[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Cable vs DirectTV vs Dish Network

wiegie

Which System is Best  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Which System is best?

• Charter Cable
    • DirectTV
    • Dish Network

Getting ready to move into a new house and I need to decide what sort of TV package to get. Given that I am NOT going to get the NFL Sunday Ticket (I have a Slingbox connection in St. Louis so I can watch all of the Rams games on my computer), which system is best?

Edited by wiegie

I've always had bad luck with any cable company I've dealt with so I'm biased against them. I've had nothing but superior service from DirecTv but others here bitch and moan about them plenty. I think it really is about your personal comfort level with any given company. Still, my money is on D*.

I've only had Comcast and Time Warner for Cable due to being in Philly and in Florida at one time...Time Warner didn't have the chance to screw me, but Comcast screws me every chance I get...

I had the Dish and their service is mediocre.....but DirecTV is right on the money with their HD programming....they have the 2nd best PQ (2nd to FioS) and they have plenty of channels for a nice deal if you have Verizon home phone...

the only problem is I can rarely ever get Phillies, Flyers or Sixers games....but oh well, I haven't had one headache in 6 months whereas Comcast is a headache every other month at best...

I love DirecTV but I don't have HD. Almost everyone I know with HD hates DirecTV.

As far as I am concerned, DirecTV is greatness.

as I said, their picture quality is the 2nd best and Verizon FioS costs an arm and a leg....plus Comcast is somehow not allowing Verizon FioS here anyways....

Comcast used to have great PQ with HD, but they downgraded when they added more channels....

from my experiences with HD...plus with what I know...the picture quality ranks go like so..

FioS

DirecTV

Comcast

Dish

and when it comes to headaches....Comcast is the only one that was trying to irritiate me nonstop by pretty much making up their own prices every time I called to ask why my bill is 300+ when it should only be about 130....

as I said, their picture quality is the 2nd best and Verizon FioS costs an arm and a leg....plus Comcast is somehow not allowing Verizon FioS here anyways....

Comcast used to have great PQ with HD, but they downgraded when they added more channels....

from my experiences with HD...plus with what I know...the picture quality ranks go like so..

FioS

DirecTV

Comcast

Dish

and when it comes to headaches....Comcast is the only one that was trying to irritiate me nonstop by pretty much making up their own prices every time I called to ask why my bill is 300+ when it should only be about 130....

I don't doubt it but I know about 5 people who are always biitching about their HD through DirecTV. I'm 100% satisfied with my DirectTV. If I ever go HD, I will stick with DirecTV until they prove to me they aren't the best.

I've had nothing but good experiences with DirecTV since Big F'n Dave recommended it to me about 5 years ago. Cable sucked.

I have no experience with the Dish Network; and since they don't have NFL sunday ticket, I never will.

If you're all about HD then go with DirecTV. I was a customer for a long time but they ultimately screwed me in the end. I'm with Charter now and have no complaints whatsoever but that's because it's virtually all free for me since I'm sleeping with one of their Marketing Managers. :wacko:

all I can really add is that I'm pretty happy with directv. customer service has been good the couple times I've had to use it. I guess the biggest pros with directv are lots of HD channels, and most of them are pretty good quality. biggest reason I can think of to go with cable would be on-demand.

the one difference between direct and dish is the receivers. the dish uses one rec. for 2 tvs. with direct, i think each tv has its own rec. so when i record something on my dish dvr, i can watch it on either the big tv or the bdrm tv. not sure if u can do that on direct.

I don't want to pay for home phone service, and DirectTV with partner Qwest (spit) has never been able to put together a combo of TV and internet that matches the price and features of what Comcast can give me.

For some reason, you HAVE to pay for a home phone to not get raped on internet with Qwest. And they are fricking idiots at every level.

So I have no problem with DTV per se... but since I have to work with Qwest to get the bundled internet, it's worthless to me.

Edited by AtomicCEO

Had DirecTV and liked it fine. Once I dumped the Ticket I switched to Dish and have not regretted it - it's a little less expensive and I've had fewer problems with the equipment.

Have thought about switching to comcast tv because I subscribe to their internet hookup, but their DVRs are more per month and record fewer hours than my Dish units. :wacko:

DirecTV sends me some pretty tempting promo offers once a week or so - maybe I'll switch back.

Love my DirecTV HD...never had any issues.

There is some new thing out by ATT called U-Verse. I think it's similar to FiOS. People come knocking on my door once a month trying to pitch me the products. It sounds interesting, but I haven't done my research...

• 1 year later...

Any new comments on Directv vs Dish Network?

I've had Directv for almost 10 years and have been pleased with their picture quality/service etc..

However, we are moving to a new house and I'm considering switching to Dish Network to save some money. The main differences I'm seeing are Directv has the Sunday Ticket but Dish Network is cheaper. Since I cancelled my Sunday Tix subscription last year anyways b/c it was getting too expensive, I'm not sure if I have a good reason to stick with Directv.

Ideally I'm looking to have 3 dual tuner HD DVR recievers in the house and probably bundle it with AT&T internet (wish i had another choice) for a discount.

New thoughts or opinions on both providers?

Any new comments on Directv vs Dish Network?

I've had Directv for almost 10 years and have been pleased with their picture quality/service etc..

However, we are moving to a new house and I'm considering switching to Dish Network to save some money. The main differences I'm seeing are Directv has the Sunday Ticket but Dish Network is cheaper. Since I cancelled my Sunday Tix subscription last year anyways b/c it was getting too expensive, I'm not sure if I have a good reason to stick with Directv.

Ideally I'm looking to have 3 dual tuner HD DVR recievers in the house and probably bundle it with AT&T internet (wish i had another choice) for a discount.

New thoughts or opinions on both providers?

Call DTV and ask them what they can do to keep your business over Dish. I'd be willing to bet they will cut you some sort of deal.