[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Is it wrong to cite wikipedia in a scientific paper?

polksalet

I am doing a lab report and the best and easiest source for the data is on Wikipedia. Is it wrong to cite something like that?

yes, yes, a thousand times yes

(although it is perfectly acceptable for hospital doctors and nurses to consult wikipedia when treating patients with rare conditions) :wacko:

yes, yes, a thousand times yes

(although it is perfectly acceptable for hospital doctors and nurses to consult wikipedia when treating patients with rare conditions) :wacko:

even if the prof refers to wiki in his lectures?

as a recent grad (May 2008), and an English major: never, never ever, cite Wikipedia in an academic paper. depending on your university, you should have access to many online sources through the school's library.

grad school seems to have different rules than undergrad did, especially in this field

Are you f'n serious?

Unless you push the limits you will never know where the limits are. I have spent my academic career trying to see what I can get away with.

The real problem is that I wish to quote/cite a summary and compare and contrast my conclusions about this topic. Wiki is the only place I can find anything less than 1,200 words that I could quote and have it make any kind of sense. Because this entire paper is supposed to remain less than 1,000 words I am having extreme difficulties. The wiki article has dummed it down a lot.

Oh, I see. Are you writing a f'n scientific paper or cliff diving?

This is just a large lab report. I am trying to figure how to explain something deep in a few words so while technically is a scientifc paper im not trying to show anything new

grad school seems to have different rules than undergrad did, especially in this field

Welcome to the majors, noob. :wacko:

You will also become acquainted with APA style, and abandon Microsoft Word's "helpful" grammar checker.

You should also find your sh1t is being checked, so be careful with the quotes, paraphrases and reference listings.

Edited by cre8tiff

Welcome to the majors, noob. :wacko:

You will also become acquainted with APA style, and abandon Microsoft Word's "helpful" grammar checker.

You should also find your sh1t is being checked, so be careful with the quotes, paraphrases and reference listings.

"I" AM the majors. I thought you had been here long enough to know that.