[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

So lets say the world economy were to fail.

tbimm

Seriously....... Your 401 K's are gone. No retirement. Wall Street takes a Great Depression like fall. Banks and investment companies are going down like flies hanging out with Mr Miagie.

Could you do it? Could you keep your family fed and find a way to make money? Are you able to survive in that environment?

Just wondering if any other Huddlers think about the worst case economic scenario?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Could you do it? Could you keep your family fed and find a way to make money? Are you able to survive in that environment?

Who needs to make money if it isn't worth anything?

I saw an amazing picture, can't remember where, of a woman in the great depression. She was heating her house by burning bricks of money. According to the caption, it was cheaper than firewood.

I think the barter system would kinda be cool. So would a Mad Max type scenario. I'm game for anything!

Who needs to make money if it isn't worth anything?

I saw an amazing picture, can't remember where, of a woman in the great depression. She was heating her house by burning bricks of money. According to the caption, it was cheaper than firewood.

I think the barter system would kinda be cool. So would a Mad Max type scenario. I'm game for anything!

That picture was almost certainly taken in Germany in the early 1920s.

After the initial raiding of the local markets and stores for canned food and other necessities...

I guess I'd learn to farm.

River half a mile away, so I could get fresh water. Lakes close too.

Can definitely fish, clam, and crab within a mile.

Some wildlife, but they would die out quick. Would need to venture out further towards the mountains.

A feudal lord would arise. Hopefully, I can withstand being the lowest serf.

I think we're better prepared than most, but not yet to my satisfaction. I'd like to have more non-perishable food on hand and we need more toiletry type stuff in stock. We've got enough medical and emergency supplies - only short emergency surgical kit which we'll have by the end of the month. We've got several hundred gallons of bottled water in the basement.

We've got the gear and knowledge to procure fresh protein by animal, bird or fish.

I wish my home was better fortified. I've always wanted to put in steel doors and door casings along with more secure windows. I also have planned to put in a wood burning stove, but haven't done it yet. We do have tons of blankets and sleeping bags - enough to keep warm with no heat source.

We've got work to do and there's no time like the present. :wacko:

I think we're better prepared than most, but not yet to my satisfaction. I'd like to have more non-perishable food on hand and we need more toiletry type stuff in stock. We've got enough medical and emergency supplies - only short emergency surgical kit which we'll have by the end of the month. We've got several hundred gallons of bottled water in the basement.

We've got the gear and knowledge to procure fresh protein by animal, bird or fish.

I wish my home was better fortified. I've always wanted to put in steel doors and door casings along with more secure windows. I also have planned to put in a wood burning stove, but haven't done it yet. We do have tons of blankets and sleeping bags - enough to keep warm with no heat source.

This is kinda what I was looking for but you have more of a Hurricane kit than an actual survival plan.

I live in a city that has been through this sort of thing to a much lesser degree but it has allowed me the opportunity to know what it really takes to survive. I feel it will be a barter/survival type of deal. If you have an actual skill that is valuable you will survive. If you don't you better have lots of ammo or something somebody wants!

People would always be willing to trade food, shelter, and clothing in exchange for an explanation as to how we got in this condition...right?

:wacko:

(If worse came to worse, I would move my family down to my dad's. He lives out on the country next to a bunch of farmers. I am still in decent enough shape that I could earn my keep (and that of my family) as a farm worker.)

Replace the word money with Commodity! Your cash is worthless!

Bingo. Cash will be worthless or nearly so. We should have a good supply of day to day commodities and a plan to replace the absolute basics as they run out.

Things like generators and chain saws are nice, but they're very short term items. If and when things really go south, a good axe will be worth more than the nicest of generators.

.I have equipment, weaponry, clothes, and experience to head up in the mountains for moons upons moons with my family

What a bunch of weirdness from the people who voted for the leaders who put us in this position in the first place. Is this your illogical over-dramatized way of saying you're sorry to the rest of us that had it right all along?

I think it is. :wacko:

:D:D:D:D:D