[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Olympics on TV

AtomicCEO

Yeah I watched the Indonesia-China gold medal game yesterday and was pretty impressed.

Pretty blah stuff on so far today...

If the other channel doesn't stop running boxing all day long, I'm going to kill someone.

Who likes Olympic boxing? It sucks.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the other channel doesn't stop running boxing all day long, I'm going to kill someone.

Who likes Olympic boxing? It sucks.

:wacko:

Got womens' indoor volleyball (Poland w/ some hotties :D vs. USA) on NBC and mixed badminton on MSNBC.

Thinking of taking a nap. :D

Edited by darin3

Man, mens' indoor volleyball team is unstoppable. Undefeated in pool play and handing a decent Japan team it's collective asssssses.

Exciting mens' beach volleyball game last night. Our blocker guy Delhausser or whatever is badass. There are some better twosomes out there, but we'll have a chance at gold I think.

What's up with the speed walking? I didn't even know it existed - saw it, and thought it was a special olympics race. :wacko:

I feel the same way about handball. My dad tells me that when he was a kid in Brooklyn they played handball after school. You get a raquetball and swat it against a wall and the other guy has to swat it back into the wall before 2 bounces. Then I turn on Olympic handball and said "what the hell is this??".

watched three seconds of women's volleyball.

Do they really need to cheer and have a group hug after each point?

I mean the other team serves the ball in the net, and the whole opposing team raises their fist in the air, whoops, hollers and then gets together for a group hug as if they just won gold. That's around 120 group hugs a game in a tight 4 setter :wacko:

I really wanted to like this as well, but just couldn't get into it with the weird full-body touch outfits the contestants wear today.

Fencing, even in person is NOT a great spectator sport, even if you know what is going on. The blades are moving so fast and some of the moves are so compact and fast, that you never see the touch until the equipment or judge is signaling a touch.

As well as playing football and Lacrosse in college, my third sport was fencing. I specialized in the Épée (a heavy thrusting weapon; the valid target area covers the entire body; double touches are allowed.) I liked it the most because it sympolized to me the most realistic form of the three fencing styles. It is based on the old dueling concept of drawing "first blood" rather than actually killing your opponent outright. Any "sword fighting" that excludes areas of the body as a valid "touch", to me was pointless. Worse, foil has "right-of-way" rules that force you to perry (block) an attack before countering, the most famous and gheyest option of the three. Épée can also be a little more risky since the thicker, heavier blade has been known to snap during an attack and then penetrate through even the wire face mask. A few people have been killed this way, but it is rare. Sabre is cool because you can use the edge of the blade to "touch" your opponent (but still limits target area to above the waist excluding back of the head and the hands), whereas Épée and foil only count the "point" of the blade (nature of the sword design factored into the rules). The guys and girls that specialized in sabre were the most obvious off the mat out of gear. They always had these long, skinny, purple welts on various parts of their bodies since they were always whacking the sh!t out of each other. I stayed away from that since the other sports left me battered and I needed to heal. Another tip off to the fencers was to look at their legs. The nature of the fencing stance would make one thigh and the opposite calf noticably larger than the other. :D

I got very good at the Épée and hoped for an Olympic moment. Our coach was a Medal winner from Japan. Got a taste of nationals, but went down in a blaze of glory. :wacko:

As a side note, one of the training methods used by Foil and Épée is to hang a golf ball from the cieling by a string and use it as a "speed bag" (like in boxing). It helps with "point control" and accuracy.

I feel the same way about handball. My dad tells me that when he was a kid in Brooklyn they played handball after school. You get a raquetball and swat it against a wall and the other guy has to swat it back into the wall before 2 bounces. Then I turn on Olympic handball and said "what the hell is this??".

I always had called that sport "racketball."

i just watched BMX Supercross. i had no idea that was an olympic sport. it was perfect: easy to understand ("go ride your bike and beat those other guys"), it had wipeouts and mayhem and it was over in about a minute.

First year they've done it. Kind of surprised it's taken this long to get it in... but it 's more of an "X Game" type of thing. Did some cat from LATVIA win the gold there? :wacko: Weird.

First year they've done it. Kind of surprised it's taken this long to get it in... but it 's more of an "X Game" type of thing. Did some cat from LATVIA win the gold there? :wacko: Weird.

well, if snowboarding is a winter olympics sport ...

yeah, a latvian won the men's race, with americans placing second and third. in the women's, two french chicks got gold and silver, with an american in third. (the british woman, who was heavily favored, plowed into the back tire of the french winner and flew off her bike on the last turn. ouch.)

i just watched BMX Supercross. i had no idea that was an olympic sport. it was perfect: easy to understand ("go ride your bike and beat those other guys"), it had wipeouts and mayhem and it was over in about a minute.

Nice, sounds like an "all nighter" with the wife. :wacko: