[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Kevin Smith - Info request

MrTed46

Personally, I think Smith will have to underacheive to not be able to beat out Bell for significant playing time ... I'd look for something like this from Smith, with potential for more:

Rush - 950 / 6

Recv - 20 / 170 / 1

... then again, since I just drafted him about 4 hous ago to be a spot start/bye week filler in my local league, chances are he'll turn out to be the second coming of Artose Pinner or something ... but for now, my bet is that he will be a serviceble FF player this season.

Edited by ts

Personally, I think Smith will have to underacheive to not be able to beat out Bell for significant playing time ... I'd look for something like this from Smith, with potential for more:

Rush - 950 / 6

Recv - 20 / 170 / 1

... then again, since I just drafted him about 4 hous ago to be a spot start/bye week filler in my local league, chances are he'll turn out to be the second coming of Artose Pinner or something ... but for now, my bet is that he will be a serviceble FF player this season.

I just drafted him as my #3RB so I am interested. I do not feel comfortable with him but I had no choice that is why I am asking.

Thanks for input.

As a Lions fan, I find it a little interesting that he has the job locked up when he was only a 3rd round selection and didn't impress greatly in the preseason (sans the 35 yd TD run). We all hope he will take the job that's been handed to him and do something with it. I'm just not sure what he's done to say that will happen. Big time gamble in my opinion. He will certainly be helped if Calvin Johnson and Roy Williams perform as expected to open up the run.

Shouldn't the run open up the pass? The Lions will not win much without above average RB to open up the pass and keep that lousy defense off the field. A playmaker that defenses will have to key on...they could have used a McFadden type with all those good draft picks to pick/trade up with. Felix Jones would have looked nice there, to name one rookie.

Shouldn't the run open up the pass? The Lions will not win much without above average RB to open up the pass and keep that lousy defense off the field. A playmaker that defenses will have to key on...they could have used a McFadden type with all those good draft picks to pick/trade up with. Felix Jones would have looked nice there, to name one rookie.

The Lions must have liked Kevin Smith alot more than people realize cause they actually traded up in the third to get him. Plus, Marinelli wants to be more effective in the run which is why Martz was probably let go. Just because Smith isn't flashy doesn't mean he won't be effective. I'd be more worried about the O-line than Smith's abilities, look what a bad O-line did to LJ.

The fact that the Lions are working Rudi out shows a lot about the confidence they have in their current RBs. I think Smith will be ok this year (perhaps 1,000 yards and 6 TDs), but I doubt that he will do much more. As mentioned above, Tatum Bell isn't the problem. The offensive line is average at best. In this case I think the passing game will actually open things up for the run. It's not like he will be facing 8 man fronts.

It's not like he will be facing 8 man fronts.

Spot on. An 8-man front would mean the other team's D is counting on someone to cover either Williams or Johnson, if not both, man-to-man. That's a really bad plan to attempt to execute with any regularity. I think Smith will be, at the very least, solid.

From Kowalski

Ernest: Is Rudi Johnson here as a specialized back (i.e. short yardage, goal-line) or is he going to compete for the stating job?

Tom Kowalski: Johnson won't be a speciality back. I think he and Kevin Smith are going to share the workload, regardless of who is considered the starter.

From Kowalski

Ernest: Is Rudi Johnson here as a specialized back (i.e. short yardage, goal-line) or is he going to compete for the stating job?

Tom Kowalski: Johnson won't be a speciality back. I think he and Kevin Smith are going to share the workload, regardless of who is considered the starter.

My biggest fear... totally sucks as a KS owner

I'm scared that Rudi might be the best back there....wasn't scared when Tatum was there.

He hasn't stayed healthy. This year he lost weight and thought he was in the best health of his life yet couldn't see the practice field.

I am the only one that thinks Rudi's signing was more an indictment of Tatum Bell than Kevin Smith? :wacko:

Tinker Bell never was anything. At least Rudi has had some success in the league. But I do agree... I don't see Rudi resurrecting his career in Detroit. Resurrecting your career in Detroit... that's one of those oxymorons isn't it?

Completely off this topic but for Lions fans/Lions FF owners... The Curse of Bobby Lane expires soon :D

Edited by kingfish247