[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

This has always puzzled me

T-Scorp

Was having lunch with a customer at a chinese restaruant and notice 6 or 7 clearly non-asians eating with chopsticks. Why? :wacko: Does the food taste better? Are they trying to impress the wait staff? Do they feel cool being able to use chopsticks? :D

Anyone who does this care to explain?

Was having lunch with a customer at a chinese restaruant and notice 6 or 7 clearly non-asians eating with chopsticks. Why? :wacko: Does the food taste better? Are they trying to impress the wait staff? Do they feel cool being able to use chopsticks? :D

Anyone who does this care to explain?

Before I answer...let's set the parameters.... only Asians are allowed to use chopsticks. No one else is allowed to use them. Well, without an ulterior motive that is.

I mentioned the non Asian because my thought would be that they grew up eating with a fork/knife/spoon. Was not trying to say only asians are allowed to use them. :wacko:

I don't each much sushi or Chinese food. But when I eat sushi, I use chopsticks, despite not being very good at it. :wacko: I think it just lends itself to the "experience". I typically only eat Chinese if it's take-out (and my wife is craving it), so just eat that with a fork since it's at home.

I mentioned the non Asian because my thought would be that they grew up eating with a fork/knife/spoon. Was not trying to say only asians are allowed to use them. :wacko:

Just making sure of the parameters.

As a whole host of Huddlers can attest...I am not Asian. Never have been, am not now, and at my age probably never will be. However, since I was about 5, when going to a Chinese-American restaurant I used chopsticks. In fact.... if you wanted regular utensils you had to ask for them in those days as you only had chopsticks at the table when you sat down. Now, after all these years, I find it hard not to eat with chopsticks when eating out at a Chinese-American restaurant.

No one I know ever thought about impressing anyone, wanted to be cool, and the food was great even when you used your fingers..so that ain't it either.

why are they continuing to be used (chopsticks that is) when a better more efficent/effective way to eat has been attained (i.e. fork, spoon, knife)??

It's like still going to an outdoor outhouse when you have indoor plumbing??

Edited by millerx

As a whole host of Huddlers can attest...I am not Asian. Never have been, am not now, and at my age probably never will be. However, since I was about 5, when going to a Chinese-American restaurant I used chopsticks. In fact.... if you wanted regular utensils you had to ask for them in those days as you only had chopsticks at the table when you sat down. Now, after all these years, I find it hard not to eat with chopsticks when eating out at a Chinese-American restaurant.

No one I know ever thought about impressing anyone, wanted to be cool, and the food was great even when you used your fingers..so that ain't it either.

OK that a great answer, thanks. :wacko:

why are they continuing to be used (chopsticks that is) when a better more efficent/effective way to eat has been attained (i.e. fork, spoon, knife)??

It's like still going to an outside when you have indoor plumbing??

I like the chopsticks and peeing outside too.

It's like still going to an outside when you have indoor plumbing??

It's good to know that there are those out there that will always insist that their way is better.

If one knows how to use chopsticks they are plenty effective/efficient. They seem to have worked fine for eons. In fact... I would hazard a guess that more people use chopsticks than don't.

Not try to be a smart :wacko: but have you tried eating other types of food with them? I would imagine that certian types of food lend themselves to being eaten better or worse with chopsticks.

+3.....

generations :wacko:

Not try to be a smart :wacko: but have you tried eating other types of food with them? I would imagine that certian types of food lend themselves to being eaten better or worse with chopsticks.

Without a doubt. A good steak does not embrace chopsticks well. One needs a knife too. :D

But other than soups and other liquid dishes I have found that chopsticks do just fine for most anything. Once in awhile you may need a knife too...but once the food is cut chopsticks work just fine.

ya know, sometimes I'll use the chopsticks, sometimes I'll grab the fork. I guess I don't have a strong opinion either way.

but what I'd like to know is why people at ethnic restaurants always order some crappy lager beer from that country? crappy lager beer is not part of any culture....or rather, it is part of EVERY culture. it would be like asking the waiter to bring some ketchup, but make sure the ketchup has chinese characters on the label. :wacko:

ya know, sometimes I'll use the chopsticks, sometimes I'll grab the fork. I guess I don't have a strong opinion either way.

but what I'd like to know is why people at ethnic restaurants always order some crappy lager beer from that country? crappy lager beer is not part of any culture....or rather, it is part of EVERY culture. it would be like asking the waiter to bring some ketchup, but make sure the ketchup has chinese characters on the label. :wacko:

:D Yeah...I have never been able to figure that out either. Why ruin the meal? Me...I drink the tea.

BTW, I went to McDonalds when I was in Paris. :D But mostly so I could have a beer in McDonalds.

I have to travel to Amsterdam quite a bit nowadays. After 4 or 5 days of eating in Dutch (or Italian, Chinese, etc.) restaruants, I usually find myself having a meal at McDonald's or Burger King once during the week (only when by myself as I don't want my Euro friends to know I'm a dork).

They charge you for ketchup and mayonaisse however. :wacko: