[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Baby Question

Shotgun Messiahs

My son is 4 1/2 months right now and the doctor is telling us every visit we need to start letting the baby sleep on his tummy. Which we are trying to right now. He has a flat head in the back right now from sleeping on his backside all the time. And when you look, you can see it. But if you just glance it's not noticeable. One of my wife's friends has three kids she says they had flat heads and their heads grew out just fine. Has anyone else experienced this or heard of this?

Thanks in advance for any advice or info.

My son had it. He was a preemie and they are really susceptible to it. He would always sleep with his head tilted to one side. Flat spot was noticeable but not enough to warrant the helmet. Once he began to sleep on his stomach and move around, it rounded out. Perfectly normal now.

Don't sweat it. It's very common. Just keep an eye on it and make sure you get proactive with it now. Otherwise you might need a helmet and those things can be very expensive...and some insurance companies won't cover it.

I think it will probably grow back to the right shape, but continuing the situation that is causing it to be flat in the first place over time could lead to a more long term situation. that's my stayed-at-holiday-inn-last-night take, anyway.

our little girl slept on her back until she got her first cold, around 5 months old. at that time we put her on her front to get better 'drainage' and now that's how she always wants to sleep.

Don't worry about this and do what the doc says. You baby's head will round out just fine.

All of my kids were flat-spotted to some degree or another and all have nice, round melons now.

Do place one of those foam ckocks under the child as he sleeps - this makes it less likely he'll plant his face straight into the bed.

You might want to get a second opinion.

I was told that once they can roll over and/or lift their head, the sleeping on their stomach thing is no longer as big an issue. certainly with my daughter, we didn't have a choice -- we'd put her on her back, and she'd roll over. I'm sure their doctor knows what he/she is doing.

Meh on the flat head, and meh on the suffocation. Our youngest NEVER slept on her back. She's always been a "snuggler" and she slept on her stomach from the word go. Little chubby knees and arms all under her - just like she was curled up in the womb.

I do understand - first baby and all, and you're worried about it. I really don't think it's a big deal, and the same to Opie about the suffocation scare.

Meh on the flat head, and meh on the suffocation. Our youngest NEVER slept on her back. She's always been a "snuggler" and she slept on her stomach from the word go. Little chubby knees and arms all under her - just like she was curled up in the womb.

I do understand - first baby and all, and you're worried about it. I really don't think it's a big deal, and the same to Opie about the suffocation scare.

I'm not freaking out. We are seeking other opinions right now. The doctor appears to be pushing the subject more and more. We just wanna make sure we do the right thing. I don't see alot of 30-40 year olds with flat heads from the sids scare.

I don't see alot of 30-40 year olds with flat heads from the sids scare.

That's because it has only been about a decade or so since they started advising parents to make their babies sleep on their backs (prior to that the advice was to have babies sleep on their stomach so that they wouldn't choke on their own vomit if they threw up).

I'm also surprised that your doctor is telling you to sleep the baby on its stomach, as I also thought the standard advice was "back to sleep" until the baby could rollover on its own.

I'm not freaking out. We are seeking other opinions right now. The doctor appears to be pushing the subject more and more. We just wanna make sure we do the right thing. I don't see alot of 30-40 year olds with flat heads from the sids scare.

My daughter-in-law just had a baby and the doctor at her 1 week check up said letting her sleep on her stomach is no big deal, in fact he encouraged it.

:wacko: Paging Dr. Chargerz!!!

You rang?!?!

I just want to echo the other posters in this thread who have said head shape tends to take care of itself. A 4 1/2 month old's noggin is so soft it will flatten out where it meets the crib most, but that is purely temporary. In the long run your son's head shape should round out. :D

My daughter-in-law just had a baby and the doctor at her 1 week check up said letting her sleep on her stomach is no big deal, in fact he encouraged it.

I think it's fantastic our medical professionals have achieved a broad consensus on such a simple subject.

I f'in hate the medical profession.

I forgot to mention in my first post about the sleep positioner (foam thing someone mentioned). We used this and it worked wonders. He actually slept better. Ours was on a slight incline and it had little foam bumpers on the side to keep him snuggled. It takes the pressure off of the back of the head. We did this for a month or so until I felt comfortable laying him on his stomach.

In fairness, the "back to sleep" campaign has made a dramatic impact in the SIDS rates, along with things like making sure the bedding is snug, avoiding loose comforters, etc, that could cause suffocation. Unfortunately, the flattening that some babies get from constantly sleeping in the same position is increasing as a result.

I'd try not to panic about the flat spot, but try to encourage the little tyke to sleep in varied positions if possible. Once the rolling over starts, there's pretty much no dictating it anyhow.

My youngest daughter had a reflux issue. Our doctor suggested that when she was napping she should be on an incline. She used to sleep in her car seat all the time. She had a hugh bald spot :wacko: and a flat head. When the reflux thing went away over time and she was able to sleep full time in the bed her hair and head shape went back to normal. Try a sids pillow that will keep your baby on his side