rodgers never faced the Packers’ top cornerbacks because Al Harris and Charles Woodson were held out of the scrimmage.

“I thought Aaron was solid,” Packers coach Mike McCarthy said. “The production wasn’t there, whether it was on the front or the back end of the pass play.”

“It a scrimmage,” McCarthy added. “It’s nice to stand up here and say when the offence scores four touchdowns in the scrimmage, boy we feel good about it. Then you watch the film, and it goes both ways. It’s never as good as you think it is, and it’s usually not as bad as you think it is. I’ll just say this, it’s quality film.”

Later in his news conference after the scrimmage, McCarthy said: “If we played a game tomorrow, Aaron Rodgers would be the starting quarterback. I’m not going to take any direction we’ve gone with this football team based on the information I have here today. That’s part of our conversation we’ll have (today), but we have all the confidence in the world in Aaron. I think he’s a player that’s on time. He’s earned this opportunity three years preparing for it, and I’ve very comfortable with him as our starting quarterback.”

In answering a group of reporters’ questions at his locker after the scrimmage, Rodgers said he held no ill feelings toward Favre for returning or toward the organization for possibly reneging on its statement that Rodgers was the starting quarterback.

“I think the organization has been put in a tough spot,” Rodgers said. “It’s a difficult situation when Brett decided to change his mind, but we’re going to welcome him back to the team. … I’ve got an opportunity. If I don’t win the competition, then I’ll support Brett, and we’ll move forward together.”

Behind the scenes, however, a source close to Rodgers painted a different picture of the quarterback’s mindset.

“If Favre comes back, Aaron is going to be hot,” the source said earlier Sunday.

The source suggested that if the Packers plan to give Favre his starting job back, they might be able to placate Rodgers by offering him a contract extension. His current deal, the one he signed after the Packers made him a first-round draft pick in 2005, runs through the 2009 season.

However, Rodgers told the Press-Gazette that the Packers haven't approached him about a contract extension, and that he’s not interested in one at this time.

“Not until I play,” Rodgers said. “There’s no point in extending my contract until I play.”

Imagine the animosity that Rodgers must feel towards Favre.

True, although imagine the animosity the GB faithful will have if Favre was/is shown the door and Rodgers stinks up the joint.

Edited by Hat Trick

True, although imagine the animosity the GB faithful will have if Favre was/is shown the door and Rodgers stinks up the joint.

It'll cost Thompson his job. Thompson is tying his credibility at GB to Rodgers - no matter what moves he made previously. That takes balls, whether he ends up being right (where he'll be an uber-genius) or wrong (where his legacy won't be turning the team around but rather the one who mishandled the Favre situation).

I think Thompson knows exactly what this represents and where he wants his chips lying.